Makita 6421 or EA6100

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ambull01

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Anyone own/owned these two saws or ran them enough to get a good idea of the pros and cons? I have the EA6100 now, bought it as a used HD saw. I haven’t been able to really fine tune the carb settings yet, seems finicky compared to the 6421 I had.

Just found a 6421 for sale at a HD near me for a bit over $300. I’m really tempted to get it and sell this 6100. Anyone prefer the 6100 over the 6421? I loved the last 6421 I had, never had an issue with it. I was too nice and gave it away to a friend, been kicking myself ever since lol.

Did you verify it is a 6421? I thought most Home Depot’s changed to the 6100 several years ago. The HD rental site I’ve looked at shows rental 6421s for sale but if I call they are 6100s.

Did you verify it is a 6421? I thought most Home Depot’s changed to the 6100 several years ago. The HD rental site I’ve looked at shows rental 6421s for sale but if I call they are 6100s.
Yep lol. Called them up and it was as actually a 5600 I believe, didn’t pay attention to the model number once the first two digits wasn’t a 64. The manual showed 6421 and the the specs showed 64cc so it seems they dont change those things immediately.

For tuning the 6100, put it in a large block of wood and tune it while you cut. It likes to be tuned quite a bit leaner than the limiter. Any lower than the limiter, and they are way too rich and will usually spit and sputter and die after a long cut.

My 6100 has been rather frustrating as to the tuning. I did not touch it for a few years but it would oscillate in revs in use too much. Making it run better in the cut yielded not being able to re-start it. I am at 1 3/4 turn out on the high now and when I deviate to make it run better all of a sudden I can't re start it. Burning it up by bad adjustment anywhere from all the way in to 4 trurns out has not happened.

Latest posts

Back