Bigger firewood saw vs. longer bar & skip chain... Weight driven question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally, I'm a fan of 16 or 18 inch bars on (stock) 50 cc saws like the Stihl 026 / ms260 and wouldn't put a bigger one on there, whether it pulls it or not. I've put down a 32 inch cherry with my 026, with a 16 on it... you 're pushing them and have to be careful not to go 'too far' but it if it's just occasional... you just have to learn to line up your cuts. And, as if it should be mentioned, your chain should be razor sharp :cool:.

That being said, I realised I needed something more and bought a 90 and a 70cc saw. The 70cc, an 044, came with an 18 inch bar that I will replace eventually, for the 064/660 hybrid I bought a 24 and a 36 inch bar.
A saw with a dull chain is just a blunt object to hit someone with! 🤷 Just thought Id mention it.

50cc saws stock can run a 20 inch bar all day, don't bare down every cut and you will be fine. My 550 did, my 261 and 346xp both do wear a 20, 25 inch on my 400c, and a 28 or 25 inch on my 462 ported, and a 32 on my rarely used 066.

The ne 400c with a 25inch bar is one of the best saws I have run, just my 2 cents. Perfect for felling, junking, limping, nice weight and perfect balance. I go for it before my ported saws, just super comfortable with that saw.

50cc saws stock can run a 20 inch bar all day, don't bare down every cut and you will be fine. My 550 did, my 261 and 346xp both do wear a 20, 25 inch on my 400c, and a 28 or 25 inch on my 462 ported, and a 32 on my rarely used 066.
Yes, I agree! Don't Bare down on it! Fir years I knew no other way!!! Until one day I realized all that time! I had been running my saw with the chain on backwards!🤷

The ne 400c with a 25inch bar is one of the best saws I have run, just my 2 cents. Perfect for felling, junking, limping, nice weight and perfect balance. I go for it before my ported saws, just super comfortable with that saw.
What do you mean by junking and limping ?🤔 Do you use it as a cane or is it just a lame piece of junk?🤷

The 260 stock is a turd and won't cut for **** with a 20" bar in any type of hardwood.
Wouldn't call it a turd, my 2 026's have been incredibly useful and reliable for years...

But it all depends. It's also a cultural/regional thing, here in Western Europe long bars are far from common, even for professionals. A couple of years ago I watched an arborist put down a pretty huge fir which was standing right next to a friend's house. He's one of the best guys in Belgium, great reputation, loads of equipment as well as training/certificates. He brought one saw, which a company sent him for testing (might have been a Shindaiwa, didn't know the brand back then in any case). He used it for climbing, felling the remaining log, and cutting it up in larger lenghts, for milling. The saw was 'tiny', in the eyes of a lot of people here, guess it was a 50 or maybe 60cc, with a properly (probably perfectly) sharpened chain. The whole process took maybe half an hour, he was at the top of the tree in no time, but the felling was fascinating, at least to me: rather than making one big face cut, as you would with a long bar, he made it by taking out smaller portions, one after the other; he then made a bore cut, burying the bar almost completely, and then 'simply' turned the saw around, in a move that seemed almost gracious to me. Perfectly lined up, tree landed where he planned it to. Oh and the saw didn't have any issues with it at all.

I learned a thing or two that day... :cool:

Wouldn't call it a turd, my 2 026's have been incredibly useful and reliable for years...

But it all depends. It's also a cultural/regional thing, here in Western Europe long bars are far from common, even for professionals. A couple of years ago I watched an arborist put down a pretty huge fir which was standing right next to a friend's house. He's one of the best guys in Belgium, great reputation, loads of equipment as well as training/certificates. He brought one saw, which a company sent him for testing (might have been a Shindaiwa, didn't know the brand back then in any case). He used it for climbing, felling the remaining log, and cutting it up in larger lenghts, for milling. The saw was 'tiny', in the eyes of a lot of people here, guess it was a 50 or maybe 60cc, with a properly (probably perfectly) sharpened chain. The whole process took maybe half an hour, he was at the top of the tree in no time, but the felling was fascinating, at least to me: rather than making one big face cut, as you would with a long bar, he made it by taking out smaller portions, one after the other; he then made a bore cut, burying the bar almost completely, and then 'simply' turned the saw around, in a move that seemed almost gracious to me. Perfectly lined up, tree landed where he planned it to. Oh and the saw didn't have any issues with it at all.

I learned a thing or two that day... :cool:
Great story! Longer bars were originally designed for reach when you "need" it. Now days folks buy them mostly because the "want" it. Less or no bending down. Laziness basically. I use to practice face cuts on old big stumps with 20" and sometimes 24" bars so when I did finally get turned loose in big timber with 32" I at least had some practice. No school fir it. You can explain how to take a face out of big timber a hundred times to someone who's never done it. Then hand them the saw and their face will STIHL look like a hockey players grill when they are done. It takes time. Lots of time. To get to the level of the arborist at your friends house that day! Unless one is in the profession as an apprentice working on becoming a journey man arborist? Your average weekend warrior with a saw will never succeed at reaching the level of journey man arborist! Same goes for Felling timber. 👍

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!

I'm a bit 'more' than a weekend warrior, but not much, as most of my cutting is during the weekends :D . Plus, a big portion of my days off from work, I'd rather be cutting than wasting time on some beach or whatever!
I learned from my dad, who during his lifetime cut into his legs twice, never wore ppe, etc. So I learned a lot of things wrong... Rest I learned 'on the job', from watching people, and then there was youtube; although there's a lot of bs there too, it's great to pick up sth from there ('Guilty of Treeson' has a video on face cuts that I really liked) and be able to apply it, which happened to me on a few occasions.
Never had an accident or damage to properties, even though sometimes I had to put down trees next to buildings, fences, ... but I always took my time, and in the beginning used to climb up (with a ladder) to attach a rope or cable for pulling (only gently), manually or with a car, just 'to be sure'.

60cc would be an significant improvement to pull a 24inch bar but in 25in + hardwood you would rather have 70ish or larger to speed things up. I like my Husqvarna 365 Special with 24inch but usually will go for my 064 if the wood is much over 20in. Bigger saw is significantly faster then maxing out a smaller saw. If I have much wood near 30in its worth breaking out the 395xp . Saves a lot of time and it feels good cutting wood effortlessly. In small wood it will wear u out going from cut to cut. Big saw works good for noodling in place of splitting also.
If i were in your shoes 64cc to 90cc depending how much time you want to spend cutting your big stuff. I wouldn't worry about buying something to big as long as you can start it easy enough. You have plenty of smaller saws to use in smaller wood.

Only dual chains need dogs and my 026 loves eating balsa wood to. That thing sounds badass.

Theres a few bar lengths that shouldn't be on the market.
16 20 24 25

Leavs you with 18 28 32 to choose from makes life much simpler.
🤔 Dosent it also leave you with 12 14 30 34 36 42 48 50 60 62 72 and 84 to choose from? 🤷

28 and 48 is splenty for most cutting.

I will give the bear carving saw guys a choice in carving bar. Thats potentially less than 28".

I'm a bit 'more' than a weekend warrior, but not much, as most of my cutting is during the weekends :D . Plus, a big portion of my days off from work, I'd rather be cutting than wasting time on some beach or whatever!
I learned from my dad, who during his lifetime cut into his legs twice, never wore ppe, etc. So I learned a lot of things wrong... Rest I learned 'on the job', from watching people, and then there was youtube; although there's a lot of bs there too, it's great to pick up sth from there ('Guilty of Treeson' has a video on face cuts that I really liked) and be able to apply it, which happened to me on a few occasions.
Never had an accident or damage to properties, even though sometimes I had to put down trees next to buildings, fences, ... but I always took my time, and in the beginning used to climb up (with a ladder) to attach a rope or cable for pulling (only gently), manually or with a car, just 'to be sure'.
Roger, by no means was I calling you Sir in particular a "weekend warrior". I was just stating that many people that operate and enjoy running power saws on a regular basis will never reach the level that professional timber faller or Arborist is at. At least not without the proper training and experience gained over a long period of time. That's all I was getting at. Professional arborists are truly impressive and its something else to watch them work. Especially when they are piecing out really big and tall trees. Wether it be conifer or hard woods. My hat is off to them. However, I can appreciate all levels as long they are safe and willing to listen snd learn from those with more experience. 👍 Nobody knows it all. NOBODY! 😉 If you get a chance? check out the thread "New Thread" here on the forum. I often visit and read their post but never post myself. They are their own sort if you know what I mean.👍

Latest posts

Back