Bigger firewood saw vs. longer bar & skip chain... Weight driven question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a fan of 20" bars on 50cc saws, although mine (mk1 550) is ported, so power isn't an issue. It'd cut faster with the .325, but it's happy running loop of 3/8 full comp chisel.

My most commonly used bar size is 28"...it's what I run most of time on my 70cc saws, as well as my 400. My 500i runs a 32", and finally the 066 runs a 36" almost all the time. I do have some 25" bars, but they get used for testing out saws I build, I don't really do much work with them. I'm running lightweight bars mostly. I won't talk about my large mount bars for my large saw.

My climbing saws run 16" bars, but they're cheating...both ported and it's only picco chain of course.

25cc of fury:

Oh! You "are" a fan of 20" on a 50cc. Ok, got it! Miss read your post the first time Sierra. Anyways... 🤔Now then where were we? Oh yes, 50" on a 20cc hu? Next thing your going to tell us is your a fan of a 28" on a 60cc I bet! 🤣😉

Wouldn’t have posted it if it was BS.
First let me make clear that mean no offense and I'm not calling you a lier. That being said. A really hot hopped up 50cc with an 20" vs a stock 70cc with a 32" both pulling 20 inches of wood? I might bite on that. Both spinning 20" loops pulling 20"? Id like to see it! You got video of it?

Then lets clear the table off and start over by slapping a 32" on a hopped 50cc vs 20" on a stock 70cc? Then show me what's up.👍 😉

First let me make clear that mean no offense and I'm not calling you a lier. That being said. A really hot hopped up 50cc with an 20" vs a stock 70cc with a 32" both pulling 20 inches of wood? I might bite on that. Both spinning 20" loops pulling 20"? Id like to see it! You got video of it?

Then lets clear the table off and start over by slapping a 32" on a hopped 50cc vs 20" on a stock 70cc? Then show me what's up.👍 😉
Why would anyone ever put a 32 on a 50cc saw?

Same chain, same gas, same log 5 minutes apart, just long enough to swap chain

Personally, I'm a fan of 16 or 18 inch bars on (stock) 50 cc saws like the Stihl 026 / ms260 and wouldn't put a bigger one on there, whether it pulls it or not. I've put down a 32 inch cherry with my 026, with a 16 on it... you 're pushing them and have to be careful not to go 'too far' but it if it's just occasional... you just have to learn to line up your cuts. And, as if it should be mentioned, your chain should be razor sharp :cool:.

That being said, I realised I needed something more and bought a 90 and a 70cc saw. The 70cc, an 044, came with an 18 inch bar that I will replace eventually, for the 064/660 hybrid I bought a 24 and a 36 inch bar.

For 60cc I'd get a new Echo 590, 620p, or Dolkita 6100.

I see you're looking to run a 24 inch bar: the Echo 620p can be bought from Echo with a 20, 24, or 27 inch bar and chain and is a very good saw. The Echo 590 is a step down from the pro 620p into the Farm & Ranch category, but is essentially a lesser tuned and spec'd version of the 620p.

The Dolkita 6100 will run a 24 inch B&C well too, and is about a half pound lighter than the 620p power head.

The Makita/Dolmar 6421 puts out too much oil even when adjusted down. I have a 36" bar with semi-skip full chisel that I use on mine for the occasional big stumps. Does it pull it easily? No, but it gets the job done when needed and there is no oiling issue at all. The 6421 is pretty heavy for the ccs, but with a 20 inch bar it balances out pretty nice. I am sure a 24 would be a good all around bar to keep on it.

If i where you ,i would look for a saw in the 70cc range so you can run a 28" bar and buck logs standing up. I don't think a 60cc saw is a big upgrade from 50cc , great all around saws don't get me wrong but it might not be what you are looking for. On a side note, it sounds like you could get by with your ms261 by making double cuts and using a canthook for bucking

I believe one bit is a quarter and a nickel. Maybe a quarter and a dime, but Im not sure.

Way I was looking at it- a piece of 8 would be a bit of it, so 1/8th- two bits (2/8ths) would be 1 1/4- or .25 of 1.
All I know is Captain Bruce needs to come up with a better Pirate name- hardly strikes the fear into a crew when the Captain is Brucey.

Only dual chains need dogs and my 026 loves eating balsa wood to. That thing sounds badass.

Theres a few bar lengths that shouldn't be on the market.
16 20 24 25

Leavs you with 18 28 32 to choose from makes life much simpler.
🤔If only saws spinning dull chains need dawgs? Why dose every professional Cutter on the west coast use them when cutting real wood with real "Power" saws? Though not before eating a 50cc saw fir breakfast first! Everyone I know runs dawgs on a "Power" saw. image.gif

Personally, I'm a fan of 16 or 18 inch bars on (stock) 50 cc saws like the Stihl 026 / ms260 and wouldn't put a bigger one on there, whether it pulls it or not. I've put down a 32 inch cherry with my 026, with a 16 on it... you 're pushing them and have to be careful not to go 'too far' but it if it's just occasional... you just have to learn to line up your cuts. And, as if it should be mentioned, your chain should be razor sharp :cool:.

That being said, I realised I needed something more and bought a 90 and a 70cc saw. The 70cc, an 044, came with an 18 inch bar that I will replace eventually, for the 064/660 hybrid I bought a 24 and a 36 inch bar.
The 260 stock is a turd and won't cut for **** with a 20" bar in any type of hardwood.

Back