Mature Norway Maple Advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjluna

Reaction score
I have 2 big old norway maples that need some attention, and I'm not sure what should be done. From the pics you can see that they have a fair amount of dead wood and a long scar up the trunk of one of them. You can also see that they're on a hill above the house and about 20' from it.
I don't want to have them cut down if at all possible, but I've come to learn that topping is a bad idea in the long run. I've only spoken to i tree person who recommended removing the dead wood, and cutting back the rest about 50%. I guess that's topping, isn't it? At the time I didn't ask him any more questions, as I didn't know that topping was not good practice.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated !!!
Jeff

View attachment 226727
View attachment 226728
View attachment 226729
View attachment 226730

old norway's

You will need to get a certified arborist out there and inspect the trees for internal rot etc and then act on their recommendations, of which deadwooding could be in those recommendations along with removal.

loraxguy is right on... have a qualified arborist come and look them over.... from the pics its hard to tell exactly what needs to be done.... from what i can see... they need to be pruned and deadwooded.... i would not shape them back or top them.... let them grow as naturally as possible..... just have the canopy worked and reduce some sail... just take care of them and give them a little help... if there is serious damage to the trunks they may need to be removed before they hit someone in the head....

Definitely in need of work. Lots of dead wood that should come out and pruning to thin the canopy. They'll come back healthier for it and get stronger as they recover.

Hey, thanks for the advice. I don't think that the guy that looked at the trees was a certified arborist, since I'm sure he would have mentioned that, but I didn't ask. I guess I'll have to get one out here to take a look.
Once again, thanks for taking the time to look at the pics !
jeff

What part of SE PA you from. Treemandan and limbwalker are out near west chester. Shot them a pm and they maybe willing to come out and look at them.

Back