MAX rpm questions 445

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adirondackhick

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
Question.. I was just given a brandy new husqvarna 445 by a friend of the family who due to illness can't cut anymore. I have my 372 and 365 and 55 all tuned up through a tach to about 700 below max over rev. I.e the husky book used to say 9600 max hp rev / 13500 max over rev for the 372 and 12500 for the 365. =372@12700-13000
In looking to tune this 445, I can only see the 9600 in the manuals.... Does the 9600 = 12500-13500, like the 365/372?? Any info would help, wouldn't want to smoke a FREE NEW SAW.. Oh, by the way, the wife has already claimed it....... Thanks in advance!!

I have the same saw. Totally different animal from your other saws.Another point is your 445 is an X torque. The others are not.Totally different bore and stroke is what makes this on a slower spinner.Ken

Hey Ken,
Thanks for a response. So, do you have your 445 saw at the 9000rpm the book shows? Or are you around 12-12500? I started looking again through my shop manuals and such, I guess I could have been a little confusing earlier. They show 9600 rpm and max engine speed of 13500 for the 372. Which would put me at a 12900 max speed for the 445????? (using a tach) Anyway....

Rev limited

The manual for the 445/450 says it has a 13,000 rev limiter. My 450 won't go that high, it only hits 12,700 before the limiter kicks in.

I understand that for a stocker you set the high speed screw so that the engine maxs out at 12,500. The way the shop set it up was to lean the saw up to the rev limiter, then back it down to 12,500 by opening up the high speed screw. I don't know if that is how the 445 is set up. In any case, do a plug check after setting the fuel flow.

I have ported my 450 and it will hit the limiter any time there isn't a load on the saw. I set my mixture by checking the plug after chopping the power in a cut.

As to your query I do not have a tack as of now however I am able to use my hearing and it works out well. I will surmise that I am just over the 9k area.Ken

I used to live in Oneida county near Rome NY. Are you any where this area, Thanks

Thank you

Terry syd,
Thanks. I must have looked right over the limiter deal... Didn't even see it while reading, I was just looking at the same places I used to. I will most likely set the screw for about 12000-12500. Thanks
Ken,
I am up in the NE. Warren county n/nw of Lake George.
Thanks again fellas!!

Manual is abiguous

The section on the coil in the manual is ambiguous, I missed it myself. It was only after going to the shop and watching the 450 being tuned that I thought about it. After looking at the manual, I found that it is implied by the text. That's fine if you are a Husky trained mechanic and know what to look for. I then looked at several other Husky manuals that were more explicit and the light came on.

Rick in the 445 mod thread then stuck a tach on his 445 and confirmed that his his engine would only hit 13,000 - just like the manual implied it would.

Back