Maximizing Reliability on Husky 359

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting a manual - I need advice on this. I've been to the Husky website but there are different manuals for different era 359s. How do I know which one applies to my saw?

Post the serial number of the saw, and we will most likely be able to figure it out...

Thanks, guys for your ideas. Let me answer the questions asked of me and add some that you've raised in my mind:

Where does one "pour out the old gas", legally, that is? Some suggested putting it into a vehicle, but my truck is a 4-cycle and I didn't think that the oil in that gas would be a good idea.

The saw has the black/slate gas cap so no E-tech & E-tech muffler, but wandering around this site has gotten me excited about muffler modding (I know that it is stupid for me to fool with given my stated application, but hey, I'm a guy and a modded muffler produces MORE POWER).

Thanks for the oil in the cylinder idea, that sounds good. How would that impact startability for the next time?

Getting a manual - I need advice on this. I've been to the Husky website but there are different manuals for different era 359s. How do I know which one applies to my saw?

Safety equipment - I've got most of the suggested list already but am scoping out a pair of chaps now. Don't anyone go on eBay until tomorrow!

Gary - Thanks for your offer to come over from Whidbey to Bainbridge to help me cut my way out but if we have a bunch of Doug Firs blown over here, you have just as many at home to cut up for the neighbors. Secondly, I wasn't complaining about cutting the blow-downs. Afterall, this has been the justification for throwing away my green POS saw and getting my manly-man Husky.:hmm3grin2orange:

1. A gallon of 50-1 gas dumped into a 20 gal gas tank is now dilluted to 1000-1 so doesn't affect the truck/car engine at all. It burns right up. It doesn't produce a cloud of smokey exhaust and your engine will probably like it. It doesn't clog anything but I'm sure there is an EPA reg somewhere that frowns on it. It's better than flushing it down the drain or dumping it out in the weeds, IMHO.

2. The oil in the cylinder idea is so that if the engine isn't being used for a while it doesnt' start to corrode the cylinder,piston,rings, (and if 4-cycle, the valves). That's all. It keeps everything nice and slick so next time you start the engine it turns over easily.

3. You can get either/all the Husky manuals for your model. Get the instruction/operating manual, parts manual, etc. There probably isn't much difference between the models. You can view the manuals online and see which seems to be you saw. Sometimes they ref serial numbers. The maintenance procedure will be the same for all of them generally. You don't have to print them. You can save them to your hard disk, CD, DVD. and read them with Acrobat. If you don't have Adobe Acrobat download it. It is free. The document file (in this case the instruction manual) is called a "PDF file" and this type of file is very commonly used in the computer world for storing and retrieving documents (I probably don't have to tell you this but it is best not to assume). Urbicide (luv that tag) posted the link above.

I think you are asking all the right questions and I'm sure if you are extra careful at first you will do great. I'd like to see some pics of you and your trusty saw in action!

Last edited:
I'd double up on screnches too (or chainsaw tool, whatever you call them)

I've lost my Husky scrench, which isnt a big deal, I have my Stihl one here... but I prefer to know where both screnches are at...

I actually like the Husky tool to fit under the full wrap on my 460, and if I didn't have a Stihl on... I'd be SOL for this weekend!.

Latest posts

Back