Mc SP 125 muffler question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbfarmall

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hey guys, just bought this SP125, don't have it yet. Looking at the photo, I see a muffler unlike any other 105/125 I've ever seen. Anybody know the story on this?

Thanks, Chris B.

muffler looks CP125, i beleive all parts fit, little more kart related engine, same performance as the SP125 i think. if its a CP, you probly got a lined cyl, brute durability even better than the crome lined ones.

It just looks like one of those round mufflers[not much muffle,ya know],that some of the earlier saws/karts used.Plenty loud.

Well Al, when it's in my hands I'll figure out what I'm dealing with. I spent some time looking over the IPL. I like the way this saw is built. The motor sort of hangs in the handles, like a modular approach.

Are there any weaknesses to this saw? Intake boot, impulse/fuel lines?

Chris B.

cbfarmall said:
Well Al, when it's in my hands I'll figure out what I'm dealing with. I spent some time looking over the IPL. I like the way this saw is built. The motor sort of hangs in the handles, like a modular approach.

Are there any weaknesses to this saw? Intake boot, impulse/fuel lines?

Chris B.
From my limited experiance,only the chrome liner,if so equipted.It has a very tough old intake boot and fuel lines and impulse .I have one of mine that has a condensor shorting out when it gets hot.This is not a big deal because the whole kit and cabootal is mac 10 series ignition,about as common as dirt,so to speak.Geez,first a 2100 Homey,then a big Mac.What next,an 090 ,Sachs 166? :) It's kind of a toss up which has more grunt,the 125 or the 2100,both have a bunch.

Al,

Had an 090 once but traded it for a nice 026. Big saw but didn't impress me like the 2100 or the 125. By comparison, it actually seems a bit crude. Plus the one I had was non-AV and wore out. I think I'd like a new-style 090.

Never thought I'd ever get into the old saws like I have. Before I knew better I almost picked up an David Bradley at an auction. (I may never have recovered from that....) When the saws are as big as the 2100 or 125, I don't think it matters which one has more grunt. Either one will do. :cool:

Chris B.

Ditto on the 090.I've only ever seen one of then,along with an 075,all in the same day.Heavy,loud,a lot of grunt,not real fast.Then again,they weren't in best state of tune,so I should reserve judgement.It was kind of odd,the 090 had a governer.When the owner leaned on it,it didn't go faster,just louder :)

Nice find Al, correction CBFARMALL, yes the muffler might be off an early CP125 not sure, i 'll have to wait till you get it to see what the rest of the saws like.

Got my second shipment yesterday of saws from the States have a look

http://users.bigpond.net.au/ozflea/saws47.html

This might keep me busy and off Ebay for a day or two.

Mc Bob.

Last edited:
Chris,

I watched that saw but it went higher than I could give. Nice find hopefully it runs great. Anytime you want to part with the Homelite 2100 let me know.

Bill

Oz, That's my 125, not Al's.

Al, I have an 075 and like it better than the 090. But it sure is slow.

Bill, it was kind of steep but it looks very nice and everything is there.

Chris B.

I see McBob has a pair of 44's in his pile of goodys.With a recent post of a 44,I got my super A out yesterday and made a vid clip.The problem is,it's 8.7 meg long.I will put it on here as soon as I figure out how to shorten it.I had a couple of short clips with a 125 and a 650 geardrive I did in March but I'm having somewhat of a dumb azz attack about doing this one. :dizzy:

Sorry CBFARMALL i'm only a simple country bunkin whose half blind and a little senile, please forgive me my friend.

Al i hope to get one from two as the crank clutch key is pretty well flogged out, i'll start getting it cleaned up today or tommorrow and sus out what will be the best way to go to get the Super 44 running.

Just Mc-ing along McBob.

Back