McCulloch 3-10E , battery start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does it look "flat" in the airbox?I've not familiar with this type of carb at all.No choke,but a primer button on the right.

attachment.php

Here's a picture.What info do you have about it?

attachment.php

Here's a picture.What info do you have about it?

McCulloch small flatback or "bullfrog" carb. Parts are pretty scarce. You're pretty much stuck with that carb if you like the low airbox lid. They switched to the taller ones for the walbro carb. Most people do not like the bullfrog carbs.

McCulloch small flatback or "bullfrog" carb. Parts are pretty scarce. You're pretty much stuck with that carb if you like the low airbox lid. They switched to the taller ones for the walbro carb. Most people do not like the bullfrog carbs.

Ha Ha Ha Ha, I love it!!! The elusive "Bullfrog" carb,I can see where that name came from.

Looks like a "Toad in the Road" to me.

I forgot to add that the 2-10G left my collection last winter. It went to a good home though.

Bill

:hmm3grin2orange: It's hanging in my livingroom

I also have a 1-10.

Good thing I kept those carbs kits all these years, kinda shy on primers though.

Last edited:
i have some batteries in the shop that dont know what they go too or what they are for at that if you want i can take some pictures of it and maybe someone can identify them like i say i dont have no idea what they go to

calvin

:hmm3grin2orange: It's hanging in my livingroom

I also have a 1-10.

Good thing I kept those carbs kits all these years, kinda shy on primers though.

Randy,

I knew it was headed to a good home. Hopefully it was what you wanted. That thing was sure temperamental.

Bill

No worries Bill, I have carb kits if needed, it looks good with the 1-10.

Do tell about the carb kits....any for sale? My 1-10 runs well, but I'm needing help with the 2-10 with the "idle governor" and a persnickety primer. Any ideas? I really like the low profile covers vs the tall boys or flat tops that use the Walbro cube carbs. Now, if ya could make an adapter to use the lo pro airfilter covers on a Walbro, I'm all ears.

Last edited:
Another 3-10E owner

Howdy folks. I stumbled across this site looking for information on getting my 3-10E running again, and working on the battery pack. I inherited my McCulloch 3-10E from my grandfather, who got it new, and who died in 1995. I recently had to give it a thorough cleaning (including the carb) when I discovered it had stopped working after having used it for a number of years, but then having let it sit around for a year without being started. :bang:

Anyway, it seems I've got something of an interesting saw, so if anyone's interested in pictures, or anything else I can provide in the way of a working saw, let me know here. I'm going to read up here on what folks did to fabricate the new battery pack, and see if I can get the electric start working. The current battery pack, which I think is ORIGINAL, is pretty corroded looking and doesn't do anything. I remember my grandfather using this saw in the early 1980's, and he was manually starting it then, so I imagine it hasn't worked in quite some time.

I'm glad I found this site, I didn't have much information on this saw other than the model number, and had no idea it was such an interesting saw. Thanks!

-Wiley :newbie:

The battery pack is re-buildable.Todays re-chargable batteries can be used.There are several companies that sell the individual cells for doing it yourself as well as companies that will re-build it for you.
Do you happen to have the external charger,even rarer than the saw I think.The phono jack on the side of the pack is for the external charger.
A very interesting saw indeed,I love to watch Gmax's video of his saw.

HimWill: I do not have the battery charger that came with it. However:

1: The electric start still works. I just hooked up my 24V cordless drill battery, and it fired right up in my basement (which surprised me.)

2: The battery pack is still in there, and it was holding about .3v charge. All the cabling, while sporting a little corriosion, seems to have all good connections.

3: I found (in my huge box of power supplies and blocks) the exact power block I needed to try charging the batteries (12v, 1amp). It's currently downstairs "charging" the NiCad batteries.

The battery pack that's in there is a GE pack, and I'm not sure if that's the original, or a replacement pack.

I'm pretty sure I can manage to cobble together a buncha 1.5v batteries into a 12v series that SHOULD start it. I'm also considering extending the wires and putting a plug on the end, and just having a little external battery (M'cycle) that I can start it with. I may also switch the plug on the end of the surplus power block I found to be an RCA, and wire a new RCA plug into the case again (the one on here is kinda corroded.)

The more I play with this, the cooler it gets!

-Wiley

My 3 10 e

I've had one of these sitting around for nearly 20 years and recently decided to see if I could get it running. I had no idea what the brushes and commutator were for until I found this forum. Mine is missing the battery connections and I would like to know where it hooks up. Also, does anyone know where I might get a condenser for it? Thanks

Back