McCulloch 380 Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Piste

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey, everyone!

I'm venturing, for the first time, into rebuilding vintage chainsaws. I've started with a good old McCulloch 380 that I picked up a while back and have mostly been working on refurbishing the outside (fixing broken pieces, new paint job, and the like), and only just recently got into the inner workings of it. Needless to say, I have a few questions.

First off, the carb is a stock Mac flatback and needs some work: the setting mechanism at the end of the throttle shaft is lose, and the whole carb most likely needs a rebuild. I expect to rebuild the carb on just about every saw I work on, but I can't for the life of me find a kit for this one. Would it be cheaper (and/or smarter) to replace it with a good Tillotson instead of attempting to mess with rebuilding the stock Mac one?

My next question is in regards to the lower rod roller pins and piston needle cages. The ones currently installed in the saw have a bit of vertical play. Just to confirm my thoughts (as my experience is solely with modern saws), this isn't good even with old saws, right?

Thirdly, the piston and cylinder needed some love. The cylinder had some scratch marks, and still has a few grayish lines and one scratch which I can clearly feel with my fingernail. I'm not necessarily wanting to replace the cylinder, as this saw will not be one of my daily runners, and it doesn't need tip-top performance; that being said, I might try to sand it out a bit more. It was cross-hatched when I first inspected it, and there's slight evidence that someone has torn this saw down before. Does anyone make an oversize piston/ring set for this saw or similar? What size should I put in this beast if I'm unsure of any previous honing or sanding?

Lastly, where should I go to find good and authentic parts for this old girl? I have most of what I need, but there are a few specifics that I've been unable to locate: rear handle grips (top and insert: seems like most old Macs have lost the top grip), carb grommet, all-together and functioning fuel tank cap, felling dog, and lower rod rollers. I think I can get replacement bearings and oil seals at a local bearing distributor.

This has been a pretty fun project thus far, and to get it running (however strongly) would just be the cherry on top of the cake. It was certainly far, far from being a runner when I got it at 75% complete and 0% working. :)

I've messed with a few vintage saws and have to say that if you're doing it for your own interest then have at it but don't expect to make much money selling them when you're done. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of interest in vintage saws on the venues I've tried selling on...

Yeah, this is definitely a personal project. I've found that around my area, most people are asking about as much for their old saws as I've paid for some good used pro saws.

Gaskets and diaphragms for the carburetor can be found on e-bay for $30, sold by customchainsawparts. Most everything else you need can also be found on e-bay or check with Bob Johnson (607 638 9297).

Realize that carburetor has an idle speed governor and there will be some give/play in the lever that operates the throttle, what you are seeing may be quite normal.

Check the rod/bearings very carefully, you may be seeing something other than vertical play, they will operate just fine with a lot of lateral wobble. I have never seen one with excessive wear to the rod bore, crankshaft journal, or bearings. The kart guys used to leave one or two rollers out just to "loosen" them up a bit.

Mark

Okay, I see what you mean about lateral play. I was trying to eliminate that by shoving the rod up against the crankshaft, but was still getting lateral movement which I perceived as vertical play. Upon further inspection, it turns out that that's all it is: so no problem there. What would removing rollers do to loosen up the rod?

I should also add that I've haunted ebay for a while, now, looking for the parts I listed above, but haven't had any luck with finding them; so I'll try RandyMac's suggestion and see if I have any luck over on the sticky thread.

Latest posts

Back