McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can put it in both dirt does enter the oiler what I do is every so often dump the oil mix alil gas and seafom togethor and clean the oil tank. Shake vigorously.

The 600 series saws had their drawbacks for sure but the line lasted from the 80's till Mac went bust. Very reliable, very good parts availability, easy to work on. If you want a saw to do alot of cutting with and you don't mind the weight it will take the abuse. I have seen these saws look like they have been run over and all kinds of things but one or two pulls and they will usually start. In my experience the oilers in these like 30w motor oil. I have tried several brand of chainsaw oil and end up going with the 30w. Also seafoam or something similar atleast once a month if you run it heavy.

Most bar oil is 30wt.

The stuff I been getting it gets alil cold looks like snot and pours like mollases. Regular 30wt motor oil dont do that. It's stihl brand if your wandering.

I got my pm650 for $45 the auto oiler doesnt work and the old man that had it smoked the bar and chain
I put a 16" hardnose bar off a broken 10-10

thanks what do i look for in the auto oiler, to see why it dont work?
im pretty sure its burning a little bar oil now

Pull it off and check the diaphragm. Also, check the gasket. Try pumping some thinner oil thru it.

The most common problem I see is the hose breaking off in the tank. They are a little more work to replace the hose because you must remove the tank from the bottom of the cylinder.

Pull it off and check the diaphragm. Also, check the gasket. Try pumping some thinner oil thru it.

The most common problem I see is the hose breaking off in the tank. They are a little more work to replace the hose because you must remove the tank from the bottom of the cylinder.
would the manual oiler still work with the oil line off, my manual oiler works good

I hate to ask this here, but is anyone else not getting their notifications of this thread's activity -- or any others for that matter? I've been in discussions with one of the new admin guys about this and not getting very far to date. I understand the obvious potential for issues when migrating from one server and software platform to another under duress, but I've been having issues receiving notices for my watched threads since the switch-over. Even re-subscribed to all my favorites from the old server over here after the change with little more than a sporadic notice here or there and then nothing again. New threads on the new server seem to work as usually was the case on the old server.

And whaddya know, I just received an email that there was activity in this thread...mine maybe?

(now scratching head)

I hate to ask this here, but is anyone else not getting their notifications of this thread's activity -- or any others for that matter? I've been in discussions with one of the new admin guys about this and not getting very far to date. I understand the obvious potential for issues when migrating from one server and software platform to another under duress, but I've been having issues receiving notices for my watched threads since the switch-over. Even re-subscribed to all my favorites from the old server over here after the change with little more than a sporadic notice here or there and then nothing again. New threads on the new server seem to work as usually was the case on the old server.

And whaddya know, I just received an email that there was activity in this thread...mine maybe?

(now scratching head)

I use Tapatalk on my phone, the notifiers work on it.

One way to check it is to take the pump off put oil in it get a syringe and see if you can pull oil that way. Have you checked the intank filter they can get plugged.

If anyone needs them I picked up a few fun McCulloch pieces today cheaply.
IMG_3427_zpsb0f8f9a0.jpg

I paid three bucks for the chain checker and $8 for the kit.
The kit has a yellow wooden file handle, a McCulloch scrench, a McCulloch file guide, a McCulloch depth and angle gauge and an unlabeled scrench like tool, but no flat file. Handle appears unused on the inside and all the Mac tools are in great shape.
Happy to pass along to anybody who needs them as I am not really a Mac guy (though I have a 3-25 I will restore someday). looking for what I paid and exact, real shipping
Dave
anybody has a line on a carb rebuild kit, carb soft parts or a nice turorial for the 3-25,I would be most grateful

would the manual oiler still work with the oil line off, my manual oiler works good

I had the same problem with the one I've got that I haven't put in wood yet. I pulled the pump off, cleaned everything up, and shot carb cleaner through all the passages. It works now, but I think I may end up replacing the diaphragm. Clean everything up really well before pulling the pump.

Edit: How much time have you run it? I've had a couple of saws that didn't pull oil the first couple of times I tried. I came back to them later and found them sitting in a puddle of bar oil. Started them up and they oiled fine. I've also put straight gas in the oil tank, swished it around, dumped it, then added more and started the saw. Sometimes they are gummed up and the gas will cut the crud enough to get it freed up again.

I had the same problem with the one I've got that I haven't put in wood yet. I pulled the pump off, cleaned everything up, and shot carb cleaner through all the passages. It works now, but I think I may end up replacing the diaphragm. Clean everything up really well before pulling the pump.

Edit: How much time have you run it? I've had a couple of saws that didn't pull oil the first couple of times I tried. I came back to them later and found them sitting in a puddle of bar oil. Started them up and they oiled fine. I've also put straight gas in the oil tank, swished it around, dumped it, then added more and started the saw. Sometimes they are gummed up and the gas will cut the crud enough to get it freed up again.
havnt really tried to clean it out that good, tried to cut with the old chain before i changed the bar and chain
but it wouldnt bite hard enough to get out of four stroking (wouldnt cut)

Latest posts

Back