McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am already lusting after that yellow top Super 250...

Mark

A very nice specimen indeed!

And an S-250 question;

Are the serial number prefix designations on Acres site accurate for determining 80cc or 87cc versions? Or are all S-250's indeed 87cc's regardless of serial prefix?

Last edited:
Pogo - This has been discussed before but never with a definitive answer. The consensus is that the yellow top saws were 80cc and the black top saws 87cc but as with all things McCulloch, who can know for sure.

Mark

Would it be safe to say that the "12" and "12A" prefixes are fairly definitive of the '73 ~ '75 87cc black tops...and maybe even earlier '70's versions?

Here's the tag on the one I just acquired...

0117141904b.JPG

Not a particularly productive day - went through 7 chains including my new Stihl .404 loop that cut all of 2". There must be a brick or rock in the stem somewhere; no metal staining detected. Can't feel sorry for myself as a fellow down at the wood lot lost most of his little finger in a splitter this morning.

The saws all ran well despite the temperature in the teens. Only issue was with the kart muffler repetitively vibrating loose which could cause real problems as the bolts are inside the chamber.

Joey asked for pictures. These are all I have:

The maple that whooped the 3120XP The MAC arsenal (ignore the little Stihl; it wasn't used today)
IMG_3583.JPG IMG_3584.JPG

First chain pit stop Mid-point
IMG_3585.JPG IMG_3586.JPG

End result (the chain wrecker chunk is in the middle still clinging together)
IMG_3587.JPG And yes, that is yellow caution tape on the PM800 holding the chain brake. Ron

This put me in the ER about 35 years ago - if it weren't for the safety guard I would have no fingers and just a part of a thumb on my left hand and I might have decapitated myself - but got by with busting all four finger knuckles at the hand and stitches to my pinkie finger and pinkie knuckle. I don't want to go there again. Pinkie now hides under next finger as a constant reminder. Ron

1-60.jpg

just joined the mac crew last weekend w these 2 - 1-51, runs on the bottle, super 250 runnin great after some tuning...View attachment 328484 View attachment 328486

That has the plain Jane 250 look to it so an 80 cc model I take it. The 87 cc saws all seem to have full wrap handles and holes in the lids. Does this saw have an auto oiler in it?

Nick

Sent from my S10 using Tapatalk

Nick it prob helped that I had almost a brand new chain on it. It bogged alil in the really big stuff but not to the point where it affected cutting. I'm going to put it through some green wood and see how it does as most what I have is dried and seasoned. I do have one log that is a pain it's china berry that I got from some storm cleanup. It eats chains and will barely cut with an axe.

I had fairly new chains on mine too but easy to bog down in oak when leaned on. Now the early thin ring model with LESS compression than the later thick ring model really screams and has more power but it too will still bog if I lean on it fairly hard.

Nick

That has the plain Jane 250 look to it so an 80 cc model I take it. The 87 cc saws all seem to have full wrap handles and holes in the lids. Does this saw have an auto oiler in it?

Nick

it is Canadian, if that makes a diff. no auto oiler that I know of. someone [another site] thought all canuck 250's were yellow lid. different top decal too. "mc of Canada, rexdale, ont.".

It's the early thin ring Nick. Still getting it sorted I think Mark said it hadn't been run in awile so I'm sure it's gotta get broke back in.

Pogo - This has been discussed before but never with a definitive answer. The consensus is that the yellow top saws were 80cc and the black top saws 87cc but as with all things McCulloch, who can know for sure.

Mark

I'd swear my yellow top port holed super 250 is 87cc. And especially after I can compare them to what I own. It runs as good if not better than my black top super 250 but I won't run it as it is so clean it looks like it was hardly used.

Nick

It's the early thin ring Nick. Still getting it sorted I think Mark said it hadn't been run in awile so I'm sure it's gotta get broke back in.

Maybe that's why it runs so good as I said my thin ring runs much better than the later thick ring 250. Interesting...

I'd swear my yellow top port holed super 250 is 87cc. And especially after I can compare them to what I own. It runs as good if not better than my black top super 250 but I won't run it as it is so clean it looks like it was hardly used.

Nick

What are the serial prefixes?

Last edited:
What's are the serial prefixes?

Both of my Supers have 12- prefixes. Black top has tag inside the housing and the yellow top has tag on top of the oil tank. Both unmarked cylinders on bottom, auto oilers, round adjustable mufflers and manual choke flat backs. Black top is. 600100D and Yellow top is a 600100 model number. And they both flat out scream I love running them saws along with the 440 saw. Not a super but another 87cc screamer.

Nick

Back