McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That sounds right Tim. The insulator/spacer (hard green plastic bit) the installed between the cylinder and the air box is different to account for the larger diameter of the 70 cc cylinder.

It seems to me that there may be a difference in the muffler as well for the same reason, large diameter cylinder on the 70 cc models.

Dennis - Try ebay seller Rockcrusher or customchainsawparts.

Mark

That sounds right Tim. The insulator/spacer (hard green plastic bit) the installed between the cylinder and the air box is different to account for the larger diameter of the 70 cc cylinder.

It seems to me that there may be a difference in the muffler as well for the same reason, large diameter cylinder on the 70 cc models.

Dennis - Try ebay seller Rockcrusher or customchainsawparts.

Mark
Crank, etc all fit the same though?

Okay I posted the 5-10E for sale on the forum if anyone wants it just let me know. Thanks guys for the help on this thread!!!!

The only "special" crankshaft I have every encountered was about 1' longer on the PTO end and fit a specialized PM700 power head. No one could determine why they made that change.

If you put all the others in a box you would have a hard time telling which was which when you took them out. All 10 Series except the 82 cc are 1.375" stroke, the 82's are all 1.500" stroke. Early models with the RH starter and even some of the early LH start saws had RH threads on the PTO end and used a clutch with a key. Later ones were all LH thread and no key on the clutch.

Mark

That is a really clean machine Tim. I have never run that size but I imagine those are super strong runners. Just as all in that series are.

It is odd how few McCulloch 10-series I see available out here. I have never seen one in a dumpster, at the scrap metal yard or the local shops (discard pile). Lots of the others brands though. That is saying something about the yellow.

I am going to have to start looking for a wrap handle for my 850 again. I have had it shelved for a couple of years because the handle is in 3 pieces and I couldn't find one. It's been too long to have not run it.

That is a really clean machine Tim. I have never run that size but I imagine those are super strong runners. Just as all in that series are.

It is odd how few McCulloch 10-series I see available out here. I have never seen one in a dumpster, at the scrap metal yard or the local shops (discard pile). Lots of the others brands though. That is saying something about the yellow.

I am going to have to start looking for a wrap handle for my 850 again. I have had it shelved for a couple of years because the handle is in 3 pieces and I couldn't find one. It's been too long to have not run it.

It is well worth the effort to get that 850 running. The only 82cc one I have is the SP80. It's an old model but runs very well. They have lots of punch.
I just put a fuel line and carb kit in the 700. I was surprised to find it doesn't have a moulded fuel line. The pass through in the tank is tight on a 3/16" OD piece of Tygon.
The auto oiler isn't oiling but the manual is so I'll fix that and the throttle link keeps falling out of the trigger. That will need some tweeking.
It was a really good buy even if it turned out to be a parts saw.
Happy to have it

Cory - check with me after the first of the year, I should have a decent full wrap handle to fit the PM850 but I will be travelling right up to Christmas and owe the family some time after that.

Mark

I appreciate the offer Mark. Thank you for that.

It is well worth the effort to get that 850 running. The only 82cc one I have is the SP80. It's an old model but runs very well. They have lots of punch.
I just put a fuel line and carb kit in the 700. I was surprised to find it doesn't have a moulded fuel line. The pass through in the tank is tight on a 3/16" OD piece of Tygon.
The auto oiler isn't oiling but the manual is so I'll fix that and the throttle link keeps falling out of the trigger. That will need some tweeking.
It was a really good buy even if it turned out to be a parts saw.
Happy to have it

I managed to run the saw for a 1/2 a day or so with the handle bar flopping around. It wasn't the safest so it has been sitting. The saw is flat-out nuts on a 20". I did not know what to expect.

I spent a little time getting the auto oiler to work and it runs pretty well. For those of thinking about picking up a 70 cc version of a 10 series Mac, here's a quick first run demo.
It has a 20" bar and Stihl RS chain.
The wood is dry white ash. I don't have anything larger at this time to try it in.
I don't think any old saw guy would be too disappointed in the performance.

https://app.box.com/s/f5fdpucqvh405gja37rjkoox04ns2kv7

I spent a little time getting the auto oiler to work and it runs pretty well. For those of thinking about picking up a 70 cc version of a 10 series Mac, here's a quick first run demo.
The wood is dry white ash. I don't have anything larger at this time to try it in.
I don't think any old saw guy would be too disappointed in the performance.

https://app.box.com/s/f5fdpucqvh405gja37rjkoox04ns2kv7
One thing I've noticed about my 7-10 is that when you get the right pressure on it using the spike it just settles in and smooths out I noticed yours do that as well

I don't think many old saw guys would be too disappointed in the performance.

I don't think many old saw guys would be too disappointed in the performance.

Plenty of snort in there.

Frozen wood?

Latest posts

Back