McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I can find your address Tim I can send some of the original sticky caulk they used if you think Canadian Customs will let it past the border.

I also have some double sided sticky foam tape ones in the attic that came in a large collection of parts I picked up, I can toss those in as well and let you be the guinea pig.

Mark

Thanks Mark,

I was typing my reply to Brian as you were posting yours.

Appreciate the offer but I doubt it would get here in time for the GTG and I want to take that MAC. If what I did doesn't work out I will be more than happy you take you up on your offer.

I've been sorting out my avatar pic 8500 as it's running weird. I found an incorrect gasket between the adapter and the carb which only leaked air at high RPM. One of a few cases where the Tilly HS gasket that comes in the kit doesn't work. Your 5400 is the same. Got that sorted and the saw would 4 stroke well out of the cut but the idle was a bit erratic. I feel a crank seal was going out even though it P&V checked well. I put in two new seals and am hoping I have the issue fixed.
Ready to give that and the 700 a bit of a workout tomorrow.

I hope you have good weather at the GTG in Iowa.

DSCF3169.JPG

Assuming you're using a gasket for the tank, I'd use a bead of any rubberized and easily removable sealer for the rear just in case it has to come apart again.

I 'd certainly stay away from goo that hardens and adhesive stuff.

Thanks Poge,
I was thinking that before I found the felt.
I have no idea what happens to some of that stuff when gas gets on it. There's always going to be some spit back in the carb box. I didn't want to end up with a mess.

Most of the gas proof stuff sticks hard and there is a fair bit of a gap there. You can see the sealer they used on the saw as a dark line above the starter handle in the pic in the post above.

I'm really happy with how this cleaned up. Gunk is gone. A couple very minor scratches remain. I just can't believe the disparity between the intake and exhaust ports.

0412171605a_resized.jpg

0412171557_resized.jpg

0412171605_resized.jpg

0412171558_resized.jpg
It's just screaming to be opened up. Are all the Q ports this choked or is this just another oddity with the PM8200? I sure am tempted to get rid of the obvious casting ridge if nothing else. Comments?

I'm really happy with how this cleaned up. Gunk is gone. A couple very minor scratches remain. I just can't believe the disparity between the intake and exhaust ports.

It's just screaming to be opened up. Are all the Q ports this choked or is this just another oddity with the PM8200? I sure am tempted to get rid of the obvious casting ridge if nothing else. Comments?

At least it clean it. Don't raise it any!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't like the look of the edge around the exhaust port on one of my PM800's so I did some filing and polishing to try and "clean it up". On the plus side I didn't hurt the performance at all, if anything it ran even harder after my touch up. My guestimate is they all look about like that in the stock form.

PM805
DSC02441.JPG

My PM8200 - Thanks again to Ron Woods

DSC06848.JPG

DE 80 with a bit of carbon in the Q

DSC06698.JPG

DSC06699.JPG
Mark

Thank you, Tim. And thanks for the input, guys.

I wasn't going to raise the ceiling, just knock the ridge down and widen it a hair. Nothing too drastic and not messing with the Q shape aside from cleaning. It just seems odd that the exhaust is so much smaller than the intake port with that venturi type restrictive shape. Lots of meat could be removed without having to worry about getting too wide for the narrow skirt side of the piston. But hey, I'll save the major experimenting for another day and another saw. Too much aggravation into this one already to mess it up!

I am not sure that there are too many performance mods available to the Q-port 82cc MACs. I have tried the muffler swap, the 1/16ths" off the piston skirt, slight increase in timing, cleaning up the exhaust port, the hole in the air filter bracket and cleaning up the intake port without any power change noticeable to me. Your mileage may vary. I sold a NOS PM850 cylinder to a member here that had ported a SP81 but I don't recall him reporting any significant performance enhancements. Mastermind had an older 82cc MAC that some of us encouraged him to modify. I don't know that he ever did and I believe he sold the saw some time later; if I recall correctly he is the one that suggest to Joey to shave the 1/16th". The strongest 82cc MAC that I have ever run is the one I traded to Brian. It may have been a little too lean, but to my knowledge it was bone stock.

Ron

At one time Randy (Mastermind) reported that he'd port mapped the cylinder (SP81 or PM850, don't remember which) and he did not see much room for improvement.

056 - I have never seen anything like the cylinder you show in the first photo, we need someone with more knowledge to fill us in.

Mark

Like this 7-55 jug?
Cylinder99 - magnetic sleeve
138c77c459e066525642ca0c049e6484.jpg

Gesendet von meinem SM-G928F mit Tapatalk

I took the muffler off the 1-72 I recently purchased and was disappointed to find some scoring on the piston, the saw still has good compression though so I suspect the bore is fine. What I also found was a piston with thin rings. is that a stock piston? I thought it would have the standard 1/16" rings like all the other early macs I have.

At one time Randy (Mastermind) reported that he'd port mapped the cylinder (SP81 or PM850, don't remember which) and he did not see much room for improvement.

056 - I have never seen anything like the cylinder you show in the first photo, we need someone with more knowledge to fill us in.

Mark

I'll bet those holes were a try for oil retention. I have an old IEL HC saw that has a piston with cross hatches knurled into it which we suspect was for the same reason.

Just guessing.

Also, its the long weekend here so I've got some time to go out and do some cutting. This is the line-up I'm going with: L-R Homelite Super Mini, Husky 50 BB, McCulloch 55, Super 44a, 250, and 795.

20170412_190838.jpg

will hopefully take some pics of the saws in wood and share them on Monday.

Back