McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks perfect. I use a piece of brake line and a roll of welder's emery cloth for starters. I follow up with red Scotch-Brite and an eye-bolt to finish. Then I blow with compressed air before dunking in the USC and rinsing under a faucet and drying. Then use a clean paper towel for the white glove test to make sure there's no residual film or dust left over from the process.

The Scotch-Brite through the eye bolt is basically a stuffer to wrap another piece (or pieces) around for the desired friction against the cylinder walls. A rag or piece of inner tube would work just as well.

A chrome or NiSi lined cylinder should stand up to pretty coarse grit paper with the chrome being a little more vulnerable to wear-through if already worn thin. Aluminum transfer should be able to be removed without effectively changing the existing inner diameter of the cylinder in either case.

0921171813_resized.jpg

If you are near my skill and patience level - you will stay away from using acid. As noted above it will eat things up where the aluminum is exposed. Never again for me.

Ron

618c6c0d028cfc69f33ff5425b788540.png

I just did a husqvarna 66 top end. I used a hone . I know I know, bad idea, but it came out great! I DO NOT RECOMMEND DOING THIS! It should of blew up in my face but I only did it for three seconds. The hone stones were as long as the cylinder. I also used a can of carb cleaner for lube.

I just did a husqvarna 66 top end. I used a hone . I know I know, bad idea, but it came out great! I DO NOT RECOMMEND DOING THIS! I should of blew up in my face but I only did it for three seconds. The hone stones were as long as the cylinder. I also used a can of carb cleaner for lube.
Kind of like wet sanding.

DSC01419 (640x480).jpg

DSC01420 (640x480).jpg

I think it was fwgsaw that told me that the development of these units was primarily driven by the Lear corporation to insure flight operations in out of the ways places would have a 24 volt source to get their planes going again if the on board systems needed a boost.

This one had been refit with a 10-10 engine, the original would have been a 7-10 power head.

Mark

View attachment 602982

View attachment 602983

I think it was fwgsaw that told me that the development of these units was primarily driven by the Lear corporation to insure flight operations in out of the ways places would have a 24 volt source to get their planes going again if the on board systems needed a boost.

This one had been refit with a 10-10 engine, the original would have been a 7-10 power head.

Mark
If I had the spare cash right now I would go after that really fast. Would love to have one of those and also a winch.

Brian

If you have Comcast Cable X1 package you can watch Youtube on TV now. Setting here watching Bucking Billy Ray Smith cutting some trees with a SP125c. I have my SP125c right now sent off to be replated. They just called me and told me that it is ready. Cannot wait to get it back and back together and throwing chipps.

Brian

If you have Comcast Cable X1 package you can watch Youtube on TV now. Setting here watching Bucking Billy Ray Smith cutting some trees with a SP125c. I have my SP125c right now sent off to be replated. They just called me and told me that it is ready. Cannot wait to get it back and back together and throwing chipps.

Brian

Who plated your cylinder?

I just took a piece of 1/4" steel rod and cut a slot in it with a hacksaw, slip in a piece of emery cloth and there you have it. Even a piece of dowel could be used if that's all you have.

I already mentioned Scotch Brite pads, no need to over engineer this attempt.

Mark

Thanks to you and Poge for the tips on cylinder work. I'm sure I can rig something up with 220+ sandpaper and then Scotchbrite pads to see what can be done with the cylinder. Appreciate the tips!

Rob

View attachment 602982

View attachment 602983

Mark

Hey Mark. Not only did i sell you that Lear unit but I delivered it. [emoji106]

Back