McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been looking for a top handle. Found an Eager Beaver 2.1. Hasn't been used in a long time. Fuel left in the tank rotted out the fuel line. That's all I've been able to see so far.

Did a little red oak falling today with PM805 acquired from Joey (24" .375) and PM800 (33" .404). Brian plans to come out tomorrow with his fresh PM800. I can't wait to see a compression reading on his saw - effort to turn it over is much fiercer than any of mine. Ron

Two red oaks put down by the 805.
IMG_2603.JPG

Two red oaks put down by the 800.
IMG_2612.JPG IMG_2613.JPG IMG_2615.JPG

Let just say I have send a number of 850s down the road before I was told any different. Brian has an 800 from me that was remarkably stronger than any of my others and the 850 he built for RandyMac. Unfortunately it bit the dust, but he has just rebuilt it after getting the cylinder replated by US Chrome. It turns over much harder than mine and reminds me of the 850s. Hope to see it in wood tomorrow. I haven't heard how Randy's 850 runs or if it has been broken in yet.

Ron

Just inherited a McCulloch Super 33. Chain is 1/2" and looks like new - doesn't appear to have been sharpened. I put in fresh gas and shot a little prime into the intake and it fired up after about six pulls. Runs fine. Compression is 140. The primer button doesn't seem to work. I have the mixture lever set full lean and it has just the right amount of 4 cycle sound at wot. Idles great. Oiler works. Only problem was the flocking missing on the air filter. I just cut a piece of really fine brass mesh the same size and installed it under the flocked filter. I even had an extra chain for it. Original is 52 dl but the 51dl just fits. cleaned all the old bar oil and sawdust and polished the bar up a bit. Had to add some gear oil to the tranny. How much trouble is it to remove the black handle section? I was thinking of repainting it and leave the yellow alone. Will shoot a video of it sawing soon.

Attachments

• DSCN9543.JPG
    DSCN9543.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
  • DSCN9544.JPG
    DSCN9544.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
  • DSCN9545.JPG
    DSCN9545.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
  • DSCN9546.JPG
    DSCN9546.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
  • DSCN9548.JPG
    DSCN9548.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
  • DSCN9550.JPG
    DSCN9550.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
Of all my 82cc Mac's the 800 seems
to be way under powered.

I've noticed you mention that a couple of times now. Think you may have even called it 'a dog' once! (Shame on you!) Can't help but wonder what may be going on with it. Seems as though the "general" consensus is that an 850 is a stronger saw..., presumably due to the top end differences (no Q port), but not having one for a comparison I'd still say my PM800 is also very strong as compared to my Husky 288 and Stihl 066. Not quite in that category of course, but a mighty respectable saw nonetheless.

Still haven't gotten around to sorting out the ignition issue with my SP81, but that's gonna be an interesting comparison to the PM800. I don't think it will be a fair fight with the SP81 just recently being rebuilt with a new set of rings and ridiculous compression now, though.

I've noticed you mention that a couple of times now. Think you may have even called it 'a dog' once! (Shame on you!) Can't help but wonder what may be going on with it. Seems as though the "general" consensus is that an 850 is a stronger saw..., presumably due to the top end differences (no Q port), but not having one for a comparison I'd still say my PM800 is also very strong as compared to my Husky 288 and Stihl 066. Not quite in that category of course, but a mighty respectable saw nonetheless.

Still haven't gotten around to sorting out the ignition issue with my SP81, but that's gonna be an interesting comparison to the PM800. I don't think it will be a fair fight with the SP81 just recently being rebuilt with a new set of rings and ridiculous compression now, though.
I too would say my that my like new 800 is a dog compared to at least three 850's I have had. The 800 is a great 28" bar saw, where the 850 is much better at 32" and can pull a 36" if needed. The 800 likely suffers the most from it's giant restrictive quiet tone muffler. I think the Q port is a smaller secondary power robber. That said, the 800 is still no joke and is a pleasure to run as it IS quieter. I did have a low hour 850 that had the same power as the 800 and it turned out to have a large amount of casting flash in the exhaust port. I happen to like either saw depending on bar length needed.

Won't a conventional PM850 muffler fit on a PM800? Never checked the IPL's to see. Seems like that'd be an easy enough fix for a less than stellar performing PM800..., not that it would pull a 36" bar with any more authority, but that seems like a bit of a stretch for most 82cc saws anyway..., 'cept maybe the PM850 (according to legend).

Won't a conventional PM850 muffler fit on a PM800? Never checked the IPL's to see. Seems like that'd be an easy enough fix for a less than stellar performing PM800..., not that it would pull a 36" bar with any more authority, but that seems like a bit of a stretch for most 82cc saws anyway..., 'cept maybe the PM850 (according to legend).
If you run the two saws side by side, you will gain a big appreciation for the 850. Otherwise for just firewood duty, I doubt you'd notice much. When out cutting firewood, I thought my 038 mag II was as good as my 12mm 044. When I got home I tested them side by side and there was a noticable difference then. I'd say the 800 is closer to a 460 Stihl and the 850 I would liken to a 066. Not meaning any insult to the Mac's by such a comparison to the newer whiney plastic saws. And yes, an 850 muffler would no doubt help and lose some weight at the same time, though the quiet is less tiring over time for to me. And all those 82cc Mac's are as smooth as any 372 to me, and done so without silly springs. The rubber mount Stihls are seriously lacking when compared.

Cut some more today with my PM800 with an 850 muffler duct. It pulls a 33" .404 semi-chisel with a 7 pin nicely. Haven't run across any really big stuff to try it on but it will bury the same length bar wearing .375 full chisel (round) with an 8 pin in oak. The only fresh 850 I have run was just rebuilt so it was not broken in, I could tell no difference between its performance and my PM800. Brian's pre-melt down PM800 was noticeably stronger. All my other 850s were pretty well spent so I don't base anything on my experience with them. I ran Brian's freshly rebuilt 800 briefly today, but not before Brian broke the starter handle in half as I held the saw down. It was plenty strong but the wood was too small to get a real feel for it. Ron

Brian comes equipped for any occasion with his MACs. When I questioned him, he responded, "Why not?" He brought a PowerMac 6A (formerly mine, but now you can bury the 12" bar in red oak); a 1010S, a PM610, a MiniMac and his fresh PM800. I don't know how he does it but it seems with the exception of the SP125C, every saw he gets from me in our trades turns out to be a strong runner.

Here he is running his PM610 without missing a beat.
IMG_2646.JPG

Here is an earlier photo where he lives dangerously by straddling one of two chains that is keeping the log from rolling in a ravine. We had to keep whittling it to get to a size the tractor could lift.
IMG_2640.JPG

When you see a saw cut like this one and watch a few Bucking Billy Ray 1010 videos you really have to scratch your head at all the disdain shown on AS for 60cc saws.

Ron

Man I am sorry about your truck, it is such a nice truck but you watched me mangle the front bumper on my truck on a log in my yard. When I owned the towing company I had a very tight driveway to back a 40 foot motorhome. When I got it finally in the very short driveway in the position the owner wanted it my frontend was up against his neighbors mailbox. I thought to myself I need to remember that the mailbox was in front of my truck. I was in a Kenworth and the hood hid the mailbox. Well after talking to the owner for a bit and another call coming in for a heavy tow I jumped in my truck and took off. I mangled that mailbox. I never knew I hit it until I looked back in my mirror and saw it laying in the road flat as a board. I felt like an idiot. We all have done things like this.
The SP125c is just not together yet. It will be a strong runner when I get done with it. Not sure as strong as yours but with the newly replated cylinder, new piston, new rings, new seals and gaskets, I think it will run very good. As far as the PM6, you just cannot beat this saw, it is a runner and as you know I have two of them. The other has all new ring, seals, gaskets and carb rebuild and has been converted to a auto oiler. It's yours for the asking. I offered it to you today and have offered in times before. I just cannot say enough good about this saw. The mini Mac, it too is a good saw. Not as good as the PM6 but still a good runner. The 10-10S is a great saw as is the PM610. I know a lot of people do not like them but I really like this one. The PM 800 started running fine after I went back to the truck. I think I figured out what the problem is on it. The fuel I have is mixed at 32:1 so that is the only saw I use it on. I bet that fuel is old, like I think it was mixed in February and if I am not mistaking I need fuel and mixed it with regular fuel because that was all I had. I am betting it is not ethanol free fuel. I think I can remember I needed the saw the next day, it was late and that was all I had. I just figured that all I needed was to make 2 cuts and I would pour the rest in Lee's ATV and did not. I bet that thing has bad fuel in it.

Brian

Despite my little just for fun projects I am trying to have fewer saws to take care of, otherwise I would take you up on the PM6A. I limbed a lot of trees in my youth with a PM6A. If I ever get around to fixing the throttle linkage on the SP40 I'll race you with your PM6A. I'll have a displacement advantage on you but a longer bar.

I do feel bad about the SP125C being less than we expected.

Ron

I like the SP125c the way it is. I now have basicly a new SP125c with the new plating. When I get it back together it will be a great saw. What I really feel bad about is the 101b spitting out the bearing. I still don't understand why that happened.

Brian
P.S. The PM6 is waiting for the challenge... HaHaHa I have a 1/4 chain on the PM6 and that gives me an advantage.

By the way it may not look like it but the PM6A has a 14" bar. It looks like a 12" because it is a 1/4" chain.
We need to have one of our famous shootouts with your SP40 and my PM6A. We also need to have a 60cc shoot out. I think you have a Stihl 60cc, I have a Husky 262XP 60cc and the McCulloch SP 610 60cc and see which one comes out on top. Spite the heat I had fun doing the 80cc shootout. I think it would be a fun afternoon of sawing.
Then when I get my SP125c running we can do a shootout between them.

Brian

Back