McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haynes service manual list PM605 data:
3.5ci/58cc(should say 44cc not 58cc to match 3.5ci)
bore/stroke pi (RxR)xstroke=displacement
1.57 x 1.38 =3.4989ci
40 x 35 =43.982cc
I think 1.57/40mm bore is a typo and should be 1.81/46mm
1.81 x 1.38 =3.6ci
46 x 35 =58.16cc

1.85 x 1.38 =3.7ci
4.7 x 35 =60.72cc (bore should be 47)
1.81 x 1.38 =3.6ci (inch and metric bore/stroke match acres site)
46 x 35 =58.16cc

For now I'm going with timber bear as 58cc until I can popsicle stick the bore.:innocent:

Todays popsicle stick test proves to me the bore is 46mm on my timber bear and is therefore 58cc/3.6cid and probably the other PM605/600134 family are the same. 40mm x 35mm=43.982cc seems awful small to be in the same family!!!

On my PM850, The decomp seems to have no effect.

Is this common?

I was bit by it on Friday Night.

Could be plugged with carbon or closing early.

I like the decomp but they can be dangerous if closed unknown to you while drop starting. My 805 will close with the slightest pull of the recoil - more than once I have stuck the blade in my leg when the saw rotated in my grip due it being closed. Fortunately the saw didn’t start on these occasions.

Ron

If the DSP valve has no effect at all the port is probably plugged with carbon. Remove the valve and remove the 8-32 SHCS below the DSP valve and gently remove the carbon with a twist drill turned by hand.

New valves are generally available from e-Bay or other suppliers.

Mark

Thank You.

It sounds like fuel related. These carbs are not as complicated as you would think. Get you a rebuild kit and a can of carb cleaner and have at it. I think on the Zama website it gives a good step by step on how to clean and rebuild this type of carb. And also youtube has several good videos on rebuilding these carbs. While I was doing it I would replace the fuel filter. Not a very hard job.

Brian[/QUOTE
It sounds like fuel related. These carbs are not as complicated as you would think. Get you a rebuild kit and a can of carb cleaner and have at it. I think on the Zama website it gives a good step by step on how to clean and rebuild this type of carb. And also youtube has several good videos on rebuilding these carbs. While I was doing it I would replace the fuel filter. Not a very hard job.

Brian
Thank you for the feedback. Greatly appreciated.

Can you recommend a couple options for buying a rebuild kit? Amazon? Other?

Thanks

Thank you Mark for your descriptions of all those saws. I indeed prefer the anti vibe and happy to have a couple of those in the CP70L and soon SP80
Walter
mark is right about what he said although i dont have all the ones he mentioned or all of them like he has i do use mine alot i have two 10-10s two 7-10s a 700pm a pm55 a 10-10 pm 8200pm and a pm 800 thats all i have of the ones mark mentioned i do have a few more and yes the 10-10s are nice but the 10-10pm are little devils will pull a 28 better than the 10-10s so they have 20s the pm55 pulls a 28 hard and all day i favor it over the 10-10 and the 10-10s as far as the 7-10 and pm700 comparison mark is right the 7-10 is better very strong and will pull a 32 all day if you ask it but the balance is off more nose heavy than with a 28 well balanced with a 28 same with the pm700 but the 700 isnt that much slower and is still a very strong saw i love mine and the 7-10 but to me they are the perfect size as far as power goes not much they cant handle you can even do small stuff real quick cant go wrong with either one of those as far as the 82s go if mark is right and the 850 is the best one and will out cut the 8200 and 800 that i have well i must have one cause the 8200 will out cut the 800 but not by much ron is right about the 800 i can bury the 34 i got on it and lean on it hard and it doesnt care the 8200 doesnt care either and they both run real smooth the 8200 is a little smoother and all the ones ive mentioned will keep up or out cut the new age saws of similar size..i do,have a mini mac 35 with an 18 on it thats a little monster love that thing found it in an antbed i use it to cut trees down just because it will..mabe this helps you out a little with your question

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

If I have this right the engines are the same? Say the 70cc all the same and 82cc all the same. Ignitions were upgraded as time went on?
Basic Q is will an SP80 be as good as the rest of that series? The same for my CP70L, does it hold its own against the rest of the 70cc versions?
Thinking of what to try to add to my Mac collection. Hmmmmmm

If I have this right the engines are the same? Say the 70cc all the same and 82cc all the same. Ignitions were upgraded as time went on?
Basic Q is will an SP80 be as good as the rest of that series? The same for my CP70L, does it hold its own against the rest of the 70cc versions?
Thinking of what to try to add to my Mac collection. Hmmmmmm
if it was me super pro 80 for sure!! but indont think all the engines where the same for either size but mark knows that info better than me had to be a reason why some older modles of the same ccs where better than the newer ones but get your self and 80 and a 7-10 and enjoy

Thanks. I do like my cp70
The SP80 will be in my hot little hands around Christmas time. My daughter picked it up already. So maybe i need that 7-10 eh?

Thanks. I do like my cp70
The SP80 will be in my hot little hands around Christmas time. My daughter picked it up already. So maybe i need that 7-10 eh?
o yeah you want one my 12 year old son always goes for his 7-10 got him a nice super pro 70 for xmas and will race them to see which one is better but those 7-10 where legends on the west cost

Not all saws within a cc range were equivalents. The 7-10 seems to be the best of the 70 cc, the PM850 the best of the 82cc, I am not sure there is that much difference in the other ranges, particularly when you consider they are so close to the same displacement anyway (54, 57, and 60 cc).

I do think some were a bit more torque (SP70) compared to quick (7-10) but this may just be my impression based on my expectations.

I have seen a nice 10-10 with a good operator finish right behind a 250 and an SP81 in the under 5 In³ class in Baraboo.

Mark

Not all saws within a cc range were equivalents. The 7-10 seems to be the best of the 70 cc, the PM850 the best of the 82cc, I am not sure there is that much difference in the other ranges, particularly when you consider they are so close to the same displacement anyway (54, 57, and 60 cc).

I do think some were a bit more torque (SP70) compared to quick (7-10) but this may just be my impression based on my expectations.

I have seen a nice 10-10 with a good operator finish right behind a 250 and an SP81 in the under 5 In³ class in Baraboo.

Mark
some of those earlier pm10-10 were mean i know mine is i do run it a little hot tho..your right didnt know what i had when i got those two 7-10s until i cut with them still after an 850

It must be a good saw. I appreciate the offers but now my curiosity has gotten the better of me and just ordered a carb kit for it, I might have something their I did not know I had. I just had it set back for a point and time where I did not have much to do. I know it is light for a 70cc saw. The compression release is kind of funky as I have never seen or operated one like this. I am now looking forward to restoring it.

Brian

Latest posts

Back