McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been curious myself as to why no gasket sealers on the oiler. Given the attachment variations and the change to wedge shaped gaskets, it appears that MAC was tinkering with getting a seal ever since it quit using the two back screws. Don’t know this to be fact, just armchair theorizing.

Nice looking saw btw.

Ron

Been curious myself as to why no gasket sealers on the oiler. Given the attachment variations and the change to wedge shaped gaskets, it appears that MAC was tinkering with getting a seal ever since it quit using the two back screws. Don’t know this to be fact, just armchair theorizing.

Nice looking saw btw.

Ron

That makes sense to me. I surprised they all don't leak.

Tim - I think that starter was from the Japanese version of the saw if my memory is working.

Mark

HI Mark,
This all I've been able to find on those starters. From the 63084 Manual. The saw is an early manual oiler only saw. No tag in the air box. The only stamped numbers on the bottom of the case are P10 and a 4 digit number. There's a dealer sticker from Hamilton Ontario on the fuel tank. The only reference to Japan on it is inside the fuel cap. I thought I found another part with Japan on it but I couldn't find it today.
It has a pancake muffler with reed valve. The cover is one of the ones that has four mounting screws rather than three. I would guess it may have been manufactured at the Toronto plant.

I think the next time we meet up (hopefully) this saw needs to be in your collection if you would like to have it.

What can you tell about the PM55? Is it comparable to a 10-10S? I was a little hesitant to buy the PM55 as it had been run without an air filter and there's a bit of scoring. Comp is at 145 psi but it feels like it has good power.

upload_2017-12-17_19-47-16.png

upload_2017-12-17_19-48-26.png

I have a PM55 with a new piston and cylinder, it is one of my favorite saws to run. Quite comparable to the 10-10S but in my opinion more nimble and maneuverable with the short clutch cover. Even though I use it a lot I am not sure on the muffler other than it is a pancake style. I didn't have a brake on it when I put it back together, but after the first outing and a small nick in my left thumb from a minor kickback event, I put a brake on it.

Mark

Tim i'm not the best with mac's but I have never seen a starter
on a 10 series like that. Learn something new everyday.

Me neither Lee. Maybe Europe, Japan and Australia though? It seems like MAC was full of surprises.

We get some weird stuff here, Poulan, MAC and Homelite.

It used to go like this when I was working. The guys in the US would say,

"What are we going to do with this obsolete part? We're going to get in trouble with the boss. We shouldn't have made so many. Hey, I have an idea, let's send it to the Canadian plant!."

I have a PM55 with a new piston and cylinder, it is one of my favorite saws to run. Quite comparable to the 10-10S but in my opinion more nimble and maneuverable with the short clutch cover. Even though I use it a lot I am not sure on the muffler other than it is a pancake style. I didn't have a brake on it when I put it back together, but after the first outing and a small nick in my left thumb from a minor kickback event, I put a brake on it.

Mark

MIne has the long brake cover. Might try a few cookies with it tomorrow if the freezing rain / rain holds off.

By the way, for the PM800 rebuild I'm doing, I've been watching eBay for a 92519 piston that is less than $100 and the only one in months has been the Lil' Red Barn knockoff. It looks quite 'rough' compared to the OEM piston (casting, inside, etc) and it has thick rings instead of thin. Should I be concerned or just go for it? Bear in mind, this saw isn't going to be used a ton, I just want it to be usable to cycle into service occasionally for the couple of trees I cut a year. More of a 'sweet to have a working 800' thing.

Still looking for input on this if anyone has thoughts...

Rob

Have you checked with Randy Duncan? Also check with Bryce Stott (customchainsawparts) on e-bay; he used to have them for $49.95.

Mark

I have not. Is Randy on eBay or how would I reach him? Does he have a web site? I will contact Bryce via eBay.

Thanks,
Rob

Back