McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ever heard of someone breaking the end off a crankshaft? Apparently a guy with an 850 tried taking the clutch off and forgot the thread direction so the end snapped off. Is that possibly repairable via a competent welding shop or is this a full crankshaft replacement? Guy wants to know how much I'd give him for an otherwise running 850 with that issue. I'm thinking $75 or so since it will be quite a bit of work to recover (unless the welding plan worked).

Rob

Does anyone know if the crankshaft on a PM850 is the same as on a PM800 or SP81?

Thanks,
Rob
Ever heard of someone breaking the end off a crankshaft? Apparently a guy with an 850 tried taking the clutch off and forgot the thread direction so the end snapped off. Is that possibly repairable via a competent welding shop or is this a full crankshaft replacement? Guy wants to know how much I'd give him for an otherwise running 850 with that issue. I'm thinking $75 or so since it will be quite a bit of work to recover (unless the welding plan worked).

Rob

Apparently I'll be passing on this since the guy wants essentially "good condition running saw" price for the broken crankshaft 850. He's going to weld it himself and return it to service. At which point I wouldn't really want it anyway.

The red Homelite duckbill will work, I have also had good success lately with the green Poulan ones.

You will have to share your technique for getting the aluminum one apart, I have not been able to do that myself so far.

Mark
Mark, it was by fluke I got it apart. Cap held loosely in drill press vice, 17/64 drill bit with a section of 3/8" tubing slid over the bit. Set the drill in chuck leaving near 1/8" protruding to prevent the drill grabbing and having a wreck. When I started the press the drill bit dug in and spun the plug free.
Picked up a duckbill yesterday and will post pics of the fix.

Ron - I have a PM8200 parts saw in the attic that I suspect has a scored piston/cylinder. If the crankshaft and rod are any good they are yours...caveat is I may not have a chance to take it apart for another week or two as I will be continuing my travels until 22 January or thereabouts.

DSCN0006.JPG

Mark Heimann

Hello everyone, new to the site. Been a Mac man my entire life. Thought some of you might like to see my current project 10-10. Just installed a gas tank gasket tonight, now all I need to do is hang a chain and give her some wood to chew.
John
ec8b41a444cc361f2ff8823b9917df96.jpg
3364c70f279e4614634a5f7100411df5.jpg
097b362f109d26e1239bdcbc5225fbbe.jpg
d26238f2c2203f7fd03616266434dc91.jpg
8200764421d32c87a578930d0316cc36.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Hello everyone, new to the site. Been a Mac man my entire life. Thought some of you might like to see my current project 10-10. Just installed a gas tank gasket tonight, now all I need to do is hang a chain and give her some wood to chew.
John

Welcome John!
The 10-10S was my first ever Mac and the saw that started this eccentric path I’m on.
Jim

The 10-10S is what I started using as a youngster (11, 12?) helping my parents cut tons of large Elms taken by Dutch Elm disease in the early 80's. My dad had that saw until he gave it to me when it wasn't running right about 7 years ago. Minor repair and the thing has been back in action since. Still impresses other folks who see it run, even compared to much newer saws. The 10-10S is what got me interested in getting other 'sibling' saws from the same era. I now have the ones in my signature and enjoy bringing dead saws back to life. Many thanks to the folks here for helping with that.

Rob

The 10-10S is what I started using as a youngster (11, 12?) helping my parents cut tons of large Elms taken by Dutch Elm disease in the early 80's. My dad had that saw until he gave it to me when it wasn't running right about 7 years ago. Minor repair and the thing has been back in action since. Still impresses other folks who see it run, even compared to much newer saws. The 10-10S is what got me interested in getting other 'sibling' saws from the same era. I now have the ones in my signature and enjoy bringing dead saws back to life. Many thanks to the folks here for helping with that.

Rob
This is my first 10 series. But I have had many of the newer pm610 and pm650s. Also have a 137 e husky and and a 371xp. But I'll grab my Macs over the husky more often than not

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Believe it was white oak. Got some funky shaped firewood out of it due to two cutters. A fellow had been cutting on the piece in the back with a 661 but he quit - not sure why - so I finished it up with no oiler. My oiler quit on the second tank. Not sure if it was the cold or a malfunction.

I cut a red oak snag down while we were there with the same saw. The .404 makes wedge insertion pretty easy. Cut it against the lean due to wind gusts so I started the back cut first. Brian let me try out his PM605 when we bucked it. I was surprised at the torque. Slower than my 60cc Stihls but way more torque.

Towards the end while others were busting their guts to load that chunked up white oak, I noticed Brian had disappeared on a golf cart with the LO. He came back with a lead on some "big" MAC in the neighborhood. We are both anxious to find out more about it. LO promised to check it out for Brian.

Ron

Red oak
IMG_2818.JPG IMG_2823.JPG IMG_2828.JPG

I have a Mac 3516 that the bar oiler quit on. It ran great though. It's broken down into pieces now. Would the parts have any value?

Latest posts

Back