McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Need opinions. I am rebuiling my 10-10 a. Planning on stepping it down to16 inch bar. Im cutting hardwood tops behind a logging operation that have mostly been down about a year and was trying to set up a saw as a fastcutting light weight alternative to the big saws Iinhave been running. Most of the wood im getting now is 12 inch or smaller. Opinions on whether to go with 3/8 or .325 pitch would be appreciated. Also have limited experience with new oregon bars to know what is good and what is not. Also whether to go with oversize sprocket or not. Did search but didnt find anything specific to the 10-10 saws. So if anyone has experience or ideas my ears and mind is open

The 10 Series saws are more torque and less chain speed than most modern saws, full 3/8" is the way to go. There are lots of bar options including quite a few NOS on e-bay an in dealers stock, if you plant to use this saw for a long time consider one with a replaceable sprocket nose so you only need to change out the sprocket down the road.

The standard mount is D-176 but there are many others that are close enough to work with a little file time and/or drilling an oiler hole.

Mark

Thanks mark. Do plan on this being being around long time. Used to runn 20 inch used mac bar with oregon 72 lgx on it. Sound like same chain on 16Iinch way to go. Might get couple sizes of rims.to play with

Trying to get ready tonight instead of waiting until morning. I must have dreamed the 800 was ready to go. I forgot it was in pieces waiting for me to determine the proper o-ring size for the oiler. So two hours in I have replaced both AV mounts and the oiler piston. Dressed the bar and struggled to get the chain on. Finally realized the chain was two drive links too short. Frustrating but good to know others make mistakes too.

Some will remember that I had been running busted AV mounts that I had screwed together. All of the screws had vibrated loose. Borrowed the mounts and oiler piston from my stalled A cylinder 800. Sure don’t like buying 25 year old rubber parts but I guess I’ll have to until I come up with a better alternative. Ron

My brother is generally on the lookout for saws for me, alerted me to an auction site that is local to him, a few more saws will be coming to me when we can schedule a visit (he currently lives near Superior, WI).

View attachment 628239

View attachment 628240

Mark
Is that a super 250 In there. I have one that is scheduled for a rebuild maybe this summer but missing air cleaner cover

Latest posts

Back