McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok cool thanks so the 800 is the chrome Q port jug yea? Can the cast bore 850 jug be used? I recall in my research somewhere that the ignition and mufflers dont fit the older type?. And whats a fair price to pay it may cost me 250 to 350nz so 170 220ish us. Its on trade me.co.nz. if anyone wants a look.
Is it the one with the broken starter housing? https://www.trademe.co.nz/home-livi...02.htm?rsqid=5fcb7b52eb574570af63896d8a1b17ae

If so, it is one of the earlier ones without the dsp valve - probably why the cover is broken. It is certainly worth the current bid of $133.00. The lower handle guard has a mild kink in it. I have seen much worse. I’m not sure how that happens except maybe a pinch and then a torpedo back into something hard.

If it was local to me and ran well, it would be worth $200 to me since I have the parts to fix it. The broken cover is unique to the bottom mufflered 82cc MACs. Sometimes they are cheap and other time expensive on the eBay.

Ron

PS to above. The 850 is chrome as well and will bolt up to the 800 lower half if the machining is close enough, but the cylinder has the unique mounting points that won’t interchange.

Ron

Tried the carb from the cp70 and same poor running performance on the sp80
Any tips? Thinking something else wrt the engine

Hard to diagnose stuff like that but have you changed the crank seals? Tuning for an air leak means you go way rich to compensate and it won't run or start with a darn.

Other than the seals. the carb boot and the impulse line could also be suspect.

That's my best guess Walter.

Thanks Tim
Will check those things next. The cp70 runs good with its carb so kinda rules out carburetion. Test the sp80 carb on cp70 would confirm that mmmmm
Will make up the fittings to leak check next
Cheers

If you have a very old saw (20+ yrs) you like, it's best just to change the seals out. They are likely near the end of life. I find quite often the saw will fire up well after lines and a kit but once used for cutting and put under load, they fail in a short time.

Seals, unless really shot, will often show good under pressure as the pressure holds them against the crank but show failure under vacuum pretty quickly if they're shot.

Tim, I bet that is what happened to this saw. It initially ran well when first cleaned up then a month later it won't run.
Thanks for the encouragement eh!

Ok guys thanks heaps for your advice sounds like its a good buy if the auction dusnt go nuts. I payed 116 for a pro mac 10-10 thats getting up there I know (its rough one too) but seems to be fairly average price in nz. We are a small country so less stuff around I guess

A sign at a local restaurant
0912fdc701cc34feb8169383d1a80783.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That should sell fast as it's cheaper than most 125's. And even some that don't run.

It was gone when I clicked on it! Wonder how they adapted the decompression valve? My understanding is a head bolt is in the location where the valve goes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back