McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Id just crank the idle up a tad as long as theres no lean condition going on. When ever I get a saw out for work it seems to run slightly different in nz 1 day mite be hot still and sunny the next can be a brutal Antarctic southerly and yup the saw mite run differently so allways have the screw driver on hand. Also the carb could do with a rebuild

Thank you. However, I don't think it is just an idle issue. It's like it is dying as I let off the gas, but as soon as I hit the gas again it will get going again. Low idle will just gradually slow down, start chugging, then die.

Rob

Thank you. However, I don't think it is just an idle issue. It's like it is dying as I let off the gas, but as soon as I hit the gas again it will get going again. Low idle will just gradually slow down, start chugging, then die.

Rob
Was thinking fuel blockages but would think it would go higher and lean and then die. My 700 has the idle wound all the way in allmost not sure why but it runs fine holds a tune so just left it like that untle it gets a full rebuild.

Scott - that one has the brass insert, it is pressed in and should twist out with a pair of pliers to reveal the spring and what's left of the duck ill valve. Clean it out thoroughly and install a new green Poulan duckbill valve, they work in the brass insert with no modifications.

Mark

Got the 7-10 DSP valve cleaned and the saw reassembled, it passes a pressure/vac test now and definitely has more compression than before. Unfortunately it didnt fix the problem. Carb is still very hard to tune and doesnt want to hold its tune. Thinking I need to dig back into the SDC. Could I have damaged anything soaking the carb in berrymans chemdip overnight?

Thinking I'm gonna try swapping one of my 10-10 carbs over to the 7-10 for testing purposes. I'm not doing so well with saw carbs lately.
I have a homelite ez that, despite being in the carb numerous times, I cannot get it to draw fuel.

Alright Mark, I pulled the insert out and there was nothing inside. Probably why I'm getting fuel out. Just to clarify, the green duck bill will take the place of the brass insert so it will no longer be needed, correct?

Scott

Mark - I follow you know, but there was no spring or duckbill valve in the insert. Is there a certain size spring I need to purchase? Also, do you have a part number or size for the duckbill valve or is there only one size?

Scott

Is a tidy running 250 worth grabing? No bar. He wants 100nz for it. Has a choke no primer put a squirt down is throat n away it went after 5 years. Do they usually have strong compression? its not like pulling the pm800 over but yea runs ok. I worry about parts for the carb.20180310_165924.jpg

That is a Tillotson HL. Parts are readily available on Ebay and the like.
They are decent saws but not fast cutters. Probably only turn around 8k in the cut but will just keep on chugging along.
No auto oiler either, thumb gets a workout.

Mark - I follow you know, but there was no spring or duckbill valve in the insert. Is there a certain size spring I need to purchase? Also, do you have a part number or size for the duckbill valve or is there only one size?

Scott

Scott, the Poulan duckbill PN is 530026119. You might be able to pick up a spring at a hardware store. It need to go over the valve bu contact the flange on the valve.
The valves should be common as they are used in current production.

The OD of the valve is (minimum spring inside diameter) of the spring is 0.156". The OD of the flange is 0.196". It is a light wire compression spring that needs to force the flange on the valve to the fuel cap to make a seal so air can enter through the valve but doesn't allow air to leave the fuel tank.
I suspect Mark is heading home.

To be fair, most of the saws you see in that photo belong to Eric (EMF123).

Let me introduce everyone: L-R Kris (nogoinback), Me, Pete, Parker, sitting is Brock (the Rock) and that's Eric's leg and a bag of popcorn, you can probably figure out which is which.

It was a blast as always!! It was great to see Kris' MC101 hot saw back in action. So many cool saws. Can't wait for next year !!

Latest posts

Back