McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rob - If you want to make sure the passage is clear you will have to remove the compression release (normally a 3/8" drive 7/16" socket will work) then remove the 8-32 socket head cap screw below the compression release. I think you can use a 5/32" drill bit but just twist it by hand, don't chuck it in a drill and run it in. You will need to take measures to clean all of the carbon out of the cylinder once you get the passage open, you might get by using compressed air to blow out the cylinder. You can see the socket head cap screw above the muffler on the SP70 below.

DSC05108.JPG

Mark

Hi Folks,

Picked up a couple of Mac tonight. What I believe is a 610 (brick) and a mystery vintage Mac. Please help me identify, perhaps a 55 Missing clutch cover/recoilMLNA0029.JPG MLNA0030.JPG MLNA0031.JPG MLNA0032.JPG

The 610 doesn't appear to have a choke can this be correct? It is missing parts from the chain break seems to have v good comp and does have a decomp valve.

The 55 is a gear drive saw. I have one. With a round muffler. You have a direct drive saw. Ill guess a model 44. Turn it over and look at the bottom. It may be stamped. Youll see a model number on the left of the " T ", and perhaps a serial number on the right side.

Rob, You might not have to take it off at all. Their is a screw on the muffler side right up around the DSP Valve. Take it out and use a snall drill bit to clear the carbon from the hole leading into the cylinder. Put the screw back in and I bet your DSP valve will work.

Brian

Sweet info! Thanks. Will try it.

And thanks rwoods and Mark for the additional info. Love this place!

Rob

A question for those of you who restore/repaint these saws. Do you fully assemble the saw then paint the whole saw the way I think they did from the factory or do you paint individual parts? If you paint individual parts, what do you do to paint the exposed screw heads after?
The last one I did I painted individual parts but I replaced all the hardware with new so I just left all the screw heads shiny. Want to reuse the original hardware on this one so I want to touch up the paint on them.
Thanks guys.

Hi Folks,

Picked up a couple of Mac tonight. What I believe is a 610 (brick) and a mystery vintage Mac. Please help me identify, perhaps a 55 Missing clutch cover/recoilView attachment 671669 View attachment 671670 View attachment 671671 View attachment 671672

The 610 doesn't appear to have a choke can this be correct? It is missing parts from the chain break seems to have v good comp and does have a decomp valve.
Fresh pics in the sun. Removed that weird cover over the clutch I'm sure that was not stock. Pretty sure this is one of the 44's, whether 72, 80 or 87cc still to determine.. I think there may still be some non-OEM bits of metal plate still attached. Looks like a farmer repair. Does anyone have an extra recoil/clutch cover?MLNA0035.JPG MLNA0034.JPG MLNA0033.JPG

Kevin- I've done it both ways but painting the assembled saw is certainly easier and eliminates the fastener issues. You certainly could pre-paint some of the components that will be hard to paint with the saw assembled but the last coat assembled will look more like a factory finish.

Lee - that poor thing has had a hard life. You might be doing it a favor by putting it out of its misery...

Mark

Kevin- I've done it both ways but painting the assembled saw is certainly easier and eliminates the fastener issues. You certainly could pre-paint some of the components that will be hard to paint with the saw assembled but the last coat assembled will look more like a factory finish.

Lee - that poor thing has had a hard life. You might be doing it a favor by putting it out of its misery...

Mark
Want it for parts, not locked up! I've only got $15 CDN into it

Should I reseal these welch? Plugs in the block prior to paint and reassembly? Maybe a coat of JB weld or similar is in order. The center one seems raised, although not loose, makes me a bit nervous.
c33d58b3399f55b5e9b6a75cdf0e7e81.jpg
fac31676d4e61930e1df40c444caae52.jpg

I got to say, I've never seen the little holes in the plugs like that before. Why would someone go through all that trouble?

A question for those of you who restore/repaint these saws. Do you fully assemble the saw then paint the whole saw the way I think they did from the factory or do you paint individual parts? If you paint individual parts, what do you do to paint the exposed screw heads after?
The last one I did I painted individual parts but I replaced all the hardware with new so I just left all the screw heads shiny. Want to reuse the original hardware on this one so I want to touch up the paint on them.
Thanks guys.

I paint each piece separately, and mask anything that doesn't want to be painted. That way every exposed surface is protected from corrosion and the finish is uniform. For the screw heads I use a soft wire wheel to clean up the heads and threads. If I am concerned about the fasteners rusting (due to the zinc plating being long gone) I will use clear nail polish on the heads once they are installed.

I got to say, I've never seen the little holes in the plugs like that before. Why would someone go through all that trouble?

Maybe to use a punch in the holes to expand the plugs slightly to get them to seat? I've never had to take the plugs out before on any of mine. its definitely not factory.

Back