McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mcculloch chain ID???

Got a NOS stock roll of (40-stamped on the cutter), (M stamped on the straps) and (M90 on the driver)

Any one have a clue??

Thanks guys!

what would you use for oil/gas tank gasket on a super 250? thanks

If you can find an oem gasket, then what i use is
gasket paper from my local Napa store. I would
use the tan colored paper thats around the same
thickness as the original. Then i spray it with the
copper spray sealer. Just don't use a paper thats
to thick or hard.

Lee

My Super 250 acting up.....

This is the really nice S250 I picked up a few weeks. With new gaskets/diaphragms in the carb and fuel lines, the saw ran like new. I let it sit a week or so, and when I start it I can't throttle up to WOT without dying out and no amount of carb adjustment would help. Finally concluded the hi side was somehow plugged. Got it apart and in the ultrasonic cleaner (w/ diluted Simple green) for 2 dips and got the hi circuit opened up and saw was back to running great. Let it sit again for a week and the same thing is happening. Almost has to be the check ball under that big welch plug sticking.

The carb was VERY varnishy when I tore it apart but I figure I got all that out with 2 good cleanings.

Can I use diluted Purple Power in the ultrasonic machine to clean this thing or will I permanently damage something in the carb? I don't yet want to remove the big welch plug until I have a replacement in my hand.

On a happier note, I got my other S250 going today with a carb kit. It was already a runner but the original metering diaphragm was very stretched and the saw was hard to dial in. The 2 S250s are practically twins aside from #2 being a bit more battleworn.

Chris B.

Hi Guys...

Got some fire outta the big mac today:clap:...

attachment.php

:spam::monkey: Just kidding!!! LOL.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

a bit of mix down the (MISSING) muffler, cranked it a few times with the saw tilted forward (bar down) to get the mix in the crankcase...

coupla pulls, couple pops, then she ran for 5 sec or so!! We'll try some mix in the (now dry) tank, and go from there :)

With that being said,

anyone have a muffler for this saw (790)??

a clutch center for a PM610 (I think the guy ran the saw with the brake on and cracked the clutch hub....)

a set of rings for a 6-10 super (cyl looks good, just seems a bit low on compression...)

I could also use a flywheel key, clutch, and a side cover for a PM700, if anyone has anything, I'd appreciate it!

I need more YELLOW runners!!!

I know this is not the swap meet, but not all us MAC guys hang out there too often.

Thanks!

OH, Matt, which Creamsicle you gonna put that MAC chain on???? lol

Jay

If you can find an oem gasket, then what i use is
gasket paper from my local Napa store. I would
use the tan colored paper thats around the same
thickness as the original. Then i spray it with the
copper spray sealer. Just don't use a paper thats
to thick or hard.

Lee

thanks

Also, on this saw, is the primer just that? shoots some mix into the carb throat?

as the 'choke' doesn't seem to lock down...am i missing something?

thanks guys!

J

CB- thanks! that explains something!

Is it typical to have issues with these? I have a 1-10 that has a flat-back, and it seems the primer doesn't work properly ( I have yet to tear into it...)

J

the check ball under the big welch plug is nylon or some plastic. i'd be careful with the strong stuff. i took mine apart thinking there was something plugged or sticking only to find it clear and clean,but damaged the seat and ball getting it apart.it cost $10 for a new kit. put a tilly HL in it & it runs fine. still don't know what ails the flatback.

I would say it is atypical to find a primer system that works properly. I use a squirt can full of mix, and it just so happens to be a universal fit for all Macs!!

Chris B.

LOL!!!!!

The little guys have a Bullfrog carb, the primer is repairable, on the Flatback, it is not.

Huh...well, that's not cool... :)

the check ball under the big welch plug is nylon or some plastic. i'd be careful with the strong stuff. i took mine apart thinking there was something plugged or sticking only to find it clear and clean,but damaged the seat and ball getting it apart.it cost $10 for a new kit. put a tilly HL in it & it runs fine. still don't know what ails the flatback.

What is required to put a tilly in it? from what model?

J

sawgarage-i used an HL from a remington super 770 with the low profile inlet. a HL19B from a 1-71 would work too. otherwise it was just a matter of bending primer linkage to fit the choke and same for the throttle. i did have to flip the choke shaft and drill a hole. this was on a 795.

Finally got to work the SP105

I finally got to cut with my recently aquired Super Pro 105. All I can say is WOW:dizzy: After years of cutting with a variety of 10-10's, this thing just rocked my world. Incredible! The SP125's and 797's must be something to run, this little one makes me grin.

SP105right.jpg

SP105rear.jpg

SP105front.jpg

And a grainy video of it going through about a 32" oak.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DtPZdYuzfro?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DtPZdYuzfro?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I finally got to cut with my recently aquired Super Pro 105. All I can say is WOW:dizzy: After years of cutting with a variety of 10-10's, this thing just rocked my world. Incredible! The SP125's and 797's must be something to run, this little one makes me grin.

SP105right.jpg

SP105rear.jpg

SP105front.jpg

And a grainy video of it going through about a 32" oak.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DtPZdYuzfro?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DtPZdYuzfro?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

That's a great saw ya got here. Good runner to :cheers:

The SP105 is definitely a desirable McCulloch saw to have in ones collection. A lot less common than the 125 - I guess that the difference in price between the two models wasn't enough to deter a buyer from going the whole hog and getting the 123cc SP125. I did speak to an old McCulloch dealer out here in Australia about the two models, and he believed that the 105 was a better saw. This particular 83 year old gentleman had a long and successful history with racing McCulloch saws - particularly the 797 and 125 units.

It would be great to hear from others who have had experience running the SP105 on a daily basis to find out how they performed.

Regards,

Chris.

I will second that statement,
Nice 105 Boda, You don't see those
very often. Seems though everyone
went for the 125's over the 105's back
in the day.
She sounds great.

Lee

Back