McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The saw has to have a lot of torque to make an 8 pin worth putting on. There are saws that came with 8 pins from the factory. The one I know of are some of the Terry XL- 9XX series Homelites and the P41 Pioneer.

Aww it would absolutely otherwise it be like putting a 36T sprocket on the crank of my mountain bike and I'm not fit enough for that.

Just went and counted up my teeth on the sprocket with a marker pen and nup 7tooth so obviously I've miss counted my chain 3 times in a row haha

Oregon bar D176 if 20" it's 70 drive links not 72 like most others.
If there's an "old" saw shop around they can make any chain dl you want.
We can make chain at work. I think we use 3/8" on the Stihls. I'll just need to double check Monday morning.

I'll look around for that bar. 20" is about all I need here in Western Nevada. Pinyon and Utah Juniper rarely get big enough to warrant anything bigger. My little MS170 has taken trees up to 24" without issue back in Utah at dad's place.

Not just anyone I would trust cutting on one side as I cut on the other. We take our time, plan together and reassess often. I did get punched in the gut and knocked down when an overhead cut sprung back at me. Fortunately I saw it coming and was able to take some protective measures.

Rootball was too scared to move with 164ccs of MACs coming at it.

Ron

I have been out cutting with people that were hap hazard and just lite in and just start cutting. One (Of Many) things I like about cutting with Ron is he takes his time and looks at the job and accesses the best and safest way of doing it. Being comfortable with the person you cut with means a lot and that I am with Ron. Today really showed our team work. I can tell you that I was very apprehensive about wading in on it. It had several points of support plus a possibility of it rolling in either direction if not cut properly. We first decided to cut all the branches that were not supporting it and reassessed it after that. I think if it were not cut properly it could have turned out bad. Also I am very short and Ron is tall. He could reach up and cut where I could not reach. I would have had to have a ladder.

Ron stated that he has poor sharpening and cutting skills. He is very humble to say the least. Of our group, Ron is the best feller/cutter we have. I can tell you I am not the person you want to fell trees. I can buck them, the easy part, but not very good at felling. His sharpening skills way surpass mine.

Brian

I have been out cutting with people that were hap hazard and just lite in and just start cutting. One (Of Many) things I like about cutting with Ron is he takes his time and looks at the job and accesses the best and safest way of doing it. Being comfortable with the person you cut with means a lot and that I am with Ron. Today really showed our team work. I can tell you that I was very apprehensive about wading in on it. It had several points of support plus a possibility of it rolling in either direction if not cut properly. We first decided to cut all the branches that were not supporting it and reassessed it after that. I think if it were not cut properly it could have turned out bad. Also I am very short and Ron is tall. He could reach up and cut where I could not reach. I would have had to have a ladder.

Ron stated that he has poor sharpening and cutting skills. He is very humble to say the least. Of our group, Ron is the best feller/cutter we have. I can tell you I am not the person you want to fell trees. I can buck them, the easy part, but not very good at felling. His sharpening skills way surpass mine.

Brian

I new Ron would be pulling our legs with the chain haha

Well done both of you. Some great content you guys bring us too

Got some saws out for a play

Older 7-10 got leaned out a touch more after. I know I could eek out a bit more but ahh why they cut well enough like that and intend to run them for a long long time.

Running a sdc37 on the older 7-10 it's got two short stubby jets compared to the 44 but seems to seal up on the boot.

What's the 37 generally on? It will be a prick to adjust the needles on a pm10-10 style air box it's fine on the older 10-10 though.

Why does everyone hate the zama's?

Ron has had to cut me out plenty of times. Heck on this cut I had to get my son to bring me my PM800 to cut my PM610 out. I don't think Ron saw that. I was on the other side of the trunk when that happened.

Brian

When I'm cutting around others I always have 3 wedges with me ,so I'm not pinchy Mcpincherson!
They are super helpful with that much weight.

Have looked but haven’t bought any.

Always carry plenty. Had to cut one out after Brian cut me out. Cut a big notch in the side of it in the process.

Ron

Fair enough it's only really a nostalgia saw for a play for ya. What size bar is on it? I find them a bit hampered with anything more than 20. I grab the 800 to run a 24 like a boss instead

Back