McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 10 Series SP and 82cc PM saws had tanks that could not be easily taken apart. Same goes for the large frame SP saws. I have had good success cleaning these tanks with BB's by rotating them in the lathe for an hour or so in each direction (slowly so the BB's roll around) then treating them with Red Kote. You can find Red Kote at O'Reilly's auto parts stores, I normally have to pay $30 to $35 for a quart and find I can get between 10 and 15 tanks treated depending on the size of the tank and how heavy of a coat I put in there.

20181001_161827.jpg

I have been looking for a photo of the fixture I made for the lathe to rotate the tanks but so far I can't find any.

Mark

The 10 Series SP and 82cc PM saws had tanks that could not be easily taken apart. Same goes for the large frame SP saws. I have had good success cleaning these tanks with BB's by rotating them in the lathe for an hour or so in each direction (slowly so the BB's roll around) then treating them with Red Kote. You can find Red Kote at O'Reilly's auto parts stores, I normally have to pay $30 to $35 for a quart and find I can get between 10 and 15 tanks treated depending on the size of the tank and how heavy of a coat I put in there.

View attachment 771896

I have been looking for a photo of the fixture I made for the lathe to rotate the tanks but so far I can't find any.

Mark

Your lathe fixture is found here Mark

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/poulan-thread.98495/page-2347#post-6499400

Just got done processing a deer for a buddy. Im bushed , hard to believe that i used to do this for a living.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

Interesting stuff that. What kind of wood are ya cutting?
Gonna post 3 videos for you , 1st pro mac 60 ,24" bar full comp 8 pin rim Oregon lpx chain.
2nd pro mac 55 ,18 " bar full comp 8 pin rim , stihl rs chain .
3rd pro mac 10-10s 16" bar full comp 8 pin rim , unknown chain has cm stamped on it?
Hopefully it will help you decide if you'd like to try an 8 pin rim sprocket, the wood is popular, I think you call it cotton wood?
I have to admit that the full comp chain on the pro 60 is alittle much I'd like to try full skip on the saw.

Gonna post 3 videos for you , 1st pro mac 60 ,24" bar full comp 8 pin rim Oregon lpx chain.
2nd pro mac 55 ,18 " bar full comp 8 pin rim , stihl rs chain .
3rd pro mac 10-10s 16" bar full comp 8 pin rim , unknown chain has cm stamped on it?
Hopefully it will help you decide if you'd like to try an 8 pin rim sprocket, the wood is popular, I think you call it cotton wood?
I have to admit that the full comp chain on the pro 60 is alittle much I'd like to try full skip on the saw.

Cool man yeah we call it poplar. I cut a bit of that here n there just to mix it with my blue gum/concrete wood and cut willow too as it's free and fast to process and is good for those spring or autumn chilly days.

Can't really get skip chain here I'd have to order it in from overseas. 050 chain is getting a bit oddball here now too. Husky is usually 058 and stihl is 063 mostly

Cool man yeah we call it poplar. I cut a bit of that here n there just to mix it with my blue gum/concrete wood and cut willow too as it's free and fast to process and is good for those spring or autumn chilly days.

Can't really get skip chain here I'd have to order it in from overseas. 050 chain is getting a bit oddball here now too. Husky is usually 058 and stihl is 063 mostly
Who are your non saw maker brands?

All of the chains are .050 .375 3/8ths. For some reason the 55 really sings with this set up ( my opinion) but the 10-10s not as much?
I like to experiment with this stuff because I read alot about "don't do this or that" and I'm more of an empirical person, definitely have to try it!
Even if it was a total handicap for the saw the procedure is reversible in about 10 minutes, alot better than botching a port job!
And it's pretty obvious to me that some of the rules that apply to modern saws are not necessarily true for the old torque saws.
Don't get me wrong about saw advice on this forum I take it seriously and follow it but I watch for when people write " this is what I actually did , here's a picture " not " this is what so and so said and they are always right"
Shoot 8 pin rims are cheap online now , probably because most sawyers are talked out of them.

Yeah get all the usual brands but saw shops are reluctant to buy rolls of chain that won't sell.

Nice videos all those saws sound great thanks for the demo

Well that kind of begs the question, do you have any bars that are .050?
No problem with the videos, I played with 5 saws today, it was a good day, cleaning them up before putting them away was the only downside .

Hell, I thought the PM60 held its own with the longer setup pretty well. Bigger hardwood would have been more of a challenge for sure with the 8 pin, tho. I think the 7 pin would likely cure any deficiencies there.

I think I might be jaded because I just swapped it from a 7 pin and was cutting cookies out of a 23" white oak log with it. I think if I had started with a 8 pin rim I'd probably feel like it was the bees knees, and honestly in the park service ( which I'm employed by) we only use 24" bar on our 60cc husqvarnas, and I feel like the pm 60 is compatible with them with the 8 pin.

Well that kind of begs the question, do you have any bars that are .050?
No problem with the videos, I played with 5 saws today, it was a good day, cleaning them up before putting them away was the only downside .

Yeah my 32 is 050 and a couple 16s and a 20. The 800 has to pull full comp on the 32

Latest posts

Back