McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yes IMO it is,especially lately.My very clean 850 (about 90% original paint,only 1 lowest fin missing from muffler cover & 176 PSI) cost $350 shipped from Roseburg OR to me in summer 2015.I realize Feebay isn't a real reliable gauge of prices,it can be all over the map for stuff.But its not unusual for comparable ones have been $500+ the past year or so.I've seen ones that didn't even run/somewhat beat go for that much,just incredible.

You got a great deal.

View attachment 798366 View attachment 798368

Cool as then.

That's a real nice 1 you got there and a nice bar too

. Looking forward to running this bad boy. Going out today wahoo

That would be a great deal here for a complete runner with a bar and chain. I think you did quite well at that price.

Yeah only a 20 inch hard nose on it but brand new chain atleast. Av mounts are stuffed currently rolling ideas of a fix around the head at the moment.

Thinking of cutting blocks of rubber and putting a screw and nut right through the lot so four total

Has anyone here worked on the oiler system on a Timber Bear saw. The standard 600 series MAC. I cannot get the manual or auto oiler to work and I'm pretty sure I have it narrowed down to the check valve disc.

Can anyone tell me if the disc is the standard aluminum type disc that's found in the 10 series or is it a rubber disc or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks

Yeah only a 20 inch hard nose on it but brand new chain atleast. Av mounts are stuffed currently rolling ideas of a fix around the head at the moment.

Thinking of cutting blocks of rubber and putting a screw and nut right through the lot so four total

Make a mold, pour some polyurethane and report back. Or you can use a screw and nut through the existing - I have done that with acceptable results.

Ron

NorthEast Tennessee Saturday MAC Report

Beautiful still day in North East Tennessee with frost on the ground. Brian, Lee and I bucked into firewood the remaining logs at our recent creek side spot. Brian also bucked the ash I felled last Saturday. Not sure if he was running his 800 or his 805. Lee had a 1010 of some variety going and I was using my 700 with the brush bow until the bow got a little hot while cutting larger than bow pieces (I know it is not designed for that but I drove off this morning without my 800). Brian did a little tuning on the 700 while I held it in place. I had forgotten how loud those things are without muffs. Actually painfully when he would accelerate it. Unlike the 800s the 4 stroking was easy to discern. I don't think it has been that well tuned in the 39 years I have owned it. After the hot bar, I finished up with my off brand 62cc saw.

Lee in the foreground with a 1010 and Brian in the background with an 800 or 805.
IMG_5015.JPG

PM700
IMG_5021.JPG

Beautiful day with the mountains as a backdrop.
IMG_5024.JPG

We had a good lunch prepared by a small local church. Told Brian that I was done for the day so I could get some chores done, but then a call from a damsel in distress was received. Seems a large tree had fallen across her driveway last night taking the power pole with it. Electric company restored the power but left the tree. A local tree service was called but she couldn't afford the quote. We agreed to go help her. We were told she responded in tears. We were also told it was a 28" tree. We didn't bother retrieving my 800 or any fresh chains for Brian's. Got there to find three men who had given up cutting on it with what appeared to me to be a Wildthing. The tree was dead, a hard as a rock, ready for the stove oak that was more like 32"+. We attacked it from both ends, Brian with his 805 and me with the off-brand. Wasn't long before we had dulled both in the gravel. Fortunately, Brian had also brought his 800 (which as you should know by now is really fun to run). I used it to finish chunking the stem into pieces that 2 or 3 men could handle and they cleared the road. Lady insisted on giving us what appeared to be $20. I gave in and took it as a donation to the ministry. Got back home to discover that she had wrapped the $20 around 4 crispy $20s. We need more folks like that.

Ron

This valuable report is provided through the the generous support of MacNuts like you and Blind Squirrel Falling, one of America's greatest imaginary businesses

Can anyone tell me if the disc is the standard aluminum type disc that's found in the 10 series or is it a rubber disc or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Al Smith could probably shed some light on the subject. Those oilers seem to strike a nerve with him every time the subject comes up over on Opie.

I thought of Al but he typed on the other place that he never could get one to work. I even gave Mark a call but he's never had to work on the oiler.

I hoping for a little info before it all goes back together for all time and sits quiet for as long as I own it.

It really starts and runs well. A friend gave it to me.

I thought of Al but he typed on the other place that he never could get one to work.

I thought he may at least know the answer to your question about the material used for the little disc. I think he may also have a number of NOS oilers collecting dust for a rainy day since he could never figure out how to actually fix one. May be able to talk him out of one.

So what is the common (preferred?) method for removing and installing press fit wrist pins and bearings? I have an arbor press, but only two hands and no real jig except a block of wood with a hole in it. I've seen the puller type tools that look like they would be pretty simple and effective.

Thoughts? Opinions? Experience?

So what is the common (preferred?) method for removing and installing press fit wrist pins and bearings? I have an arbor press, but only two hands and no real jig except a block of wood with a hole in it. I've seen the puller type tools that look like they would be pretty simple and effective.

I used a shop press but needed 4 hands need to make a jig would have been easier if I removed the rod from the crank but didn't want to go there yet

I put a few photos and ideas in my PM850 rebuild thread.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/mcculloch-pm850-rebuild.331866/

It is a good idea to use a heat gun or heat lamp to warm up the piston a bit before installing or removing the wrist pin. If not, you run the risk of stretching the bore in the piston or scraping a bit off the piston each time to remove and reinstall the wrist pin. Too many operations and the fit becomes too loose.

I made one of the puller type tools when working on some 3400 Poulan saws, it works well enough but I still use the press most of the time.

Mark

I used a shop press and a couple of appropriate sockets. Not really hard to press. I'm sure an arbor press will do it.
Maybe get a friend to help with an extra set of hands.

Back