McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The .354/.375 confusion has been replicated so many times. I have had several saws come to me that way, I even made the mistake and sent one out with .354 chain on a 3/8 sprocket...of course I fixed it promptly when the guy brought it back...a few years later he gave me the 10-10 and a couple other saws when he moved from the farm to a retirement community.

For what it's worth, I have perhaps 200' of .354 chain in .050 and .058 with both rim and spur type sprockets available, I am keeping the nose sprockets for myself now that I've found two or three.

Mark

The .354/.375 confusion has been replicated so many times. I have had several saws come to me that way, I even made the mistake and sent one out with .354 chain on a 3/8 sprocket...of course I fixed it promptly when the guy brought it back...a few years later he gave me the 10-10 and a couple other saws when he moved from the farm to a retirement community.

For what it's worth, I have perhaps 200' of .354 chain in .050 and .058 with both rim and spur type sprockets available, I am keeping the nose sprockets for myself now that I've found two or three.

Mark
Yeah it had a decent Mac 10-10 hard nose bar on it. I've got 1or2 good rim sprocket for 354 if anyone is interested.
I'm pretty partial to the sprocket nose bars so running the 354 isn't really feasible for me.
I have gotten a dozen or so loops of the older Homelite 38 chain recently and find that a 13/64s stihl file gives me the desired 5% file to top plate ratio.
Mark have you found the same for the cutters on the 354?

I've never even heard of 354 chain, was something before 3/8 Low Profile?
I believe that it was McCulloch specifically developed. So totally different ball game, more like "hey you bought our chainsaw and now you need our chain."
But I think most chainsaw companies sold their own chain.

I believe that it was McCulloch specifically developed. So totally different ball game, more like "hey you bought our chainsaw and now you need our chain."
But I think most chainsaw companies sold their own chain.
Ahhh.... Reminds of Glock and their .45 GAP ammo. Another failed idea, haha.

About 2 yrs.ago I had my 1st experience with .354 chain.Up till then I'd never heard of .354.I took the saw to my local saw shop where I bought the 10-10 for $20 & asked the owner what the problem was.He told me that I needed to change my sprocket which was .354 to a .375 (3/8).He told me there were a lot of old timers who refused to spend the money & change the sprocket & they continued to ruin the 3/8 chain.Needless to say the sprocket & chain ate each other up.

The 12, 18, and 24 fin flywheels from LH start saws are interchangeable. The flywheels from the RH start saws are smaller in diameter and have the polarity of the magnetic fields reversed from the LH start saws....but you already knew that if you followed Poge's lead and looked at the old discussion.

Although the electronic and points ignition coils mount is a slightly different position, the timing is correct with and LH flywheel.

Mark

Thanks guy , I just was wondering about a physical fitment issue that I might have missed somewhere.
Even though its like living in an oven right now in South Carolina I was thinking about swapping the 12 fin flywheel on the 800 for a 24 fin , the header wrap helped pretty good with the overall heat from the massive muffler but the starter housing still gets wicked hot.
I remember reading something about the crank shaft length being different between some of the 82cc saws and didn't want to mess anything up.
I cut a few oak logs up this evening and it was running stronger, feels like things are mating up well.

A little, or perhaps big, McCulloch action today. A friend from church was having a large ash tree taken down by a crew with a boom truck and I agreed to cut and split the wood and find homes for it. Yesterday afternoon/evening was the majority of the limbs, they knocked the big stem down about dark so I went back this morning to buck up the logs and get them out of the way so the crew could finish cleaning up. The SP125 was sure sweet.

IMG_1562.jpg

This is perhaps 1/3 of the wood from the tree.

20200801_191532.jpg

Mark

Ron may step in and correct me, but I think the flywheels themselves interchange. The PM800 saws (800, 805, Super 850, DE80, and perhaps the PM8200) all have the wider flywheel housing which may be necessary to accommodate the longer fins on the 18 fin flywheel. The 12 fin and 24 fin are always 1:1 interchangeable and it is not uncommon to find the 12 fin on saws that should be 24. The 24 fin were used on the PM850 and some PM10-10S models, there may have been others like some PM700 and maybe the PM4300 saws.

For better cooling and to insure fit and function, look for a 24 fin.

Mark

Ron may step in and correct me, but I think the flywheels themselves interchange. The PM800 saws (800, 805, Super 850, DE80, and perhaps the PM8200) all have the wider flywheel housing which may be necessary to accommodate the longer fins on the 18 fin flywheel. The 12 fin and 24 fin are always 1:1 interchangeable and it is not uncommon to find the 12 fin on saws that should be 24. The 24 fin were used on the PM850 and some PM10-10S models, there may have been others like some PM700 and maybe the PM4300 saws.

For better cooling and to insure fit and function, look for a 24 fin.

Mark
As long as I don't find any interference with it I'm gonna swap it out and see if that pushes a little more air through the starter housing.
I'll post my findings, I think I have a temp gun somewhere?

Okay. The answer is it depends. All three flywheels should fit on the 800 and newer 82cc MACs, but only the 12 and 24 will interchange on the older MACs. This is due to the 18 fin have a much greater fin height. The cranks on the new saws are actually shorter in length to accommodate the increased fin height. I haven't calculated the fin surface area, but if that is what counts I would venture to say the 18 moves as much or more as the 24. If it were my saw I would try to locate an 18.

12 18 24

IMG_5340.JPG
IMG_5341.JPGIMG_5343.JPG

Older crank at the top. Newer crank at the bottom. About 3/8" difference.
IMG_2885.JPG

Ron

Okay. The answer is it depends. All three flywheels should fit on the 800 and newer 82cc MACs, but only the 12 and 24 will interchange on the older MACs. This is due to the 18 fin have a much greater fin height. The cranks on the new saws are actually shorter in length to accommodate the increased fin height. I haven't calculated the fin surface area, but if that is what counts I would venture to say the 18 moves as much or more as the 24. If it were my saw I would try to locate an 18.

12 18 24

View attachment 846059
View attachment 846060View attachment 846061

Older crank at the top. Newer crank at the bottom. About 3/8" difference.
View attachment 846062

Ron
I'll look tomorrow at what ive got under there . Thanks Ron .

Because my brain won't leave me alone once I get started on something, I did a little measuring and a little math comparing the 18 and the 24. Too tired to measure all of the fins and just eyeballed their widths to conclude they were the same. As you can imagine the fins are close on each but not identical. I measured 9 of the 18 - they ranged from .915" to .954". I made six measurements on the 24 (two fins at once so each measurement is actually a close average of two fins) - they ranged from .597" to .6575". Short to short, the 18 is 153% greater. Tall to tall, it is 145%. Short 18 to tall 24, is 139%. A 24 has 133% more fins. So in theory the 18 has roughly 6 to 20% more surface area than the 24. Your mileage may vary.

Ron

Latest posts

Back