McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just wiped that Pro 10-10 down after looking it over. It amazes me there are still so many saws out there that were clearly shelfed after so little use. There is virtually no sawdust in the cylinder fins or around the clutch.
View attachment 873174View attachment 873175View attachment 873176View attachment 873177
I have an Echo EVL, I forget if it's the 650 or 550, that is so clean, I'm sure the owner probably ran one can of mix through it, then switched over to straight gas. Not s speck of grime on it, clean fins on the head, and, unlike most of my EVL's it has good spark. Pulled the muffler and it has a steak down the piston looks like you hit it with a grinder.

Trying to get a look at the piston on the 7-10 I got a couple weeks ago. There are two hex head screws on the muffler. Took them out, one was loose and just fell out. Took the cover and baffle off. The rest of the muffler appears to slide over the two "tubes" that the screws, screw into. Are those tubes screwed into the block? It looks like one side of the muffler will just slide off, but the other side started to bend when I tried to pry on it. Hit it with some blaster and will try to get some better light on it so I can see what's going on?

Trying to get a look at the piston on the 7-10 I got a couple weeks ago. There are two hex head screws on the muffler. Took them out, one was loose and just fell out. Took the cover and baffle off. The rest of the muffler appears to slide over the two "tubes" that the screws, screw into. Are those tubes screwed into the block? It looks like one side of the muffler will just slide off, but the other side started to bend when I tried to pry on it. Hit it with some blaster and will try to get some better light on it so I can see what's going on?

The exhaust port is at the bottom you got screws underneath to get off. It's usually easiest to strip the tank and shroud off it. The shroud really needs to come off anyway

Yeah I’ve ran into a few where it’s obvious someone peeled the shroud back to look at the piston and bent the S out of it. If I see one like that I immediately assume it’s toasted piston.

Usually I just remove the bottom part of the handle (3 bolts) and the starter and that gives enough wiggle room to get the muffler off

To be honest, I'm not really sure yet if I came out a winner or a loser on this one... You guys tell me lol. There's a mix of good and bad going on here with the G-70.
Met the seller at a busy parking lot this morning. Nice guy. Saw felt and looked alright from what I was able to discern, though the compression feels a bit weaker than I imagine it should be. There's probably some scoring on the piston.
One issue is that the air filter cover was on really tight and I had nothing with me to assist in unscrewing it, so I couldn't check what was under there until I got back home.
Funny side note though about conducting business in a busy parking lot... Had a small group of women who were chatting by their cars stare at me with highly concerned looks on their faces as I walked back through the parking lot to my car carrying a McCulloch Monster. :laugh:

Anyway...
The good: Has great spark and runs off of a prime. Surprisingly little magnesium rot going on despite having been obviously left out in the rain. Bar and chain look like they will clean up nicely. Tillotson Carb?(Is this a good thing or is the SDC better?)
The bad: Worn out air filter is never a good sign, I suspect some piston scoring because of that. Cracked fuel tank where it looks like the handle screw was tightened too much. Saw was left out in the rain, though I suspect this was recent; carb area was soaked with condensation and water squirted out of the pull rope mechanism while pulling it. Looks like something melted a hole in the flywheel cover screen.
G70_1.jpg
G70_2.jpg
Anyone happen to have an IPL pdf for this?

G70_3.jpg
G70_4.jpg
G70_5.jpg
G70_6.jpg
What's up with the pieces of foam wedged into the spot by the bar studs here?
G70_8.jpg
G70_9.jpg
G70_10.jpg
Any idea what the make of this bar is? Chain almost looks barely used. Not sure if this is 1/2 or .404 yet, haven't done the measurements.
G70_barNchain.jpg

To be honest, I'm not really sure yet if I came out a winner or a loser on this one.
Funny side note though about conducting business in a busy parking lot... Had a small group of women who were chatting by their cars stare at me with highly concerned looks on their faces as I walked back through the parking lot to my car carrying a McCulloch Monster. :laugh:
Tillotson Carb?(Is this a good thing or is the SDC better?)
What's up with the pieces of foam wedged into the spot by the bar studs here?
View attachment 873411

Any idea what the make of this bar is? Chain almost looks barely used. Not sure if this is 1/2 or .404 yet, haven't done the measurements.
View attachment 873414
In order, Winner! Try walking around with axes, everyone has an “axe man” or “axe murderer” comment or joke. Never heard of a 10-series with a Tilly so idk. The foam bits wedged in there sounds weird, but all I see in the pic is oily sawdust cakes. That bar is a Gen-u-ine Mac bar I think, as the number/letter setup is the same as on my 32 inch Mac-branded hard nose bar. Finally, that’s 3/8 or .404, probably .404. Half inch makes 3/8 look like 1/4 inch chain. Finally, looks like someone modified an 056 big dawg to fit on there, that looks pretty slick in my opinion.

Bett
In order, Winner! Try walking around with axes, everyone has an “axe man” or “axe murderer” comment or joke. Never heard of a 10-series with a Tilly so idk. The foam bits wedged in there sounds weird, but all I see in the pic is oily sawdust cakes. That bar is a Gen-u-ine Mac bar I think, as the number/letter setup is the same as on my 32 inch Mac-branded hard nose bar. Finally, that’s 3/8 or .404, probably .404. Half inch makes 3/8 look like 1/4 inch chain. Finally, looks like someone modified an 056 big dawg to fit on there, that looks pretty slick in my opinion.
Better yet, try walking through a swap meet with a hog cleaver you just bought in your hand. A mix of smiles and cringes were my reward. No fear as folks know what is generally for sale there.

Some more info on the bar and chain. I went and cleaned off some of the grime and saw that it has a Windsor tip, which appears to be .404 according to the info I'm finding. I think the gauge is .063.
I was really hoping that this saw would be set up for .404, as the entry for the G-70 on the acres site said that it came with 1/2" but .404 was optional.
My understanding is that 1/2" is hard and expensive to get, so if I actually wanted to run this semi-frequently it would need the .404 sprocket and bar setup.
G70_barNchain2.jpg
G70_barNchain3.jpg

Back