McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Several of the earlier 10 Series saws with the cube carburetors used an extension on the H and L needles rather than a boot connecting the needles to the air box. You can find this kind of arrangement on some 2-10 models, 5-10, 6-10 models, and it could be added to the saws if you made the factory swap from the bullfrog style tank bottom to the updated tank bottom to accept the cube carburetors.

This is a 6-10 with the extensions.

20210103_152942.jpg

This is a 4-10 with the updated tank bottom and the holes for the adjustment extensions plugged.

20210103_153216.jpg

This is the factory kit to switch from the bullfrog to the cube style carburetor. It even included the carburetor...notice the tank is equipped for the extensions but the kit includes the plugs, no extensions.

DSC03863.JPG

Ed - I think you just have to carefully engage the spring loaded extensions then work the carburetor over into the proper position. This will go a lot easier if the gasket below the carburetor is stuck to the insulator and the insulator is stuck to the air box/tank bottom so you don't have to try and align everything independently while getting the carburetor in the right spot.

Mark

As I have been sorting through the parts in the move, I found this. Does anyone have a clue as to what saw this may be referring to?

20201231_101510.jpg

The shape of the label and the layout of the adjustments appears to be a Mini Mac, but I can't figure out the 230 reference. Oh my, one more saw I need to find for the collection...

20180802_130138.jpg

Mark

As I have been sorting through the parts in the move, I found this. Does anyone have a clue as to what saw this may be referring to?

View attachment 879994

The shape of the label and the layout of the adjustments appears to be a Mini Mac, but I can't figure out the 230 reference. Oh my, one more saw I need to find for the collection...

View attachment 879997

Mark
Doing a quick google search brought a string trimmer head made for a super mac, and a super mac 100a. Both trimmers. Might be a good lead???

Mark
Don't know anything about it personally, but looking at this walbro carb kit reference page, it looks like there were a series of these. Not really turning up much on those with a search though...

Chain Saw Super Mac 210, 220, 230 & 240

https://www.dicarbparts.com/custom-...c-chain-saw-k1-mdc-carburetor-repair-kit.html

Finally got a couple tanks through the SP81 today. Nothing exciting just cleaning up a few large rounds and snipping the bottoms of a couple big logs after rolling over.

Runs amazing really happy and the diy AV is ok its not as nice as the 800 but still yeah nice. I'll back off the screws a bit more n see how it goes.

Anyway mostly Splitting today.20210104_145752.jpg20210104_145817.jpg.

Mongrel stuff to split eucalyptus stringy horrible stuff every single chunk of it and really heavy wood. But burns really well is definitely worth it to keep but not to sell.

The splitter is 15us a day from work lol and today gobbled 12L of gas.

Got more cutting at a mates in a few days and yup SP81 will be working hard

Finally got a couple tanks through the SP81 today. Nothing exciting just cleaning up a few large rounds and snipping the bottoms of a couple big logs after rolling over.

Runs amazing really happy and the diy AV is ok its not as nice as the 800 but still yeah nice. I'll back off the screws a bit more n see how it goes.

Anyway mostly Splitting today.View attachment 880101View attachment 880102.

Mongrel stuff to split eucalyptus stringy horrible stuff every single chunk of it and really heavy wood. But burns really well is definitely worth it to keep but not to sell.

Beautiful countryside, great pictures, thank you.

Anyway mostly Splitting today.View attachment 880101View attachment 880102.

Simply wonderful.

I won't resurrect this one, but hey, it's got a Mac guide bar and other parts.

View attachment 880159

View attachment 880160
View attachment 880161

Clutch, brake, oiler, fasteners, some good saw dust screan sectons maybe :) my first dead 10-10 gave a heap of parts. Screws are a real pain here in a metric land. 25 years ago hardware shops carried imperial stuff but not now. The older guys in shops tell me that anyway

Now that's funny.

I call it that to my mate too. "What you on about"???

Hi guys, new member here!
I recently picked up what appears to be a Mac 7-10 from the local online classifieds (tag says model: 600052B, serial: 12-17874).
I was expecting points, but instead it has electronic ignition (guess it was changed?), though with a flywheel similar to that on my 10-10 automatic. I adjusted the flywheel-lamination gap, changed the spark plug, and it sparks!
I've never had an electronic ignition Mac, but all online pics of these, e.g. PM700, appear to be fitted with 24-fin flywheels? Are the 12- and 24-fin flywheels freely interchangeable, particularly in combination with the electronic iginition module?

Any advice would be much appreciated!
I'm attaching a pic of my saw's current setup as well.

image3.jpeg

Jethro,your eucalyptus is like our Dutch elm here.Very stringy & hard as hell to split.You can't center a big log on a splitter,you have to peel it off one piece at a time.A regular PITA,Lol.

I recently picked up what appears to be a Mac 7-10 from the local online classifieds (tag says model: 600052B, serial: 12-17874).
I was expecting points, but instead it has electronic ignition (guess it was changed?), though with a flywheel similar to that on my 10-10 automatic. I adjusted the flywheel-lamination gap, changed the spark plug, and it sparks!
I've never had an electronic ignition Mac, but all online pics of these, e.g. PM700, appear to be fitted with 24-fin flywheels? Are the 12- and 24-fin flywheels freely interchangeable, particularly in combination with the electronic iginition module?

View attachment 880184

The flywheel is interchangeable. But I'm not sure if the ignition fits and I'm wondering if you have a 700 cylinder on it. I believe the tank handle isn't original either which of course doesn't matter at all. Ive never tried fitting a electronic coil to the points cylinder but I know the 10-10 cylinder mounts are quite different. Has yours been modified at all? Underneath i mean. Just out of curiosity does your crank have a points lobe? I have a pm10-10 with a lobe so it doesn't really mean much but just curious.

At the end of the day any well running 70cc Mac is a great saw :)

Also be sure to plug that hole for the rubber needle boot

Jethro,your eucalyptus is like our Dutch elm here.Very stringy & hard as hell to split.You can't center a big log on a splitter,you have to peel it off one piece at a time.A regular PITA,Lol.

Yes very similar. Sometimes its rather nice but not sure why. I had a dead standing gum once that split beautifully with an axe. Then I had another dead standing gum in the same location that the splitter wouldn't even touch its ruthless stuff. I had to cut it up with the saw and it ripped Teath off and generally was horrendous but burns ohhh so well

View attachment 880184
Id say if you got spark then give it a rip! If it doesnt run right then worry bout getting tbe flywheel changed. Im curious though if it does work. I cant say ive ever tried that combo. Welcome to the sight too. 7-10s are really good runners.

Latest posts

Back