McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been cleaning the case of the 7-10, getting ready to put it back together. When I get to the engine, I'm going to need a 9/64 hex head socket to torque the rod on. The only one I found was a McMaster-Carr for about 10 bucks. That's not bad, but I wouldn't mind getting a whole set, and the cheapest they have is $100. None of the other sets I've seen have a 9/64. Anyone know of a source?

Thanks, being my first total rebuild I wanted to torque every thing to spec. I have other friends that say they have never used a torque wrench on a 2 stroke. Two grunts and a grown on the old two stroke sleds, and one squeak and sigh on saws.

I was thinking about a total restore on this, but the more I clean, the more I find dinged. There are two fins broken on the air box cover and the housing over the bar adjustment screw is broken too. The adjuster seems to work OK. What are the big bolt head screw and smaller round head slot screw on this clutch cover. I see where they got through to the other side. Doesn't look like they do anything?
8rH4vjj.jpg

Thanks, being my first total rebuild I wanted to torque every thing to spec. I have other friends that say they have never used a torque wrench on a 2 stroke. Two grunts and a grown on the old two stroke sleds, and one squeak and sigh on saws.

I was thinking about a total restore on this, but the more I clean, the more I find dinged. There are two fins broken on the air box cover and the housing over the bar adjustment screw is broken too. The adjuster seems to work OK. What are the big bolt head screw and smaller round head slot screw on this clutch cover. I see where they got through to the other side. Doesn't look like they do anything?
8rH4vjj.jpg

That's a brake cover that's been gutted out.

Don't worry about the missing section it won't matter

Hello McCulloch enthusiasts. I recently got myself an old 7-10A. It starts readily and cuts hungrily, I like it, though of course its battered according to its age.
This model doesn't have any chain brake and has the short clutch cover that wouldn't accommodate a brake. So I am looking for a clutch cover and brake assy that fits (I think any 10-series might work).
Might even be similar to the one posted by @rarefish383 above.
So just throwing it out here if there's anyone that has such clutch cover+brake and is willing to part with it for a fair (?) price - and ship internationally, please let me know.

Thanks much in advance and wish you a lovely day!

Simon

Attachments

• 1612320638832.jpg
    1612320638832.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 19
Welcome, Simon. You came to the right place, I'm sure the parts are here somewhere. I check ebay every few days, if I see one cheap I'll send you a private message, the envelope at the top right of the page. If one comes up I'll buy it and ship it to you, I have paypal and Zelle for payment. If you don't want it, I'll just keep it for mine.

Thanks Joe, that's very kind of you! I'll also be looking and checking here to see. If you find one, then yes do let me know and Paypal would work I think. Cheers!

Hello McCulloch enthusiasts. I recently got myself an old 7-10A. It starts readily and cuts hungrily, I like it, though of course its battered according to its age.
This model doesn't have any chain brake and has the short clutch cover that wouldn't accommodate a brake. So I am looking for a clutch cover and brake assy that fits (I think any 10-series might work).
Might even be similar to the one posted by @rarefish383 above.
So just throwing it out here if there's anyone that has such clutch cover+brake and is willing to part with it for a fair (?) price - and ship internationally, please let me know.

Thanks much in advance and wish you a lovely day!

Simon
Boy id like to have that clutch cover! I really like those. Thats a very nice looking saw.

There were quite a few CP80DX saws sold in Japan that would have been equipped with the short clutch cover brake. You may be able to find one of those.

20170226_180703.jpg

There is another member in Japan that has a number of McCulloch saws including 10 Series. He is from Germany and his screen name is SEAM

Mark

I had a tragedy this week, working on my snow blower using my trolley mounted hoist and I knocked the BP-1 off the shelf. It landed on its side, caved in the tank, broke the fuel cap, and bent the handle.

20210203_112304.jpg

20210203_112308.jpg

20210203_113415.jpg

20210203_112314.jpg

Some of you may recall that I picked up some parts saws a while back...

20200327_180459.jpg

So I decided it was time to do something with these, I robbed the tank from the one that was frozen tight. I will try to glue the other tank back together and put one saw together (more or less) just to put up high on a shelf in the display area. The stuck one was very dirty, and had been setting long enough that the oil had polymerized and was almost as hard as concrete.

20210204_102923.jpg

Evidently this one had been run quite a bit with no air filter. This is what I found in the bottom of the balance cylinder...also set up like hard plastic.

20210204_102939.jpg

My runner is back together but needs some carburetor work as it flooded badly and fuel drips out of the throat. Maybe tomorrow if I can get the snow all moved and have any zip left.

Mark

There were quite a few CP80DX saws sold in Japan that would have been equipped with the short clutch cover brake. You may be able to find one of those.

View attachment 887590

There is another member in Japan that has a number of McCulloch saws including 10 Series. He is from Germany and his screen name is SEAM

Mark
Hi Mark, Wow, how do you even know this about the saws that were sold here? At that time, I probably wasn't even planned yet....Not that I doubt you. These days around here I see one CP70 and a few 2-10s for sale online but none with the clutch cover or brake. Will keep my eyes open and yes, maybe even reach out to the other local McCulloch collector from Germany...

Simon

Hi Mark, Wow, how do you even know this about the saws that were sold here? At that time, I probably wasn't even planned yet....Not that I doubt you. These days around here I see one CP70 and a few 2-10s for sale online but none with the clutch cover or brake. Will keep my eyes open and yes, maybe even reach out to the other local McCulloch collector from Germany...

Simon

My favourite cover too. I have plans to make 1 out of a long 1 but haven't gotten to it yet.

Lovely 7-10 you have. Very awesome saw probably up there with the best ever from mac I mean there's quite a few in that pile too but the 7-10 is in there

Got another McCulloch saw turn up today. For some reason they just keep find there way to my house, oh well I love it.

Apparently this McCulloch 250 had been sitting for about 10-15 yrs. Got it home, removed the muffler first just to make sure everything was ok. piston was very clean almost no marks. Gave it a quick clean, checked for spark, which was bright blue and put some fuel down it. 4th pull away it fired. I will have to clean out the fuel tank before I can put fuel in it but it does fire and run.
It even has the original McCulloch chain on it.

Cheers

Justin

Attachments

• IMG_20210205_193831_270.jpg
    IMG_20210205_193831_270.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20210205_193831_344.jpg
    IMG_20210205_193831_344.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20210205_193831_306.jpg
    IMG_20210205_193831_306.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 14