McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 10-10's are very nice 54cc saws with lots of torque and lots of life. The mufflers are notoriously loud so get some good hearing protection.

Older models did not have an automatic oiler, later models did. Since yours is a left hand start version I would guess that it has an automatic oiler but the only way to know for a fact would be to remove the cover from the oil tank on the front of the saw (only one screw) and see if there is a pump mechanism there.

If you'd like to have an IPL send me a PM with your e-mail address and I can send two, one with the automatic oil pump and one with out so you can compare.

NOTE: If you remove the cover from the oil tank, make sure it is empty, or that the saw is firmly held with the tank up so you don't dump bar oil all over the place.

Mark

Check the numbers on the bottom of the saw. If it is a 250 it is a late model with that short, black, squared off air filter cover. Most 250's have the longer cover that extends past the oil filler in the front of the saw and with nicely rounded edges all around and were all yellow.

That saw might be a 1-41 or later model in the 1-40 Series. Only the 1-45 and 1-46 have bearings in the piston end of the rod, the earlier ones are just bushings.

Mark

Check the numbers on the bottom of the saw. If it is a 250 it is a late model with that short, black, squared off air filter cover. Most 250's have the longer cover that extends past the oil filler in the front of the saw and with nicely rounded edges all around and were all yellow.

That saw might be a 1-41 or later model in the 1-40 Series. Only the 1-45 and 1-46 have bearings in the piston end of the rod, the earlier ones are just bushings.

Mark

I would like to check it out but its 2 hours away. I will call the guy and see what numbers are on it.

Yep them 10-10s is good LOUD saws.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mark, that 47 make it across the river O.K.?

Across the river all right, but not anywhere near home yet. I hope to get back tomorrow night.

I stopped by a small shop in Sioux City and picked up some other interesting items as well. I'll put up some photo's tomorrow if I'm able.

Mark

Thanks,

Be careful on the trip home.

Jerry

The 10-10's are very nice 54cc saws with lots of torque and lots of life. The mufflers are notoriously loud so get some good hearing protection.

Older models did not have an automatic oiler, later models did. Since yours is a left hand start version I would guess that it has an automatic oiler but the only way to know for a fact would be to remove the cover from the oil tank on the front of the saw (only one screw) and see if there is a pump mechanism there.

If you'd like to have an IPL send me a PM with your e-mail address and I can send two, one with the automatic oil pump and one with out so you can compare.

NOTE: If you remove the cover from the oil tank, make sure it is empty, or that the saw is firmly held with the tank up so you don't dump bar oil all over the place.

Mark

Thanks, I will pull that cover and look, do you know what rpm to set the saw at, I have it set at 11,000.

I don't often use my tach for tuning, do that mostly by ear. As long as you can lean it out a bit for more RPM I would expect that 11,000 RPM is acceptable. Better to err a little rich than too lean in any case.

Mark

I,m not that good at tuning yet so i use my tach, thanks for your help!

I,m not that good at tuning yet so i use my tach, thanks for your help!

What has helped my ear the most is videos. You can hear the four stroking a lot better on video. I depend on a tach as well, but most of these older saws are ment to be tuned in the cut from what I am gathering. So I try to get it to where I think it sounds good in the cut and video it and then you can tell real easy.

shed finds

I was helping out at an old farm today and came across 3 Mccullochs. 1 was a pm 610 not complete I have one already 1 was a model 47,big saw complete and a 555 complete saw. The farmer wasn't around today I am going to offer 50 bucks for the works. good deal? looks like they been sitting a while.

I was helping out at an old farm today and came across 3 Mccullochs. 1 was a pm 610 not complete I have one already 1 was a model 47,big saw complete and a 555 complete saw. The farmer wasn't around today I am going to offer 50 bucks for the works. good deal? looks like they been sitting a while.

That is a nice find. Did you check to see if they were locked up? You might also want to look at the undersides to check for malignant corrosion. It's kind of ironic, but if a saw was put away covered in bar oil & oil-soaked chips, instead of being spotlessly cleaned and then left for years, the dirty saw will end up looking a lot nicer once some elbow grease has been applied. Now, on the other hand, old mix left in a saw is a whole different scenario. :popcorn:

That is a nice find. Did you check to see if they were locked up? You might also want to look at the undersides to check for malignant corrosion. It's kind of ironic, but if a saw was put away covered in bar oil & oil-soaked chips, instead of being spotlessly cleaned and then left for years, the dirty saw will end up looking a lot nicer once some elbow grease has been applied. Now, on the other hand, old mix left in a saw is a whole different scenario. :popcorn:

I didnt pull them over. The more I thought about them the more I would like to get them and try to get them running. I hope to see the guy on Monday

mcculloch 1-41 carb problems.

It have a mcculloch 1-41 an i cant seem to get it to run right. I have to prime it in order to start it and flutter the choke to rap it out. When the saw gets warmed up the gas tank starts boiling even when i set it so rich that it 4 cycles. It doesn't ever idle at normal speed without dying and i have tried adjusting the high and low at 2 turns 1 and 3/4 turn like i read from another posting on this site as well as just trying to tune it in based on the saws functioning after minor adjusting. i cant figure it out. its like it isnt getting fuel at idle and like it is getting too much raped out. I have had the gaskets and diaphram replaced and the carb cleaned by a local saw shop but they couldn't figure out what possible cause there could be. please help. thanks

Tillotson HL or McCulloch carburetor?

Has anyone removed the welch plugs and checked/cleaned the internal passages? What about removing the needles (H & L) and cleaning the passages?

You say diaphragms & gaskets have been replaces, what about the metering needle & seat? Lever height?

Fuel line & fuel filter? Are the fitting tight & hoses clamped?

We need more information.

Mark

Made a 2 1/2 hour round trip after work today to pick this little baby up. I've been looking for one of these little monsters for awhile.

A McCulloch 2-10. 54cc's of pure McCulloch grunt in a small package... wearing a 20" bar. Kid I bought it from started it up for me on the second pull... :)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I'm pretty happy with the condition it's in since it was made in the mid 60's.

Gary

Latest posts

Back