McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting saw Justin, never seen one like that either, but looks solid!

I also got a new arrival last week :D

View attachment 892163
View attachment 892164
View attachment 892165

Its got a smaller muffler than the DE80, and I noticed that the previous owner (or someone) inserted two thin rectangular metal plates behind the cracked outer one.
I found an IPL online, which shows only two plates bolted to the muffler body: a sort of raised outer one, and only one below (same shape). Is this a common "fix", guess the originals got cracked and broken? What do you guys think?
Remove any homemade or broken reed flap and let that saw breathe!! The muffler reeds often crack over time and frankly the saw will run better without them.

20210222_045658.jpg

The original points box was a forest of nightmares and the condenser was swollen with corrosion. So in went a chip and a flywheel with all the blades20210221_135530.jpgthis was also the first side oiler I had gotten also. I literally did nothing to it , except bag it for installation. Probably should have cleaned it better?

20210222_152700.jpg20210222_045710.jpg20210222_045702.jpg

When I originally bought my PM800 motor the owner also gave me a model airplane project motor which was an 850 or sp81 motor that i used with the original oil tank. Like Kevin I came into an LRB piston , and like him I concur that it is bad, the casting is awful looking and I had to reuse my old piston pin bearings an the skirts hit the crank throws. Beggars can't be choosers though so I did some clearancing on the inside of the skirts and pressed the old bearings home.

That thing is beautiful well done. How long have you had this project on the go?
Ed and I got them around the same time , but I needed a few parts to button up the build.
I originally almost bought both the saws when they were for sale but while I was thinking about it the one with the good motor sold, unbeknownst to me that was Ed's.

So i scored a good one this week. I saw a mcculloch engine on ebay. Listed as a 10-10s, 555 or 55. However it had an impulse fitting and fron t upper av on it. I thought to myself....is this 70cc or 60cc or 82cc? After studying the pictures better the exhaust mounts were horizontal on the saw. It was 82cc. At a asking price of $59.99. I couldnt hit buy now fast enough. Well it arrived today. After getting a 5-10 together, i decided to see what mess i got. Rather gunky as usual and upon taking it apart i found a pretty bad piston. Kinda like the one in the above photos with a lot of scoring and seized rings. So i looked in the cylinder and it surprisingly survived very well. Very little issues!!! Its not marked either so its a "B" cylinder. With some new seals and piston ill have a great 82cc engine awaiting a saw to go in!!! I love spare parts.

I wiil say that I don't know if it is because of the motor being a decomp or if the thick rings of the replacement piston are the reason but this motor could hold 3 saws by the pull cord ! If I don't hit the decomp when starting it'll definitely snatch that handle from you.

As I anxiously await the final box of parts for my Super 250 to arrive I am cleaning parts, making gaskets, and preparing for the rebuild. This brings a couple questions for me. I have resurrected a bunch of these large frame saws but I have never totally rebuilt one. I have done a bunch of 10 series. How do you guys install the piston and crank? I know the trick of using grease to hold the needle bearings and obviously the piston and rod have to go in before the crank but do you put the needles in the con rod before pressing the crank in or after? I am afraid of scattering needles all over the garage.
Next question. I have NOS rings, my current piston is usable but I have an NOS piston on the way I would like to use. How does one press out this wrist pin with the closed bearing? Just press it through and ruin the bearing? How about going back together? Does the NOS piston come with bearings? If I have to buy bearings I'm just gonna re ring my current piston.

On the rings, there are 2 different rings, which is top and which is bottom? One ring is chrome.
Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

As I anxiously await the final box of parts for my Super 250 to arrive I am cleaning parts, making gaskets, and preparing for the rebuild. This brings a couple questions for me. I have resurrected a bunch of these large frame saws but I have never totally rebuilt one. I have done a bunch of 10 series. How do you guys install the piston and crank? I know the trick of using grease to hold the needle bearings and obviously the piston and rod have to go in before the crank but do you put the needles in the con rod before pressing the crank in or after? I am afraid of scattering needles all over the garage.
Next question. I have NOS rings, my current piston is usable but I have an NOS piston on the way I would like to use. How does one press out this wrist pin with the closed bearing? Just press it through and ruin the bearing? How about going back together? Does the NOS piston come with bearings? If I have to buy bearings I'm just gonna re ring my current piston.

On the rings, there are 2 different rings, which is top and which is bottom? One ring is chrome.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Yes, just press it through. My NOS piston came with bearings, but yours might not. They are readily available, generic bearings so even if you have to get new ones it shouldn't be too expensive. I just got a new set of rings, the slightly rounded (Chrome?) ring is the upper ring, the squared off (steel) ring is the lower one.

Back