McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw this old pic of a SP81 (I assume) bucking up a redwood and figured you guys might appreciate it. A SP81 with a full wrap and a H and S spike is my last remaining bucket list saw, but I've got more than a few other things that are more important than getting one of those.
https://oldphotoguy.com/img/s/v-3/p889738856-4.jpg
Years ago I gave a SP81E project to Chainsawman XX. I never heard what, if anything, he did with it. Mark H. confirmed a recent sighting of XX at the Iowa GTG. You might want to reach out to XX to see if you can land the SP81E.

Ron

Good to see you are keeping the world in balance. I was afraid that I might have gotten ahead of you.

Ron

Haha I think you cut alot more than me :)
I've got a fair bit coming up there's quite a few dead standing bluegums around on the farm that need to come down. Also some big piles that were pushed up to burn so I've said no way I'll cut that up.

Then the nabour has learned of my addiction and has also put in a request for tree time :) so yeah it's looking good for wood chips in my neck of the woods

Hi guys, I've been snooping around online for a replacement piston & rings for my PM700 frankensaw. Per previous suggestions, I've checked out ebay (found one seller, rockcrusher402, with a few NOS pistons, then some older 70cc full-skirt types and oversize windowed ones) and LRB. I've signed up for LRB's website for a quote, just to get an idea, but under international shipping in the "select country" drop-down there was only USA, so I'm probably doing something wrong, or perhaps they're on ebay too?

I recently found a Greek online shop, Agroparts.gr, that lists PM700 replacement piston kits (piston, rings & pin; no bearings though). As manufacturer, they cite themselves ... Does anyone here have experience/knowledge of these pistons?

pm700-piston.jpeg
https://agroparts.gr/p/agroparts-657/
They've got a few other 10-series bits as well, including a PM700 cylinder with black oil tank :)envy: seems they got the wrong manufacturer though ...)

pm700-cyl.jpeg

Hi guys, I've been snooping around online for a replacement piston & rings for my PM700 frankensaw. Per previous suggestions, I've checked out ebay (found one seller, rockcrusher402, with a few NOS pistons, then some older 70cc full-skirt types and oversize windowed ones) and LRB. I've signed up for LRB's website for a quote, just to get an idea, but under international shipping in the "select country" drop-down there was only USA, so I'm probably doing something wrong, or perhaps they're on ebay too?

I recently found a Greek online shop, Agroparts.gr, that lists PM700 replacement piston kits (piston, rings & pin; no bearings though). As manufacturer, they cite themselves ... Does anyone here have experience/knowledge of these pistons?

View attachment 903545
https://agroparts.gr/p/agroparts-657/
They've got a few other 10-series bits as well, including a PM700 cylinder with black oil tank :)envy: seems they got the wrong manufacturer though ...)

View attachment 903546

I'm curious if that cylinder is aftermarket. I suspect its a OEM im sure we would hear by now if aftermarket stuff was out other than the LRB pistons

I bought this one for 25 USD, thinking it was as the cover says- a rare CP70. Meanwhile I think that I was fooled, or I bought what I THOUGHT was a CP70. Looking at the compression release, I realise it doesn't have the lever, but the 'normal' red compression release button. I guess that makes it at least a 70CC saw? Another give-away that the air filter cover wasn't original is that it is a left hand starter, but the CP as LH was the CPL I think....oh well.

You may also see that it has a pretty rough seal-job to fix a leaking tank. If the saw has compression and spark, I will try to fix the tank and otherwise try to restore this old gal here.

1619505443060.png

Any idea what it might be? I will be checking the serial number as soon as I get it.

I bought this one for 25 USD, thinking it was as the cover says- a rare CP70. Meanwhile I think that I was fooled, or I bought what I THOUGHT was a CP70. Looking at the compression release, I realise it doesn't have the lever, but the 'normal' red compression release button. I guess that makes it at least a 70CC saw? Another give-away that the air filter cover wasn't original is that it is a left hand starter, but the CP as LH was the CPL I think....oh well.

You may also see that it has a pretty rough seal-job to fix a leaking tank. If the saw has compression and spark, I will try to fix the tank and otherwise try to restore this old gal here.

View attachment 903665

Any idea what it might be? I will be checking the serial number as soon as I get it.

Hard to know man. Could be any thing and the tag may not tell the truth either.

Vinny has put together a AV saw with a 7-10 engine and random AV bits he had gathered up. The whole 10-series can pretty much be lego'd together from parts or also busted parts too like it may have been a CP70 that had a toasted cylinder and a busted recoil and a broken tank/handle. All at once or 30 years apart.

So is it still a cp70? It is to the guy that repaired all that over the years.

I love these saws

Also the 57cc have a pop up dsp too

I'm curious if that cylinder is aftermarket. I suspect its a OEM im sure we would hear by now if aftermarket stuff was out other than the LRB pistons

Jethro, I agree with your assessment of the cylinder, just thought I'd post it because of the $$$ :) (and I've never seen one like this, new without any decomp bits or anything fitted). And that clearly the "manufacturer" labels are not necessarily accurate, as it also relates to the piston question.
As for the piston, I suspected that it might be LRB (certainly has a similar look to it), but was curious if anyone knew something about these, or the shop in general. Over here there's Meteor piston, but as far as I've been able to determine, they don't produce any 10-series parts.

Jethro, I agree with your assessment of the cylinder, just thought I'd post it because of the $$$ :) (and I've never seen one like this, new without any decomp bits or anything fitted). And that clearly the "manufacturer" labels are not necessarily accurate, as it also relates to the piston question.
As for the piston, I suspected that it might be LRB (certainly has a similar look to it), but was curious if anyone knew something about these, or the shop in general. Over here there's Meteor piston, but as far as I've been able to determine, they don't produce any 10-series parts.
Someone more knowledgeable than me can correct this, it is my understanding that Electrolux ended up with a piece of McCulloch which could explain the reference to Husky.

Ron

Husqvarna Outdoor Power Equipment owns the McCulloch name worldwide today. Husqvarna had the McCulloch name for Europe at the same time Jenn Feng acquired the McCulloch name for the rest of the world. I don't have my timeline handy but that was about 20 years ago. Husqvarna then bought the name for the rest of the world from Jenn Feng around 10+ years ago.

Mark

As Mark said. North American market I believe was everything except European market. Husky has it all now.

That 700 is likely from the two owner days.
Ron

Interesting guys! I've heard there was a Mac factory here in Italy at some stage, near Valmadrera, Lecco, but they made other models, no 10-series as far as I know. I have seen a couple of older 10-series that were made in Belgium, though, but that was long ago as I understand (i.e. no black oil tank ones).

I think I will order one of those piston kits from the Greek shop soon. Seems the only NOS regular PM700 pistons currently out there are a handful from a single seller on ebay, and with shipping it also becomes a pretty penny. I'd have to inspect and re-use my piston bearings, inspect the replacement part for potential defects, correct fitting etc. none of which I'm familiar with ... so I'll be along with questions :)

I'd have to inspect and re-use my piston bearings, inspect the replacement part for potential defects, correct fitting etc.

As others may also advise, some of the aftermarket piston kits have been known to have fitment issues with wrist pins.

There was an "Italian McCulloch Factory" but as I understand it, it was a partnership and not really a McCulloch establishment. The saws from the "Italian McCulloch Factory" would include the Titan models (7, 35, 40, 50, 57, 70) and the Double Eagle 50 which is the same as the Titan 50, products like the Power Mac 380, the Italian Pro Mac 60 (not the 10 Series model), Pro Mac 72, some little Pro Mac 435 and related saws, and a few bigger "pro Mac" models like a 560 and 620? or something along those lines.

I have a few more modern McCulloch saws in the attic that may have been Italy, or perhaps were part of the Jenn Feng experience but I just haven't gotten to them yet to know any more about them. A few actually look pretty interesting. If I remember later on I will try to put up a few photos of some saws you would likely never see before or again.

Mark

There was an "Italian McCulloch Factory" but as I understand it, it was a partnership and not really a McCulloch establishment. The saws from the "Italian McCulloch Factory" would include the Titan models (7, 35, 40, 50, 57, 70) and the Double Eagle 50 which is the same as the Titan 50, products like the Power Mac 380, the Italian Pro Mac 60 (not the 10 Series model), Pro Mac 72, some little Pro Mac 435 and related saws, and a few bigger "pro Mac" models like a 560 and 620? or something along those lines.

I have a few more modern McCulloch saws in the attic that may have been Italy, or perhaps were part of the Jenn Feng experience but I just haven't gotten to them yet to know any more about them. A few actually look pretty interesting. If I remember later on I will try to put up a few photos of some saws you would likely never see before or again.

Mark
There have been a few Titans and even a Power Mac 380 on CL near me recently, but none of 'em look like they're worth picking up.

I've heard there was a Mac factory here in Italy at some stage, near Valmadrera, Lecco, but they made other models, no 10-series as far as I know. I have seen a couple of older 10-series that were made in Belgium, though, but that was long ago as I understand (i.e. no black oil tank ones).

My Power Mac 380 is one of those Italian Mac's. 38cc,produced 1984-89. Apparantly there was 2 versions - first version produced 1984-86 had just 1 bar mounting stud,the later version produced 1986-89 had 2.
Mine was a gift from a fellow collector some years back,he got it for free,knew I was into Mac's (plus others also),sent it from NY state to me.Offered to send him postage costs but he said ''Its yours,have fun with it" Its in storage in garage at parents property,I cant remember which version it is right now,but will look next time I'm out there.Decent compression,all complete,nothing broken or missing,dont know anything else about it yet.

Latest posts

Back