McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally the rainy season is over here and I could move forward with the painting of the CP70 and 2-10A. It is powder coat and first time trying this, so while its not flawless its darn close and stronger than if I'd used rattle can paint. It is btw a tribo powder coating system, which is different from the corona system. The Rona system uses extremely high voltage, this one doesn't, either way it seems to work.

I'm using a matte black. For the CP70 its just one coat of matte black, for the airbox cover of the 2-10A its matte black and one coat of clear matte. Gives it a bit of texture. I am not sure what is closer to the original, I should have taken more 'before' photos before sanding off the old paint.

And the yellow, well I think it looks good, but it may be a tad too light (not enough red). It is a zinc yellow powder, which is RAL 1018, I believe the safety yellow McCulloch used (the lighter one) was RAL 1023. I can't get the exactly right yellow around here, so this will have to do.

Attachments

• IMG_20210712_122255.jpg
    IMG_20210712_122255.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 29
  • 1625915228488.jpg
    1625915228488.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 29
The 4-30 may have 5/16" bar studs so all you would need to do is make some kind of spacer to match the stud to the groove in the bar. You should be able to fine holes to line up with the bar adjust and the oiler as it is.

Mark
The 4-30 does have 5/16 studs but already has built in spacers at the base of the studs for the larger (3/8?) Slot in the bar. So it sounds like this should go right on there then. [emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Looks better all together...

Very nice. Some good lookin' firewood, too.

BTW, Sugar Creek Supply can make you a filter cover sticker should you decide to add one. I supplied him with the template and details to make one for my saw. Mine was basically the prototype and needed some trimming when I got it. Pretty decent job otherwise.

0206191618_resized.jpg
There are also some on ebay right now (including NOS versions of this one) that I'd personally go with just to ensure delivery in my lifetime. Joe at Sugar Creek can be pretty slow sometimes.

I probably will in the future, but I find the wrinkle finish paint that I used is definitely not sticker friendly. I'll have to repaint the center with something gloss.
I know the purgatory stories of Sugar Creek but to Joe's defense I ordered my 394xp and Homelite Super 1050A decals from them and they arrived within a month ,which all things considered seems pretty good.

I have been using Rustoleum 7220 fine textured black, it does a pretty good job of simulating the original texture on the later McCulloch products. The genuine krinkle stuff from the early saws looks good when it is intact but it doesn't seem to hold up very well. Often times it almost all comes off when you try to clean a saw with compressed air and even brand new cans of krinkle finish are suspect to spray properly.

Mark

Looks cool. What kind of black and yellow did you use for it?
John Deere saftey yellow from Ace hardware, and an engine valve cover paint for the black . The original application of the black was for Chrysler motors in the late 60s early 70s.
I usually give the paint a week to harden up but a few cycles of the South Carolina sunshine with a heat index of 107° is sufficient.

John Deere saftey yellow from Ace hardware, and an engine valve cover paint for the black . The original application of the black was for Chrysler motors in the late 60s early 70s.
I usually give the paint a week to harden up but a few cycles of the South Carolina sunshine with a heat index of 107° is sufficient.
As Heimann also mentions, baking the paint seems to strengthen it.

Same as with powder coating. I put it in for 20-30 mins at 180C / 350F. The part has to reach that temp for a certain time, not just the oven.

To make it really flawless one would need a sand blasting equipment, especially a cabinet. I don't have that so have to clean the parts as good as possible without it.

I also don't have an electric oven so you may think I am crazy but I am using my wood fired oven, after the fire is died and the heat is at the right level. Works well so far, and another excuse to make a fire.
The image shows the CP70 airbox cap. It is not on the oven floor but on a glass. Next to it are two home made post to concrete footer braces - I am powder coating the mild steel to avoid rusting. I had to coat 9 of them, so makes for good practice pieces.

Attachments

• 1626141236704.jpg
    1626141236704.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 15
Back