McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ooohhh man Ron your gonna have these guys slobbering!
Thats some excellent compression.
Other than my experimental saw and my now blown kart saw, I doubt I have any that top these two - which makes it hard to let go of them given it seems NOS pistons are gone. But I will never have time to run or wear out all the saws I have.

For the most part I enjoy using things and keep things I or someone close to me has used a lot. Everything else may be cool but they don't have the same appeal to me. If I could get my 101B SP125 fixed at a reasonable price, it and my spare 101B would be on the market as I will never use it. A day is coming when I will let go one or more of my SP125Cs. If I had a truly unique or rare saw that doesn't fit the first two categories, I would probably give it to Mark for his museum.

Ron

The black fuel tank makes it look more like a Double Eagle 80. Pull the AF cover off and let's have a look under the hood.

Mark
As promised, picture of the id tag on my recently acquired PM800. Hopefully you boys can decipher what the numbers mean & tell me what I have. I'm already assuming it could be a rare prototype experimental unit worth millions an I'll soon be able to retire....
ef7d7b26172b6baeb7189a9e6344a304.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Finally got the 70 cc piston from Greece today. I took some comparison pics. Can anyone tell wich is LRB?
Inquiring minds would like to know. How did the prices compare when you include shipping?

From my limited experience with LRB pistons I would say I am not overly enthusiastic.

Mark

Inquiring minds would like to know. How did the prices compare when you include shipping?

From my limited experience with LRB pistons I would say I am not overly enthusiastic.

Mark
It cost me $57, and it left their facility January 14th.
The machining quality is slightly better. The physical casting and amount of flash is pretty identical, like I would think that is who LRB is getting them from. The meterial itself is a lighter grey and seems to be a bit cleaner/ better quality!
Rings are the same dimensions. I haven't measured the pin yet.
Thanks Mark.

Can anyone tell wich is LRB?
I'm going with the one on the right, myself.

Thank you, Poge. I misspoke 12,300 to 12,500. Brian's 800 was turning 12,900 during our test. Sometime later it failed.
Those tests are what I was referring to. McCulloch wasn't in the habit of publishing max allowable top end specs until I ran across what seemed like a dealer spec/sales type data sheet in all the material I got from Joey some time back. (I've attached it for anyone else who may collect such trivia.) The only 82cc saw referenced is a PM8200 coming in at 12k running 32:1 while 11~11.5 seems to be the norm for everything else at 40:1. Maybe they gave a small edge to the more modern 3 piece crank in the 8200 for durability..., but only if you ran Mac mix oil at 32:1. LOL But as far as tuning goes, in and out of the wood is usually the safe bet where you can actually hear what the saw is doing and how it's behaving (regardless of what a tach may say) -- and usually pretty easy to tell when it's approaching a little too lean.

And since there's some spike discussion, I've also attached templates for the two main 10 series styles/types with the larger one being a modified large frame Stihl spike which came with my SP81. They should be at a direct 1:1 scale when printed at 100%/original size. I realize there are a couple other types, but these represent the two basic fastener spacings for the different covers.

Attachments

• Mac Setup Specs.pdf
    266.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Mac 10 Series Spike Templates.pdf
    104.2 KB · Views: 0
@clint53, @Xpropane and @Syncop8r, I have a PM800 and a PM805 pho with DSP and only one clutch cover between the two that I would part with.

800:
View attachment 967797View attachment 967798View attachment 967800
800 has a short rope so count on replacing it.

805:
View attachment 967801
View attachment 967802
805 DSP valve is missing the plastic top.
Pictures didn't turn out of the back of the saw: the beak over the sparkplug of the rear shroud is broken off - mostly cosmetic #216136. The upper screw on the same piece is stripped and the corresponding screw next to it on the flywheel cover is stripped.

Handles on both saws are straight and the saw dust covers are good.

Some more pictures in the next post. I am no longer pricing saws so if you are interested in either shoot me a PM and a bid. Shipping will be on your nickel.

Ron
PM sent

Back