McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brian Thacker
Hi guys, it's been some time since I've written here, but been checking in from time to time.
I saw this interesting Mac 10-10 auto window shopping in the local classifieds yesterday; it's got the yellow tank top & air filter cover, which I've seen online, never over here, but also a curious yellow starter cover...
Anyone seen one like this before?
It's also wearing a flat reed muffler.

View attachment 976472
View attachment 976473
I have one like that in very good condition. It was the one that started my collecting MACs.
Brian

vinnywv
Ive got a saw story to share. Win in the end....last week i got a mcculloch g70 off ebay. Been wanting one for a spell. It was buy it now for 150+ shipping. Looked a bit rough. However, i was not afraid of a bit of dirt. The seller stated good compression but no spark, non running. I figured it would be a junk cylinder and piston. I have 3, 7-10 saws that all run very good. So i bought it planning on an engine swap. Didnt realize it would not be as simple as id expected. So i started taking apart the g70. Nearly a complete saw. Missing bar plates was it. I got into it a bit and found gritty sap all over under in and out of this poor southern saw. Cleaned off fairly easily. But it was thick. The recoil was a bit weak. Opened it up to wind it a turn and found a broken ear on the pulley. Alas, i had a new one!! Win. The oil pump was missing the little disc. Had a spare there. Win. The fuel tank was absolutely disgusting. Thick corrosion top to bottom. Plus a few pin holes. No problem, the 7-10 is good ill use it. The cylinder had a massive gouge in it, "great compression".. yea right. The piston was toast. Air leak on fw seal. No problem ive got one. After complete dissassembly i had a box of dirty parts, but a 7-10 for help.....So i began taking the 7-10 apart at 430pm friday stopped at 10pm with a nearly complete new saw. The cylinder from the 7-10 donor was slightly different and needed some material removed from the pto bearing side. Belt sander and 45 minutes later it fit very well. I was very happy with that. Took my time there. Next came piston swap due to g70 crankshaft being very different. No big deal, one pin out one in and viola. Gooped up the surfaces and stuck it together. It turned nicely now. Then all the little bits followed. Now, the fit from a 7-10 that had a dsp on the stop button to the matching cylinder was a must. But it fit just fine, heck it just came off that saw. Then the big gear box...no issues really. It attaches to the oil tank not the cylinder so it was just figuring out what went where and in what order. Next, i cut a new oil tank gasket and had to test run it!!! It fired up on a few pulls and everything rotated as expected. Spent a bit getting a chain on it but boy it runs good. Borrowed bar plates from a 250, and a bar off a sp105 to test run it. The spur gear came off a 55 and it took a bit of cleanup to fit properly. Ill replace it with a new one. Already got it in the works. I cut out a crude oil pump gasket but ive got a good one also on its way. Plus a good handle bar from mark h. Ill post pictures in the next slide. But after 2 full days a taking apart, fitting, and putting back together....i now have a great running and functioning and clean mcculloch g70. Pictures to follow.....i posted this on another forum yesterday. I wanted to share a good story with you all as well.

vinnywv
Mcculloch made 3 ,10 series, 70cc gear drives. The g70 was the last one. The other 2 were lg-6, and 5-10g.
This one starts and runs just as good as a 7-10 does. The piston and cylinder are in great shape. Ive been watching for one for quite awhile. This one popped up and i bought it. Im pretty happy with it.

fossil
Nice example Jeff! They are one kick butt saw.

Now for my issue with the PM700 - the recoil is always at least one wrap loose which means you cannot get very many revolutions per pull. In the field, I can remove the outside cover and rewind the cord so that it almost tight, but after a few starts it is right back where it was before and then slowly gets longer and longer. This has been going on for several years. In the past I have taken the time to wind it several wraps so that it snaps back smartly, but then eventually it begins to rewind less and less. I am guessing that the spring must be slipping somehow, but I can't duplicate it with the flywheel cover off. I bet someone here has had the same issue and solved it.

Ron
Ron,

If you find the spring still hooked in to the cover, check for a broken spring somewhere in the wrap. Another think that could be causing that is an oily, dirty spring. The should be run dry or with some powdered graphite.
If it is dirty, you would have take the spring out (safety glasses) and clean it.

A gummed up or damaged pulley bushing wouldn't help either.

rwoods

rwoods

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Ron,

If you find the spring still hooked in to the cover, check for a broken spring somewhere in the wrap. Another think that could be causing that is an oily, dirty spring. The should be run dry or with some powdered graphite.
If it is dirty, you would have take the spring out (safety glasses) and clean it.

A gummed up or damaged pulley bushing wouldn't help either.
I'll check it out. If that is not it, then I'll take a look at Mark's suggestion.
Thanks, Ron

Maintenance supervisor

Maintenance supervisor

Every 100yrs, All new people...
. AS Supporting Member.
Interesting, Mark!
Seen one like that advertised here too, but it had a smooth black top and a sort of mesh attached over the one-piece starter cover. It also had the flat reed muffler, like my PM55.
I'm getting my normal type 10-10a ready for some garden work, gotta to wake up the neighours every so often.
Looks like I'll have to reseal the tank though; it sat overnight with gas, but still leaking. I've got some cork gasket material and Dirko, never done this.
I also picked up a new 16" roller nose bar for it. It's not a Speed Mac, seems newer, and it came with a set of springs. The sticker mentions PM10-10S/700/8200, but guess I should use them with my Mac 10-10 too?

View attachment 976625
View attachment 976626
Looks to be a homelite bar pattern, still works well with an adapter.

knightmax

knightmax

"Ya Don't Know What Ya Don't Know"
Ive got a saw story to share. Win in the end....last week i got a mcculloch g70 off ebay. Been wanting one for a spell. It was buy it now for 150+ shipping. Looked a bit rough. However, i was not afraid of a bit of dirt. The seller stated good compression but no spark, non running. I figured it would be a junk cylinder and piston. I have 3, 7-10 saws that all run very good. So i bought it planning on an engine swap. Didnt realize it would not be as simple as id expected. So i started taking apart the g70. Nearly a complete saw. Missing bar plates was it. I got into it a bit and found gritty sap all over under in and out of this poor southern saw. Cleaned off fairly easily. But it was thick. The recoil was a bit weak. Opened it up to wind it a turn and found a broken ear on the pulley. Alas, i had a new one!! Win. The oil pump was missing the little disc. Had a spare there. Win. The fuel tank was absolutely disgusting. Thick corrosion top to bottom. Plus a few pin holes. No problem, the 7-10 is good ill use it. The cylinder had a massive gouge in it, "great compression".. yea right. The piston was toast. Air leak on fw seal. No problem ive got one. After complete dissassembly i had a box of dirty parts, but a 7-10 for help.....So i began taking the 7-10 apart at 430pm friday stopped at 10pm with a nearly complete new saw. The cylinder from the 7-10 donor was slightly different and needed some material removed from the pto bearing side. Belt sander and 45 minutes later it fit very well. I was very happy with that. Took my time there. Next came piston swap due to g70 crankshaft being very different. No big deal, one pin out one in and viola. Gooped up the surfaces and stuck it together. It turned nicely now. Then all the little bits followed. Now, the fit from a 7-10 that had a dsp on the stop button to the matching cylinder was a must. But it fit just fine, heck it just came off that saw. Then the big gear box...no issues really. It attaches to the oil tank not the cylinder so it was just figuring out what went where and in what order. Next, i cut a new oil tank gasket and had to test run it!!! It fired up on a few pulls and everything rotated as expected. Spent a bit getting a chain on it but boy it runs good. Borrowed bar plates from a 250, and a bar off a sp105 to test run it. The spur gear came off a 55 and it took a bit of cleanup to fit properly. Ill replace it with a new one. Already got it in the works. I cut out a crude oil pump gasket but ive got a good one also on its way. Plus a good handle bar from mark h. Ill post pictures in the next slide. But after 2 full days a taking apart, fitting, and putting back together....i now have a great running and functioning and clean mcculloch g70. Pictures to follow.....i posted this on another forum yesterday. I wanted to share a good story with you all as well.
I lOVE the stories!!!

clint53
Now some dissasembly and the ending results. The big bar came off my sp105. Its just for a test fit and run. It came with a bow bar. Now it has a 24 inch hardnose on it. Looks and runs just as it should. Thanks for following along. It was fun. Anxious to test it out.
View attachment 976677View attachment 976678View attachment 976681View attachment 976683View attachment 976684
Great resurrection Vinny.
That tank reminded me of a 10-10s I got off MP.
I cleaned it with the Dremel with a cone shaped wire wheel.
I had to walk away twice and find some patience.

Jeffrey F.

Jeffrey F.

Making Metal and Wood Chips
AS Supporting Member
Thanks for responding, that's good to know. You should post your eBay sellers info. I'd rather buy from and support a member here.

Some eBay sellers do make die cut gaskets. I bought some labeled as such for my 3200 - real nice gaskets.

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk
Dies for die cut gasket’s are so expensive it’s very hard to believe that someone on eBay would be selling diecut unless OEM or made in China. I was tool and die for 42 years. You would have to cut one hell of alot of gaskets and sell them to recoup the cost. Not only the dies but the press to put them in. Not arguing just saying. Here’s one of my Pro Mac 10-10 gaskets

Attachments

• B3006A3F-B1AF-43E5-A915-400518BCFCB1.jpeg
    B3006A3F-B1AF-43E5-A915-400518BCFCB1.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 5
Marvin Booysen

Marvin Booysen

ArboristSite Member
Love the G-70, Vinny, it's a mean looking saw! :surprised3:

Looks to be a homelite bar pattern, still works well with an adapter.
@Maintenance supervisor, I don't know Homelite bars, but this one's got McCulloch stamped on the tail. The hole pattern does seem different from my Speed Mac & Mac 10 bars though, will compare when I'm back to my saws. It was probably intended for newer Macs, but some later 10 series saws (PM10-10S/700/8200) are mentioned on a sticker (spacer springs to be installed).
I see the pictures in my post were rotated for some reason; here's the tail stamp detail and sticker on box.

image1 (2).jpeg
image0 (2).jpeg

Latest posts