McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@ Woodslasher Thank you for your reply, gives me direction. Are you able to advise what needs to be modified, and best procedure to modify?

Matt - There were a number of the front tank saws that did not have the "3rd port" feature. This replacement block would be for a 1-41 or 1-51.

View attachment 982358

View attachment 982359

View attachment 982360

In addition, many of the early models did not have all three exhaust ports open. The D-30/36 and 1-40 were examples, as was the MAC15. This 1-41/51 does have all three exhaust ports open.

View attachment 982361

The Super Series engines did normally have the 3rd ports open and all three exhaust ports open. This replacement block is for a 1-71/81.

View attachment 982363

View attachment 982364

View attachment 982365

I'm sure that if you also studied the port timing, certain models like the Super 250, 1-75/85, and 797 have more aggressive timing numbers than many of the standard models.

Mark
Thanks Mark. Nice parts and pictures. What you have said is what I knew, I thought you might be seeing something else.

Most (all?) of the 80cc saws didn't have the third port, but it is very common in the 87cc+ (dual ball bearing) saws.

I wouldn't mind a couple if those 1-71/81 blocks!

scrivnw - I show three different part numbers for thick rings on the 70 cc saws, 63290, 85241, and 87166. If you know which ones you need I should be able to help with the supply as I have a few of each on hand at the moment.

Mark
The IPL for the 7-10a (600052D) shows the part number as 87166 for the wide ring set. The piston is 1.995” in diameter and the rings are 1.2mm thick.

Picked up a 250 today from a small engine shop for $25, I was told it was seized. Figured if nothing else it was a good parts saw everything pretty straight otherwise. Turns out a mouse had made a nest in the exhaust port and cylinder and that was it. Cleaned everything up put a plug in and fired right up on a prime. Now the issue is won’t pull fuel after firing on prime 7 or 8 times. Any quick tips on what I might check? Spray carb cleaner? Soak in sea foam? Thanks!

Also any tips on getting the nuts back on when reassembling the pull rope mechanism would be helpful, looks like at one time they were tacked onto the inside of the housing but 2 of the 3 fell out when I took apart. Now I have to figure out how to get em back in.

That saw should have a Tillotson HL carburetor, gaskets & diaphragms are DG5. If you need the fuel line from the tank to the carburetor I am bless with a large number of those parts.

For the starter, remove the flywheel housing and put it all back together, in the future if you need to service the starter just remove the whole flywheel housing...we all have learned that lesson along the way. You could try some hot glue to stick the nuts in place but I normally remove the whole cover.

If you don't have the David Lee / Mike Acres picture book of old saws you wouldn't know that those captive nuts were the bane of many chainsaw mechanics.

Mark

Hey everybody long time no see. Anyway anybody know where i can source a Tillotson HK19? I have a project with a 610 that im going to be doing but i want it to have a Tillotson HK19 on it.

North East Tennessee MAC Report

Another beautiful day in North East Tennessee, 60s to low 80s, I always like to start with the good part.

No new records, but two personal firsts today and myth busting (sort of) … I am getting ahead of the story so I will redirect to the day's beginning.

I was off to the range alone as Brian was entertaining company. I thought I would just be gathering logs, so I only took the PM 700 and an off-brand 60cc saw. I arrived a tad after 8:00 to find a freshly mowed area around the range’s equipment and mine. So trying to be a nice guy, I decided to move everything out of the way. Truck wouldn’t start. While the truck batteries were being charged, I moved the D7 only to find that I don’t know how to turn it off nor did anyone else at the range. A quick call to a friend took care of that embarrassment. Then the tractor that had been running minutes early refused to start. Long intro to 2 ½ hours later I am finally on the hill to collect logs.

There was more bucking to do than I recalled, but no real problem as I had two fully fueled saws ready to go. While bucking I noted a large fresh dead ash and a smaller red oak with a dead top. I decided to fell the red oak and leave the ash for another day when I had something with a longer bar.

700 ready to take on the red oak on the right.
IMG_6917-002.JPG

End log rolled while bucking, sticking the 700.
IMG_6920-001.JPG

Second log rolled, sticking the off-brand while I was hoping it would free the 700.
IMG_6924.JPG

Nothing the Deere can’t handle – famous last words - leading to Personal First #1 - Catastrophe – 700 remained stuck when log lifted and moved. I finally freed it only to have oil streaming out of it. I tried to catch some with the off-brand which had been freed in an earlier attempt. Too late, not a drop left in the 700. This can’t be good. And it wasn’t. I waited until I got home to inspect it closed. In the woods all you could see was oil and dirt.

Clutch cover okay except for a broken adjuster screw.
IMG_6929.JPG

700’s crankcase is spit all the way to the crankshaft.
IMG_6931.JPG

A fin is broken off cylinder.
IMG_6937.JPG

I don’t know if further exam will be an autopsy (RIP 700) or lead to corrective surgery.

Personal First #2 – adding insult to injury - I picked up the off-brand to finish bucking the red oak and felt something wet and warm going down my leg. Yes, I forgot to put the oil cap back on it.

All of that for this pile of logs.
IMG_6926.JPG

I don’t know about you guys but I am beginning to see a trend – Brian and I have all kinds of misadventures, but the real carnage seems to happen when he isn’t there.

Wait, I almost forgot the myth busting and to answer the question on every sane person's mind as to why I didn’t just move the stem with my cant hook to free the saws. My cant hook was down the hill safely hiding in my pickup – no mistake or forgetfulness – it is currently useless.
IMG_6939.JPG

We have all heard of the mythological guy who could break an anvil – I believe he actually exists.

Be safe,

Ron

North East Tennessee MAC Report

Another beautiful day in North East Tennessee, 60s to low 80s, I always like to start with the good part.

No new records, but two personal firsts today and myth busting (sort of) … I am getting ahead of the story so I will redirect to the day's beginning.

I was off to the range alone as Brian was entertaining company. I thought I would just be gathering logs, so I only took the PM 700 and an off-brand 60cc saw. I arrived a tad after 8:00 to find a freshly mowed area around the range’s equipment and mine. So trying to be a nice guy, I decided to move everything out of the way. Truck wouldn’t start. While the truck batteries were being charged, I moved the D7 only to find that I don’t know how to turn it off nor did anyone else at the range. A quick call to a friend took care of that embarrassment. Then the tractor that had been running minutes early refused to start. Long intro to 2 ½ hours later I am finally on the hill to collect logs.

There was more bucking to do than I recalled, but no real problem as I had two fully fueled saws ready to go. While bucking I noted a large fresh dead ash and a smaller red oak with a dead top. I decided to fell the red oak and leave the ash for another day when I had something with a longer bar.

700 ready to take on the red oak on the right.
View attachment 983218

End log rolled while bucking, sticking the 700.
View attachment 983219

Second log rolled, sticking the off-brand while I was hoping it would free the 700.
View attachment 983220

Nothing the Deere can’t handle – famous last words - leading to Personal First #1 - Catastrophe – 700 remained stuck when log lifted and moved. I finally freed it only to have oil streaming out of it. I tried to catch some with the off-brand which had been freed in an earlier attempt. Too late, not a drop left in the 700. This can’t be good. And it wasn’t. I waited until I got home to inspect it closed. In the woods all you could see was oil and dirt.

Clutch cover okay except for a broken adjuster screw.
View attachment 983221

700’s crankcase is spit all the way to the crankshaft.
View attachment 983222

A fin is broken off cylinder.
View attachment 983223

I don’t know if further exam will be an autopsy (RIP 700) or lead to corrective surgery.

Personal First #2 – adding insult to injury - I picked up the off-brand to finish bucking the red oak and felt something wet and warm going down my leg. Yes, I forgot to put the oil cap back on it.

All of that for this pile of logs.
View attachment 983224

I don’t know about you guys but I am beginning to see a trend – Brian and I have all kinds of misadventures, but the real carnage seems to happen when he isn’t there.

Wait, I almost forgot the myth busting and to answer the question on every sane person's mind as to why I didn’t just move the stem with my cant hook to free the saws. My cant hook was down the hill safely hiding in my pickup – no mistake or forgetfulness – it is currently useless.
View attachment 983225

We have all heard of the mythological guy who could break an anvil – I believe he actually exists.

Be safe,

Ron

I know none of it went to plan but man it's written beautifully.

Hopefully the 700 will live again. I'm sure it will

Your story telling is brilliant Ron

Latest posts

Back