McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd like to switch mine over to a Tilly Carb,but those HL63s are as scarce as hen's teeth.
You would need the adapter plate too. I've switched a few of them over. I've also blocked the primer off on a couple flatbacks and just prime from a squirt bottle

I find the flatbacks to be pretty good and prefer to run them over HL63s where I can. I would like to convert all of the primer type ones I have to choke type though. Wouldn't be too hard if there was a source of suitable choke plates and shafts.

Tonight's exploits involved JB welding the cracked oil tank on my otherwise great running early model 7-10 and then sorting out a wonky ignition on my 5-10. I ended up swapping out every part including the flywheel before I got it to function reliably.
Took that one out and made a couple cuts with it and tuned it a bit. This one is tough because the air filter and lid make a much bigger difference in the tuning than theu do on my 10-10 or my PM55. I need to tune quite lean to compensate for it. I think I have it running fairly well now.
I think that pretty much wraps up my back burner projects for now aside from sharpening a few and swapping some.bars and chains.

I put a watch on Feebay for an HL63 a couple of days ago & lo & behold one came up today for $35,which I thought was quite reasonable.Now as far as the adapter plate goes.....where do I find one?
Ed, I commented on your Facebook post, I will check my parts pile tonight and see if I have any extra adapter plates. They may have all found homes in other saws.
I will typically buy a whole parts saw just to get HL, the adapter plate, and the throttle and choke linkages. Usually costs less than buying parts individually.

Must've been real Mac country down where you're at Max.Up here in N.Y.there's nothing like that around.
Lots of folks know me. Word has got out over the years. I drove 400miles round trip north for these lol. I tell everyone I meet in my businesses "BTW I collect old yellow Mac saws" sometimes I hit pay dirt.

On a side note: many say the DE 80 and the 8200 are the rarest of the 82cc saws. But in my experience the 805s are harder to find. I would be curious what others here think about that?

CP80 DX is very difficult to find here in North America.

The PM850 Super is also pretty hard to find.

I think the DE80 and PM8200 were produced in much lower numbers making them harder to find.

Mark
Never seen the CP80 DX in person. I have seen the 850 Super. Funny, I don't know why but i never think of these saws when I think 10 series 82cc. If I ever run across a CP80 DX your museum has first chance at it Mark. I don't know why but I run into like a dozen of the DE80s and 4-5 8200s compared to one 805. Just my weird luck I guess lol. The PM 800 seems to be the most common 82cc to stumble across around here, with the SP81 second. And for the record I gravitate to the PM850s the most personally as my favorite of the lot.

Max

If you got some extra cash burnin' a hole in your pocket and always wanted a PM700 NIB...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/175333353603
unrelated, not sure what I'm looking at here with this coil (on top with the two red wires)? model 600002F
got it like this, nothing on the other end of the wires, don't see anything in the IPL for that model that would indicate what that is
coil from electric start saw?
Resized_20220628_220435_2760.jpeg

It looks to me like someone added a pick up, perhaps to run a tachometer or maybe they were trying an alternative points replacement system.

Never say never with McCulloch....but I have never seen anything like that and I have handled a few McCulloch saws & parts.

The resistor on the electric start models occupies that spot.

20190711_123618_001.jpg

Mark

It looks to me like someone added a pick up, perhaps to run a tachometer or maybe they were trying an alternative points replacement system.

Never say never with McCulloch....but I have never seen anything like that and I have handled a few McCulloch saws & parts.

The resistor on the electric start models occupies that spot.

View attachment 1000014

Mark

I figured if anyone would know it'd be you, so now we've got a mystery on our hands!
At first glance it didn't look like it was a hack job (i know, the picture makes it look kinda ugly) so now I'm legitimately curious if I found some sort of unicorn. Not expecting, but kind of hoping. :)

It's got a silicon coating (i think, it's got that rubbery feel) with what seems to be a fabric wrap underneath it. If someone did that by hand, bravo. I'll try to get a couple more shots but there's nothing to see really without peeling the layers off. I want to open it out of curiosity, but also don't want to rip it apart if it's something factory.

Latest posts

Back