McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SM is Speed Mac which was their handle for semi-chisel cutters. SP is Super Pro for chisel, SPR for round ground and SPS for square ground but they only offered the square ground in a few select sizes.

1669598883718.png

The drum is a 7 tooth .354 fixed rim type that in other places McCulloch called Speed Mac or Super Mac.

1669599173715.png

Obviously your chain was 058 but it has been run with little oil and that has worn both the drive links and the bar groove.

Mark

I have a 10-10, and a 10-10 Automatic, and other than the colour of the tops, don't know, but would appreciate knowing, the differences between the standard 10-10, the Automatic, and the Pro.

Attachments

• Mac 10-10 lh_sm.jpg
    Mac 10-10 lh_sm.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Mac 10-10_rh_sm.jpg
    Mac 10-10_rh_sm.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 0
I have a 10-10, and a 10-10 Automatic, and other than the colour of the tops, don't know, but would appreciate knowing, the differences between the standard 10-10, the Automatic, and the Pro.

The old 10-10's had a manual oiler only. Have a look through the oil fill cap to see there is an oil pump there.

SM is Speed Mac which was their handle for semi-chisel cutters. SP is Super Pro for chisel, SPR for round ground and SPS for square ground but they only offered the square ground in a few select sizes.

View attachment 1035663

The drum is a 7 tooth .354 fixed rim type that in other places McCulloch called Speed Mac or Super Mac.

View attachment 1035666

Obviously your chain was 058 but it has been run with little oil and that has worn both the drive links and the bar groove.

Mark
thank you for this info.

"Paint "is the short answer , but along the way starters changed sides ,ignitions went to electronic, air filters changed, oil pumps went from metal to plastic housings.
What rhyme or reason of dates is unknown to me.

excuse my ignorance but have no idea how or why you would use 2 different diameter files on each cutter. I'll look at the cutters more carefully and see if that makes sense.

Na makes sense when ya think about it. As the cutter is bigger at the new end vs the other end or halfway down

McCulloch says use 3/16 (5 mm) for the first half of the cutter, then 5/32 for the last half...

View attachment 1035792

I have a large supply of NOS McCulloch and other branded files in 3/16 if you need some to try.

Mark
I don't recall ever reading anything about it before, but around 30 years ago, I got some used chains to use for cutting up dirty logs from shash piles. I noticed that, even though different people had filed the chains, the person(s) filing the chains had cut down into the links in many places on the chains. After seeing that, and thinking that those links had weakened the chain, I decided to start filing my chains by stepping the size of the file down to achieve the same profile on the cutter, as well as, to avoid cutting into links and weakening them.
I found that the worn chain that was filed this way, cut better than the worn chain sharpened with the larger file, so I have been filing that way ever since.

Not those 3 no. Not until the 10-10S they went to 57cc
Until a few years ago, all I had, was D30, D45, and some saws in the 1-40 (70 cc) category. It was pure luck, that I found the two 10-10 saws I now have. I have not used them in anger, because I have to do a little maintenance work on both saws.
I have to bend a new tab on one of the rewind springs, and I need to clean up the 10-10 automatic, it was really dirty when I acquired it. It has compression, but I don't want to risk any damage to the saw because of contamination. Even though they quite a bit heavier than my daily driver Shindaiwa saws, I am looking forward to playing with them.

Until a few years ago, all I had, was D30, D45, and some saws in the 1-40 (70 cc) category. It was pure luck, that I found the two 10-10 saws I now have. I have not used them in anger, because I have to do a little maintenance work on both saws.
I have to bend a new tab on one of the rewind springs, and I need to clean up the 10-10 automatic, it was really dirty when I acquired it. It has compression, but I don't want to risk any damage to the saw because of contamination. Even though they quite a bit heavier than my daily driver Shindaiwa saws, I am looking forward to playing with them.

Good old saws. I tried to daily my 10-10 last weekend but the vibration killed me after a couple tanks. Never noticed it before:(

Good old saws. I tried to daily my 10-10 last weekend but the vibration killed me after a couple tanks. Never noticed it before:(
I am not under any illusions. I was planning to wrap the handle with the insulation that is put on hot water pipes. I have used this technique on motorized hedge trimmers, with great success. No matter what, I promised my self that I was going to do some cutting with them.

Latest posts

Back