McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My friend snagged me a Mac at a auction it is a PM 555 don't know much about it. Is the champion J19LM plug the right one for it? that is what is in it.
Has gobs of compression and runs very well i know the manual oil pump works but unsure about the automatic pump. It has the wrong bar and chain i will have to dig one up the rim is shot and the recoil needs the spring tightened or the rope is too long.
I'm going to fix all the problems and check out everything.
20230511_112627.jpg20230511_112646.jpg20230511_112653.jpg20230511_112702.jpg

My friend snagged me a Mac at a auction it is a PM 555 don't know much about it. Is the champion J19LM plug the right one for it? that is what is in it.
Has gobs of compression and runs very well i know the manual oil pump works but unsure about the automatic pump. It has the wrong bar and chain i will have to dig one up the rim is shot and the recoil needs the spring tightened or the rope is too long.
I'm going to fix all the problems and check out everything.
View attachment 1081978View attachment 1081979View attachment 1081980View attachment 1081981
Add on "chain's on backwards" to the list of problems.

Nice saw. J19lm is a lawnmower plug. Not correct. Takes marks advice. The 555 was the predecessor of the 10-10s. Same saw justa bit lighter. 57cc. Pretty good runners to say the least. Pm55 was first, then pm555, last was 10-10s. For rigid saws of that series. Seemed the casting was lighter than the 10-10s. Have fun with it.

The PM 555 manual oil pump works but the automatic pump doesn't oil. Is there anything i should look at?

Pull the pump out and squirt brake clean or degreaser into the two holes and keep working at the piston. You'll see it start to pump the juice of your choosing. Generally that will sus it out

I got the 300 series saw that I bought from Bob Kern today.I went through it briefly & got it to fire on a prime.The compression seems a bit on the low side,but I bought it mainly as a "parts saw".I put fuel in the tank & got nothing & found out that the fuel line is pretty much shot,no filter on it & it won't even hold one.Lots of good parts.Thanks Bob! (I especially liked the customized choke lever,Lol)

Access to the automatic pumps on the later 10 Series saws is all through the oil tank cover and involves only one screw and on many saws the spring clip that helps clamp the pump in place. There were a few early models that used three screws to fix the automatic pump in place, those would require access to the to top of the oil tank which would mean pulling the fuel tank off.

One screw

DSCN5974.JPG

Three screw oil tank on the left.

DSC04053.JPG

Mark

Back