McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As of 2 hrs ago, I may be selling it. Found a 98 with 60,000 less miles that mama likes. She does the cookin so if she likes it here ina few I imagine we'll be driving it home.
I brought a 99 with a 6.5 back to life last summer
3/4 ton 4x4 no rust was looked after till it was abandoned.
good power i sent the computer to a shop in the states that makes them right.
It is our road trip rig for now.I have a few straight bodys i'd like to get back on the road too.

Is there an "easy way" to put a new oil line in a 10-10?
Nope. In my experience it's not difficult, just time consuming. I've always felt that if you're that deep into it, it's pointless to not take the time to clean up everything. Plus (IMO) you may find you're opening a whole new can of worms.

Nope. In my experience it's not difficult, just time consuming. I've always felt that if you're that deep into it, it's pointless to not take the time to clean up everything. Plus (IMO) you may find you're opening a whole new can of worms.
I'm swapping parts off a Super 10-10 short block onto a newer low hr.short block.No can of worms here.

The 1-70 looks better now, ready to move into the display. My son Jeff was here again on Saturday and did the lion's share of the cleaning.

20230520_152029.jpg

20230520_152036.jpg

20230520_152049.jpg

20230520_152109.jpg

Old timers had to do what they could to keep the old saws going in spite of a few broken parts.

20230520_152119.jpg

I didn't want to put fuel in the tank just to dump it out again so I could put it on display but after cleaning the points..."runs on prime".

Mark

The 1-70 looks better now, ready to move into the display. My son Jeff was here again on Saturday and did the lion's share of the cleaning.

View attachment 1084362

View attachment 1084363

View attachment 1084364

View attachment 1084365

Old timers had to do what they could to keep the old saws going in spite of a few broken parts.

View attachment 1084368

I didn't want to put fuel in the tank just to dump it out again so I could put it on display but after cleaning the points..."runs on prime".

Mark
Looks great Mark.

View attachment 1084368

Not just old timers (although I'm getting there fast).

I installed a similar band-aid on my daughter's front bumper cover during spring break as a temporary fix until she comes home from college for the summer. It was the easiest and most secure way to connect the broken portion back to the part that was still attached to the car. Still using bungee cords for support, but they are secondary now instead of primary.

OK guys.
20230523_163307.jpg20230523_163321.jpg20230523_163339.jpg20230523_163416.jpg
So an old boy got wind of someone into Mac's and he's dropped this off to get running. He's had it 63 years. Hasn't ran in 30 or 40. Don't believe anything is wrong per say but needs a little love. Air cleaner so far

He was 18 when he got it.

I know nothing about these big girls so will be fun. I may need some help :)

But yeah was a cool yarn with the guy and I'd really love to get it running for him.

It never had a muffler cover the whole time he used it😳

Has plenty compression

In other news I just scored this for 60us
20230523_172936.jpg20230523_172943.jpg
Pretty gutted the bottom brace is busted and it's been left somewhere nasty but good parts if nothing else.

Is this Mac chain?
20230523_172950.jpg
Edit...

Forget that chain question I was staring at it (with no glasses) and saw its sabre chain. I thought hmm kinda looks like sabre chain and then.... cool though it lasts well that old sabre chain

Nice score there. It can be repaired.
The big ol saw 1-70/1-80....nearly identical to the one mark just cleaned up. But its a saw. Points and plug and carb kit. If its got compression itll run. You can do it.

It certainly could be repaired. Spose I should do it justice and get it running

I'll get to that 170 first. What's the go with an air filter? Are they rocking horse poo? Snake toe nails? Or even just regular old hen's teeth?

I cut some air filters from a piece of felt, 5-3/8" x 5-1/8" with a hole directly in the center, very easy to duplicate.

I get $35 for NOS filters and $25 for good used ones...plus shipping.

In case you haven't thought about it, the points and condenser are under that cover at the top/front of the flywheel cover. I was able to just clean the points on mine with fine emery paper, paper, and carburetor cleaner and it had spark after having set for more than 10 years. Carburetor is a Tillotson HL, kits are RK88 and should be readily available as they were used on many, many saws.

The 1-70 uses a large felt wick/fuel filter that could well be crusted up from years of setting. You may need to rinse it several times with mixed fuel or straight gasoline to try and revive it.

Mine turned out O.K.

20230520_152109.jpg

20230520_152049.jpg

The Sabre chain was not made by McCulloch. The Sabre brand was very common in the past. They even made some odd pitch chain like this .315.

20230116_130834.jpg

Mark

I have considered "felting " some wool and shaping it in to an air filter. It's naturally non flammable. Very durable and under a microscope,it is kinda barbed like Velcro so with a little felting is sticks to itself really well. If needed one could melt a hole though the finished product for a carb stud.

OK guys.
View attachment 1084675View attachment 1084676View attachment 1084677View attachment 1084678
So an old boy got wind of someone into Mac's and he's dropped this off to get running. He's had it 63 years. Hasn't ran in 30 or 40. Don't believe anything is wrong per say but needs a little love. Air cleaner so far

He was 18 when he got it.

I know nothing about these big girls so will be fun. I may need some help :)

But yeah was a cool yarn with the guy and I'd really love to get it running for him.

It never had a muffler cover the whole time he used it😳

Has plenty compression
So how's the old fella's hearing?

I cut some air filters from a piece of felt, 5-3/8" x 5-1/8" with a hole directly in the center, very easy to duplicate.

I get $35 for NOS filters and $25 for good used ones...plus shipping.

In case you haven't thought about it, the points and condenser are under that cover at the top/front of the flywheel cover. I was able to just clean the points on mine with fine emery paper, paper, and carburetor cleaner and it had spark after having set for more than 10 years. Carburetor is a Tillotson HL, kits are RK88 and should be readily available as they were used on many, many saws.

The 1-70 uses a large felt wick/fuel filter that could well be crusted up from years of setting. You may need to rinse it several times with mixed fuel or straight gasoline to try and revive it.

Mine turned out O.K.

View attachment 1084710

View attachment 1084711

The Sabre chain was not made by McCulloch. The Sabre brand was very common in the past. They even made some odd pitch chain like this .315.

View attachment 1084712

Mark

Mark thank you heaps for all that. Perfect really. I'll send ya a PM about filter:)

The chain yeah I glanced at it and saw the M and thought hmmm but yeah closer inspection saw the Sabre stamp

Whatever happened to that brand? Oregon snap them up?

So how's the old fella's hearing?

Ahhhh not good. Hearing aids. He hears fine with them in but yeah not good. No doubt lies in bed at night listening to them ring :(

And older guy at work refuses to wear ear plugs or muffs. "F#*K off" "my hearings fine" I constantly ask him where his plugs are.
I'm 35 and my ears slightly ring and I've warn plugs since 17 years old but still that odd time here n there and motorbikes as a kid bla bla.

I asked the grumpy old builder on a job site once at like 18 "Why you so grumpy?

"IF YOU HAD A 747 IN YOUR HEAD ALL DAY N ALL NIGHT YOU'D BE GRUMPY TO0!! NOW PISS OFF YA LITTLE F#@*&R"
those words stuck with me ever since.

Jethro,I see you (and a lot of other guys who cut wood) wearing ear protection.I have never worn ear protection & I worked around a lot of noisy machinery over the yrs.I know I have some hearing loss & should probably wear something protective.My dad had hearing loss,but I think it was due to an auto accident he was in as a kid.He was old school who believed in listening to the machinery.It has it's own "hum".My son listens to music when he cuts the grass.That's all fine & well,but if a belt begins to slip he won't hear it.Hearing loss can be hereditary too.

Yeah music and machines are bad.

I often wear plugs and muffs with certain saws (usually Mac's)
Ya turn it off and there's ringing n that's damage.

Once used to it ya can actually hear machinery better. All the small noises that are normally drowned out.

My right ear has some high pitch loss and I'm convinced it's the high whistle of an angle grinder fan. Always using grinders

I'd imagine in the coming years we will see a new wave of hearing loss due to music stuffed in our ears all day as apposed to machines. I hate them damn ear bud majiggys.

I've played drums and bass in bands for years, probably why I now have a constant ringing in one ear. My van is pretty noisy too.

@Jethro 2t sniffer if you're getting anything from Mark do you want to combine shipping with my order (when I get around to confirming it)?
Could save you some coin.

I've played drums and bass in bands for years, probably why I now have a constant ringing in one ear. My van is pretty noisy too.

@Jethro 2t sniffer if you're getting anything from Mark do you want to combine shipping with my order (when I get around to confirming it)?
Could save you some coin.

I didn't know you played instruments how cool😎

That's not a bad idea :)

Back