McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally got started on the PM610 build.I put a new crank seal on the PTO side since that one is the most fifficult to replace once the saw is together.I got the oil tank on (thanks Steve for those bolts!),the oil pump,the flywheel,rear handle assembly & the intake insulators,& the exhaust shield.I also got the rear ignition plate on with a new switch.Digging through 3 different bags of hardware is a real pain,but I'm getting there.I gotta find the coil bolts & that'll be done.The only things left to put on are the cylinder jacket,clutch assembly,chain brake,recoil & fan housing,muffler,skid plate,front handle,& the carb.A lot of members here & on the other forum contributed to this build.I've been amassing parts for about 5 yrs.now.Here's a pic of it just getting started with the engine & oil tank.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 0
Yes Ed, SKF 6119 is 110260 but I think you already discovered that.

On my bench today, I started with the one in rougher condition.

20230720_103348.jpg

20230720_105052.jpg

PTO side seal was wrecked.

20230720_130421.jpg

There's really only one way to do this and be assured of success.

20230720_133525.jpg

The carburetor was a wreck as well, I think Vinny mentioned diaphragms that were as stiff as woodpecker lips...

20230720_145430.jpg

But all's well that ends well.

20230720_171714.jpg

And to be perfectly clear, both the automatic and manual oilers work...

20230720_160651.jpg

Mark

I went and pulled off the McCulloch engine from the kart and I found out that it is actually a McCulloch 895 engine. Whoever made the kart also made a pull starter mechanism for it because the 895 chainsaws had their pull cord on the right hand side they also modified the clutch to have a sprocket on it but you can still see the original sprocket for the chainsaw chain. I will probably post some pictures of what I found in the engine. Its definitely seized probably from sitting I can still see some crosshatching on the cylinder suprisingly but the cylinder does have rust on it. It is sitting in vinegar right now I find it works pretty good. If I do get it running I might put it on a bike or something.

I didn't get much done on the 610 build today.I got home at 1:00 from a dr.appointment & messed with 2 green & black saws first.I had to hunt up bolts for the coil on the 610 & muffler gasket,bolts,washers,& screws for the skid plate.I did manage to get the air gap set on the coil & the muffler & skid plate are on.The clutch,front handle,carb,& recoil are all that's left.I hope to finish it tomorrow.

The second one went a lot better Ed. Carburetor kit and tend to the automatic oil pump (there was a bit of debris under the "piston ring" causing it to set cockeyed and binding in the brass eyelet. Cleared it out and the automatic oiler pumps as it should. Another carburetor kit was required as were fuel line, fuel filter, and the oil line with the stiffener spring.

20230721_080311.jpg

20230721_080625.jpg

20230721_090831.jpg

20230721_082937_068.jpg

I will try to get them on the way back on Monday.

Mark

It's getting more & more difficult for me to tend to the fine details on saws due to my eye problem(s).I went to the eye dr.today & I can only read down 3 lines with my left eye,so I'm pretty much working with one eye & that one isn't the best either.I'll continue to do what I can though as I really enjoy bringing a saw back to life again.I;m not prejudice as to what color they are either,but I tend to lean toward the yellow..I'd also like to say thanks to everyone for helping me out with their vast amount of knowledge.

It's getting more & more difficult for me to tend to the fine details on saws due to my eye problem(s).I went to the eye dr.today & I can only read down 3 lines with my left eye,so I'm pretty much working with one eye & that one isn't the best either.I'll continue to do what I can though as I really enjoy bringing a saw back to life again.I;m not prejudice as to what color they are either,but I tend to lean toward the yellow..I'd also like to say thanks to everyone for helping me out with their vast amount of knowledge.
I feel ya on the eyes. Hang in there. And yes I can't say enough about the crew on here and the help they give.

I tell ya man, I have always had eagle eyesight. I am early 40's and lately my reading vision has failed me fast. Two eye doctors have told me it's normal but man the change has been alarming. I am sure this is minor compared to your problems but you have my sympathy.

I've got a triple whammy going on - retinitis pigmentosa (that took my peripheral,or side vision from me,I only have about 10 degrees left),macular degeneration (which takes away my central vision),& glaucoma.I had to give up driving over 30 yrs.ago for fear of getting into an accident & taking a life.The rest I've dealt with over the yrs.as it slowly progressed.Maybe this is why I ask for a little extra help moreso than others here,& as I've said,I greatly appreciate it.I just take one day at a time.Sorry,I know this is way off topic of chainsaw repairs.

I've got a triple whammy going on - retinitis pigmentosa (that took my peripheral,or side vision from me,I only have about 10 degrees left),macular degeneration (which takes away my central vision),& glaucoma.I had to give up driving over 30 yrs.ago for fear of getting into an accident & taking a life.The rest I've dealt with over the yrs.as it slowly progressed.Maybe this is why I ask for a little extra help moreso than others here,& as I've said,I greatly appreciate it.I just take one day at a time.Sorry,I know this is way off topic of chainsaw repairs.
🙏🙏🙏🙏 going thru that now Macular Degeneration. Had macula stripped out about 15 yrs ago with a vitrectomy now have to have it done again but other eye ! Prayers your way

Still important brother!!! Keep swinging!

What length are you looking for? I have a bar or three for those saws floating around that I'd be happy to send your way.
Any but let's make sure I can get it running currently I have no spark lol but I work a ton so gonna be a few days till I can get back to it. @ray benson sent me some info and ipl. I need to remove the muffler so I can inspect the piston. 🤞 It's not toast

Had some time to play with the 1-61again and finally got the flywheel off. Man, that sucker was tight. You can see my two pullers I made in the pic. The one made from barstock worked after a second revision. PB Blaster didn't do a damn thing. Should have tried kroil, maybe. Now on to the clutch, but it seems the bolts are a different size.
Take a look at the.oil around the crank spindle. Would you say that looks like the crank seal is leaking? I suspect this thing has been blowing oil out of every seal like an English motorcycle.
Interesting, I have to pull the flywheel on my 1-72 to check the points i have no spark 😕

I almost got the 610 finished today.I ran into a problem with the new fuel line not wanting to fit into the fuel tank.I had to drill it out so the line would fit & it fits snugly.So,today I got the clutch assembly on,the new fuel line in,recoil on,the front handle on (that was another story.I went to put the handle on & saw that whoever owned the saw it was on must've liked running the chain extremely loose & it came off several times & cut into the handle.I hope he was wearing Kevlar gloves.)& clutch cover/brake on,also put the manual oiler rod in..Only thing left to put on is the choke rod & carb.I got a late start,then the neighbor stopped by to chat for a while,then I got side tracked on a new green saw.

I mentioned (somewhere) that I'd been using a 1-86 lately to run in some chains I am trying to rescue. Rusty, dirty, rough all around, but run them a bit with lots of bar oil and the chains come out looking a lot better. Since my new test log it too big in diameter for most of the saws that pass through, the shop I noodled a couple of vertical cuts in both ends to give the shorter bars a chance.

20230722_113117.jpg

20230722_164200.jpg

24" bar and chain on there today, just walked right through it.

Mark

Interesting, I have to pull the flywheel on my 1-72 to check the points i have no spark 😕
You can see the tool I made, then go back a page or two to see the tool Mark made. His didn't deform the way mine did. I have several of those fender washers, so I thought about pulling out my little crackerbox welder and welding two of them together. The barstock tool worked after some more tinkering, but it's trash now. If I had modified my pullers arms to be narrower at the claw it would have worked the first time. And make sure you are ready when it let's go. Mine jumped a foot or more and luckily landed on the workbench. I have one busted fin and I bet that's what happened in the past.

Also, soak the spindle in some Kroil for a day or two.

Latest posts

Back