McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That and some BB's makes for a great tank cleaner. BB's are reusable. Shake and Bake !! 🤣
I thought I invented this technique when I was 14. I had a Honda Trail 70 with rust in the tank. I switched to "Reserve" way the hell out a skid road while deer hunting one time and plugged the fuel line. It was a long, long walk back to the truck.
I took the tank off and filled it with BB's, random nuts and bolts, and soapy water. Then I shook it until my arms about fell off. The tank was as shiny as a mirror inside.

Lol. I think she's complete and probably just needs a carb kit. Finally got the motor out after taking the idle screw out.
Mine just needs a carb kit too.
Unfortunately I have a few Macs that are waiting for a part or two, just need my bank balance to improve.

The 110 and later models normally had the Zama carburetor which is much more rebuildable than the Walbro MDC ones tend to be.

I made a face plate and some moveable arms that I can put in my small lathe and rotate the tanks slowly in either direction for an hour or so. I normally use a combination of BB's and small hex nuts to knock the scale loose. I tried a slurry once (BB's, nuts, silica sand, mineral spirits) and I won't make that mistake again.

20180224_162641.jpg

20180224_160435.jpg

On a few occasions it cleans the scale and white crust right down to the holes...but so far some tape and Red Kote has fixed all but one. In that worst case I had to mix up some JB Weld and carefully pour it through the filler hole then flow it into the proper position. Warming the JB and the tank material with a heat gun really improves the flow characteristics. It did make for a very good repair.

Mark

The 110 and later models normally had the Zama carburetor which is much more rebuildable than the Walbro MDC ones tend to be.

I made a face plate and some moveable arms that I can put in my small lathe and rotate the tanks slowly in either direction for an hour or so. I normally use a combination of BB's and small hex nuts to knock the scale loose. I tried a slurry once (BB's, nuts, silica sand, mineral spirits) and I won't make that mistake again.

View attachment 1100542

View attachment 1100543

On a few occasions it cleans the scale and white crust right down to the holes...but so far some tape and Red Kote has fixed all but one. In that worst case I had to mix up some JB Weld and carefully pour it through the filler hole then flow it into the proper position. Warming the JB and the tank material with a heat gun really improves the flow characteristics. It did make for a very good repair.

Mark
Love this!

View attachment 1100542

View attachment 1100543

Mark
Anyone try sandblast media specifically walnut hulls?
Love the lathe idea Mark.
Forgot to look at which carb it has.
Did get the deep clean done tho.

Couple leaners today so got the Jack's out.
20230729_112058.jpg20230729_112244.jpg
I forgot a standing picture:)
But anyway next 1 was easy enough to wedge 20230729_112159.jpg
Probably should have moved my other saws
20230729_112137.jpg
Last victim 20230729_112753.jpg
20230729_113606.jpg
Back cut and setup jack first. Probably should have done the same on the first bigger tree as I couldn't quite finish the back cut without messing up the chain.
20230729_113455.jpg
Also hadn't noticed I wasn't wearing my hard hat. It's lying on the ground. So excuse my bad language as I dicover this
20230729_114101.jpg
Not exactly a good video but thought I'd try

Oh and 2 tanks through the old 7-10. Runs like a charm :)

Couple leaners today so got the Jack's out.
View attachment 1100701View attachment 1100703
I forgot a standing picture:)
But anyway next 1 was easy enough to wedge View attachment 1100704
Probably should have moved my other saws
View attachment 1100705
Last victim View attachment 1100706
View attachment 1100708
Back cut and setup jack first. Probably should have done the same on the first bigger tree as I couldn't quite finish the back cut without messing up the chain.
View attachment 1100707
Also hadn't noticed I wasn't wearing my hard hat. It's lying on the ground. So excuse my bad language as I dicover this
View attachment 1100709
Not exactly a good video but thought I'd try

Oh and 2 tanks through the old 7-10. Runs like a charm :)

That's a good day any way you slice it!

I just usually fell the tree the way it's leaning,then it falls into another standing tree & I end up with a barber chair.,Lol.

Seems to me that I read somewhere that a guy ratchet strapped his fuel tank to the rear tire of his lawn tractor & had it filled with nuts 'n such.By the time he got done mowing the lawn the tank was shiny clean.

I'm gonna chip it because no spark coil tested out like 6.4 so should be good. If anyone interested for a parts saw probably 100$ plus the ride. Just sucks it's so clean. It has super thin rings. Never dealt with a Mac. I'm into Remington but I figured I try a different color 🤷

Well maybe I am getting carried away here. Bought a 1-50 and a ProMac 700 off a guy for $50/ea. Might be good wintertime projects.

Attachments

• IMG_20230729_095311867_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230729_095311867_HDR.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230729_095259427_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230729_095259427_HDR.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230729_095249431_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230729_095249431_HDR.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back