McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Different types of bow bar accessories may have different covers, don't worry about that too much.

Mark

After hefting this 640 around the garage a bit, I wouldn't be offended by a hand guard on the bow. The one on yours is about the sweetest I've seen. I'll keep my eye out in the online sales for even a simple one to at least give me the chance to realize I got lucky when using it.

[video=youtube;3tHKjD5eai8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tHKjD5eai8[/video]

Ok, I put all the pieces back on and put the 47 into a little thicker piece of wood. I still have a fuel flow issue and a small fuel leak in the line under the tank. I really pushed the saw in the wood and it barely noticed. I have another one that I will try to get going in the near future. I also remembered to put in the ear plugs this time.

Last edited:
After hefting this 640 around the garage a bit, I wouldn't be offended by a hand guard on the bow. The one on yours is about the sweetest I've seen. I'll keep my eye out in the online sales for even a simple one to at least give me the chance to realize I got lucky when using it.

I have seen two typical types of bar guards during the era of this saw. A cast aluminum one with a place for a handle - I think Mark H. has one as does my 1-60 - and a steel one that is very similar to the modern extruded aluminum types. IMO both have a critical flaw and that is the gap between the front of the saw and the guard. This gap is how I got my hand in the chain when I was in my twenties (cast aluminum style) and it is how my dad got his thumb in the chain when I was 10 or so (steel style). As a result of my father's injury, McCulloch sent him a two piece guard that allowed you to remove with your swrench the lower portion to access the oil plug. I still remember how impressed I was with the workmanship of this guard; I don't know if it was a one off piece made by MAC for goodwill or whether they produced others as it is the only one I have ever seen. If you are not going for authencity, I would look for a modern aluminum guard and make it work. Whether you put one on the bottom is personal preference as the older bows do not expose your leg to harm as much as the drop down style of some modern bows. As you can see by comparing bows (narrow clearing bows mounted on the center line excepted), there is a decision point of whether you put the operator's arm or leg at the most risk. If I used a bow with any regularity or at all in the bush, I would put guards top and bottom as you do not cut with either at these points and this provides you with the greatest protection.

Be careful and enjoy ths old saw. Ron

Last edited:
=== This gap is how I got my hand in the chain when I was in my twenties (cast aluminum style) and it is how my dad got his thumb in the chain when I was 10 or so (steel style). ===If you are not going for authencity, I would look for a modern aluminum guard and make it work. Whether you put one on the bottom is personal preference ===
I'm not as concerned with the lower, but I'd take it. I spent the $100 on the chainsaw proof (riiight) chaps and the Peltor G413B combo headset (good deal on these, by the way, at usaindustrialsupply.com - $35 shipped) I'm all about getting second chances when the unforseen happens. a hand guard would go a long way towards making me feel better. I view this stuff the same way I view health insurance; It's silly to have unless you need it.

Power Mac 6

With all the threads and posts on bow saws, I guess I have gotten a little nostalgic. The first saw I was ever let loose with was the Power Mac 6. I see them on eBay quite regularily. I know Mini Macs are hated due to difficulty in servicing. Is the same true of a Power Mac 6? Is access to carb and fuel lines a problem? How about availability of carb kits, lines, points and other maintenance items? Thanks, Ron

I'm not as concerned with the lower, but I'd take it. I spent the $100 on the chainsaw proof (riiight) chaps and the Peltor G413B combo headset (good deal on these, by the way, at usaindustrialsupply.com - $35 shipped) I'm all about getting second chances when the unforseen happens. a hand guard would go a long way towards making me feel better. I view this stuff the same way I view health insurance; It's silly to have unless you need it.
Don't they have it in yellow?

Mystery MAC

I have been bugging a friend at work about an old MAC he has in his shed. I have never seen it but he knows I have been tinkering with saws and we talk about it on breaks in stuff. He is finally bringing it in tomorrow (after about a year and a half!). He doesn't know what it is be has described it as :censored: huge. He said "why do you want me to bring it in?" I said "So I can ask the AS guys what it is and then give you crap for not fixing it!"

I have been bugging a friend at work about an old MAC he has in his shed. I have never seen it but he knows I have been tinkering with saws and we talk about it on breaks in stuff. He is finally bringing it in tomorrow (after about a year and a half!). He doesn't know what it is be has described it as :censored: huge. He said "why do you want me to bring it in?" I said "So I can ask the AS guys what it is and then give you crap for not fixing it!"

Bring yo Camera
We all need to see.

Lee

Bring yo Camera
We all need to see.

Lee

Oh yeah, The way he describes the chain size makes me think it's a big one that I can really tease him about (especially since I KNOW you guys could coach him along). He has been to small engine repair school too so he really has NO excuse.

Spreading CAD is fun...:hmm3grin2orange:

Good enough!
On the Peltor, I appologize for possibly coming across as short when I meant to be humorous with the Krylon reference. One of those times when the sarcasm got lost in the non-face to face comm.... Anyhow, looking at the Peltor Website, these come in white and red (not so much red as hunter orange). The system is modular. The hardhat has rectangle things on the sides as lots of hardhats do. The hearing protection snaps into the side slots of the hard hat. The visor couples to the hearing protection mount. But separate pieces are crazy expensive. It looks like there are several off-brands of hard hat earmuffs. Similar models DO come in yellow.

usaindustrialsupply.com is an overstock company, and I didn't care if the things came in hot pink as long as they would provide protection and were a bargain.

On the Peltor, I appologize for possibly coming across as short when I meant to be humorous with the Krylon reference. One of those times when the sarcasm got lost in the non-face to face comm.... Anyhow, looking at the Peltor Website, these come in white and red (not so much red as hunter orange). The system is modular. The hardhat has rectangle things on the sides as lots of hardhats do. The hearing protection snaps into the side slots of the hard hat. The visor couples to the hearing protection mount. But separate pieces are crazy expensive. It looks like there are several off-brands of hard hat earmuffs. Similar models DO come in yellow.

usaindustrialsupply.com is an overstock company, and I didn't care if the things came in hot pink as long as they would provide protection and were a bargain.

I took it as humorous and got the point with the Krylon paint. I kinda like to add a little humor myself sometimes to make this more of a well-rounded forum.
Since most of us here on this post are Mac guys, I asked about the yellow..I wouldn't really care either about the color if a piece of safety equipment might save a life.

McCulloch 1010 ???

Talking with an ole timer that came in my office today as he has some snow damage and I need to go to his ranch and take some photos and in conversation I said " Got any old chainsaws laying around" ..he said yeh!! I said sweet!! I like to restore old metal saws. McCulloch 1010 is the model. What year? cc's, carb kit's still around. Any info on this model would be great and many thanks.

-Terry

Mac 47

Bring yo Camera
We all need to see.

Lee

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Well here it is! 77cc of Mac Muscle. That thing is a big ol' beast the only real Mac I have picked up and the biggest saw I have ever picked up. The bar is wider than my hand! It looks in very good shape, not bad corrosion or anything. Gas tank looks nice and clean on the inside like it was drained and put away proper. The bar and chain look to be the only real mess after being stored with the bar in the dirt by the previous owner.

Now I have to bug him enough to fix it! I told him I would get him some info on it.

Talking with an ole timer that came in my office today as he has some snow damage and I need to go to his ranch and take some photos and in conversation I said " Got any old chainsaws laying around" ..he said yeh!! I said sweet!! I like to restore old metal saws. McCulloch 1010 is the model. What year? cc's, carb kit's still around. Any info on this model would be great and many thanks.

-Terry

10-10's in one form or another were built for years starting around 1971. There were many variations, up to and including the 10-10s. Most were 54 cc, the 10-10s was 57 cc and built from 1982 - 1998. Most had the Walbro SDC carburetor and parts of all sorts are available.

Careful...

Mark

I have a question for the Mac guys in the know. I recently picked up a very clean great running Mac 1-60 geardrive with a .404 gear already on it. Now as far as I know this should be an 80cc saw, however when I was cleaning it up I noticed that it has a removable head. The paint on this is original as far as I can tell so it looks like it is all original. Is this normal? I have never seen one of the 80cc motors with the removable head, though i'm sure they existed the way Mac mixed and matched stuff. Can anyone tell me a bit more about this? Does this mean that the porting would be any different? Any help would be great.

Back