McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me either. Ash and Elm came in here Sunday morning. Ready to destroy it!!!

attachment.php

Here's a super post!

The Super 44 and Super 250 ready for tuning and public annoyance. I expect my name broadcast as a public offender over the 1380 WPHM towers winking in the background "I'm Bill Gilmer, on the Blue Water News Network, last night a local man..." he he he.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BA_E5xo_UmA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:rockn:

I was really hoping for news of a sheer pin and coupling, but...!

Upon further investigation....

I got a pair of channel locks fully expecting to yank the nut and a chunch of shaft out of the saw.

Instead, it appears what has happened is that someone, sometime, stripped the threads on the shaft, but not so much that I didn't feel resistance with my 1/2" ratchet handle (in other words, it felt like something was resisting even with a heavy wrench).

In a possible effort to make up for the fubared threads, the shaft is peened mushroomed slightly holding the nut on. Or maybe someone dropped the saw square on the shaft peening the end and the threads were stripped at a later time.

Sooo, splitting the nut may be in order. I pulled the gear cover so I have room.

Old stuff is bizarre, and this is no exception. The insides, chain, bar, sprocket and other things that would indicate use are almost like new. what little I can see of the cylinder looks fine. everything on the outside of the saw looks like crap. for some reason the bearings on the gearbox are marginal, at best. I suspect this saw was transported and stored poorly, but used very little.

At least it isn't as trashed as I thought it was last night.

Why not tap the crank stub for a bolt? JJ has talked about doing this many times. Need to have good aim and a steady hand when drilling. Just call me shaky.

Chris B.

Why not tap the crank stub for a bolt? JJ has talked about doing this many times. Need to have good aim and a steady hand when drilling. Just call me shaky.

Chris B.

That is a good idea. Sharp bit, some cutting oil, low rpms, wouldn't need to be a big bolt, #10-32 allen head...Could always replace it if "it" happens.

It has an idle governor or something, it is self blipping so it won't load up.
I find it annoying and will change out carbs on my Super 250.

Good Morning guys!

Yes, that's what I was showing with the closeup on the throttle fluttering at idle. That's as close to settled as I can get it. I played with the idle speed screw and the barrel spring for 30 minutes trying to tame it. I kinda like it, reminds me of a supercharged V8 that does the same at idle.

I am still playing with the spring tension on mine. I think I may have it to tight still, rather than racing like that sometimes it wants to get stuck in high idle. Cpr, maybe if you tighten the spring one notch it may even it out some?

Someone tell me the bar pattern for the SP125? Seems the Acres site does not have the info, Thanks!!

I don't know a mount number, but it is the same as nearly all the big ol' Macs. 1-40's, 1-50's, 1-70's, 200 series, 300 series, 795's 797's etc.

And that is the problem, I am in need of some measurements or "will fit" type answers. I have a picture of a bar with some numbers on it and with what the guy say's it was mounted on. But can't fill in the blanks.

Thanks

Customer put a old McCulloch Pro 610 on my desk and said here ya go. I looked in the bag and just seen dirt..oh there is a saw in there:).. he said it was left on the ranch when he bought the place 6 years ago. Seized or he thought so anyway crud everywhere spiders and mice nests inbedded in the flywheel. Put some tranny fluid and it cranked right over with 145psi. Must be a lot of McCulloch saws sitting in this town as this is the 2nd one this week. :clap:

Customer put a old McCulloch Pro 610 on my desk and said here ya go. I looked in the bag and just seen dirt..oh there is a saw in there:).. he said it was left on the ranch when he bought the place 6 years ago. Seized or he thought so anyway crud everywhere spiders and mice nests inbedded in the flywheel. Put some tranny fluid and it cranked right over with 145psi. Must be a lot of McCulloch saws sitting in this town as this is the 2nd one this week. :clap:

Indestructible saws, eh? That apparetentely is the reason people think they'reworth their weight in gold. :dizzy: Nearly NIB 610's are not worth 125 bucks, IMHO. There are just too many 610's and 605's out there for them to bring that much. The 650, however, is much rarer then the 610 and 605 IMO.

How much do you want for that one? :) Might be interested.

Last edited:
Got this sucker yesterday. Turns out to be a 795 (as expected). Seems to be really good compression. Had to do some parts swapping this morning to make it presentable. Mainly, the upper tank half had a big old hole knocked in it. Replaced a black part with a yellow one. This saw is going to need some serious cleaning. I did get it to fire with fuel down the throat of the carby. Compression release is pretty well gummed up, but not completely stuck.

Nice looking saw I think.

Chris B.

Mc795_1.jpg

Mc795_2.jpg

Got this sucker yesterday. Turns out to be a 795 (as expected). Seems to be really good compression. Had to do some parts swapping this morning to make it presentable. Mainly, the upper tank half had a big old hole knocked in it. Replaced a black part with a yellow one. This saw is going to need some serious cleaning. I did get it to fire with fuel down the throat of the carby. Compression release is pretty well gummed up, but not completely stuck.

Nice looking saw I think.

Chris B.

Mc795_1.jpg

Mc795_2.jpg

OOOOOOoooooooo!!!! Clean her up and get her running!! :blob2::blob2::blob2::blob2::blob2:

attachment.php

Okay... whoever the person was that worked on this before was a real rocket surgeon. since I've never met them, I'll just refer to them as dumbass (or DA for short) from now on.

DA apparently mushroomed the shaft trying to pull the clutch. when that didn't work out, he went at it with a screwdriver or something and actually bent the bottom of the bowl. in the process he screwed up the threads.

now the good news.

after filing the mushrooming off the shaft i was able to pull the nut off. luckily it turns out the nut threads gave way before the shaft got damaged too badly. i'll still have to chase the threads, but at least that is an option!

and i hate pulling things off tapered shafts. damn near shot the flywheel, the clutch, and the puller across the garage when things let loose. the penetrating oil did make it down the shaft, but everything was crazy tight. i'll use some anti-seize when i go back with it.

once i get the contacts out of the housing and get everything separated, I will clean it up a bit and post some pics, assuming i don't run into any more serious hurldes thrown down by DA.

Latest posts

Back