McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anybody have any information on a carb with the number of 53946c? I looked for about 2hrs last night trying to figure out what it goes to and couldnt find anything. The closest I found was a 53646b that went on a 2man saw. Its on the 890 I am working on, and I am not sure if its the one that is supposed to be on there or if its a larger carb than stock. The reason I am asking is, it looked like somebody took a grinder to the intake to widen it, it has a custom throttle rod, and the number doesnt match anything in my ipl for the 800 series. Just trying to figure out if its the correct carb or part of the porting that was done on it.

Mac 1-40

Ok, I cleaned the carb out again, went to the mower shop and bought a kit for it. I installed the kit and decided to give it a spin. Pulled the rope a few times and she fired! This time it kept running so I adjusted the carb a little after it warmed up a bit now it purrs like a kitten! Idle is better than my newer saws and roars when you hit the gas. Not nearly as loud as I expected but loud enough. I removed the mushrooming off the bar and filed it down smooth. Now I'm looking around the yard for a piece of wood to cut..

I do have a question about this saw. I assumed all these old saws have a manual oiler only, but this one seems to oil the chain without me pushing the button... this is the one with the front oil button. They didn't put an automatic oiler on the 1-40 did they?

Last edited:
Aled - The 110 is a Mini Mac which don't usually get warm fuzzies from a lot of guys. They can be nice little saws, but are a bit more difficult to work on as the whole engine has to come out of the case to access the carburetor.

Cliff & others - There are in fact guards that can go around the chain on the big gear drive saws, I have examples for either bar mount position. They do help keep the chips & oil from getting everywhere, but also tend to suffer a lot of abuse if the saw gets heavy use.

186670d1307528851-mcculloch-1-85-jpg

186671d1307528876-mcculloch-55-2-jpg

Mark

One thing about the Mini-Mac that I'm not crazy about is the fuel line being in a fixed position at the bottom of the tank. Seems ok when saw is upright but if you have less than a full tank and use the saw on it's side for an extended period of time I'd think it might run lean.

Like I have already said TWICE today, all I ever 'find' are dead mice ... you guys are brutal. :bang:

BTW, VERY nice find!

When you hunt for these all the time you're bound to stumble over one once in a while. There's a place several miles south of you that has saws every other weekend but I don't find bargains every time I'm there. You can find several different kinds of old chainsaws there but don't expect to find a $10 Stihl or Husqvarna...they try to get more out of them.
This is just one of four that I bought this weekend, the others are a running Homelite Super XL in great shape for $20 and a running Homelite 240 for $10. The other was a Poulan 1.8 that I bought for parts for $5. It didn't have the part I needed so I guess it goes in a box somewhere.
I posted on AS about a fellow that has about 50 some saws that he's wanting about $10 apiece for them but he won't sell them separately, some nice old saws in there but I didn't want to let go of that much money all at once.

Some (all?) of the 1-40's were equipped with the "Lubri Mac" system to scavenge "unburned oil and heavy crankcase residue" from the bottom of the crank case and redirect it to the chain. When that didn't work out so well (they recommended a 10:1 mix to provide enough oil!) they added the manual oiler on the front of the fuel tank.

Look on the bottom of the saw in the middle of the crank case, you will find a slotted/threaded plug. If you remove it (carefully) you will find a spring and disk type check valve that controls the flow from the crank case to the bar/chain.

Mark

I'm working on a Power Mac 6 and made a list of the parts I need.
Randy Duncan would probably have everything ......

Thanks

Hello WoodDean,

Could you or anyone else here provide a website or contact info for Randy Duncan?? Did you ever get the parts you needed for the Power Mac 6 ??

Hello WoodDean,

Could you or anyone else here provide a website or contact info for Randy Duncan?? Did you ever get the parts you needed for the Power Mac 6 ??

He always has hundreds (or thousands?) of listings going on feebay. Often has a pic of him in front of his black Dodge pickup in his listings for some reasons. The rest of his listings usualy have little screenshots from IPL's.

Off to go pick up an SP81 a guy's giving me in trade for working on his Homelite 750. Both saws will be in the back of my pickup within the hour. Just gotta go get the heavy ass boxes that my dear wife loaded into the truck out of there so I have room...

EXPLRN, Just scroll to the top of this page and click on the link to Chainsaw'r. Purchase from the folks that help keep this a FREE forum. Just my .02 DS

Last edited:
EXPLRN, Just scroll to the top of this page and click on the link to Chainsaw'r. Purchase from the folks that help keep this a FREE forum. Just my .02 DS

I agree Brad. Scott (Chainsaw'r) is a good guy in addition to being a site sponsor. I'm not a big fan of Randy Duncan's ebay auctions (and he ain't a site sponsor).....although he does sometimes have stuff that others don't.

Some (all?) of the 1-40's were equipped with the "Lubri Mac" system to scavenge "unburned oil and heavy crankcase residue" from the bottom of the crank case and redirect it to the chain. When that didn't work out so well (they recommended a 10:1 mix to provide enough oil!) they added the manual oiler on the front of the fuel tank.

Look on the bottom of the saw in the middle of the crank case, you will find a slotted/threaded plug. If you remove it (carefully) you will find a spring and disk type check valve that controls the flow from the crank case to the bar/chain.

Mark

Thanks Mark. I sure didn't know any of these saws had anything but the manual oiler. From the looks of it I believe mine is getting enough oil to the chain. I really was surprised when I first started it on my bench and it sprayed oil on it. I'll check out the bottom of it but I'm sure you're right.
I bought this saw just to resell it, but now I like it so much I think I'll just hang onto it..

The SP81 made it home with the Homelite 750 I'm working on (trading the labor for said SP81). The Mac's dirty, but looks like it has no broken parts other than the starter rope. Full wrap handlebar. Rim drive sprocket...................................and a 26-28" roller nose grey/black McCulloch labled bar! Haven't seen one of those on a McCulloch of this series around here before. Has a loop of 3/8" round chisel skip chain with some life left in it.

Has a few 'incorrect' screws on the starter housing, and most likely needs a carb rebuild and a new air filter.........in addition to a serious cleaning and a rope replacement. Think I may bring it to the GTG to tinker with a bit on Friday afternoon. Hope to have it running there. I'll shoot some pics and post them up when I get back from the GTG. Leaving for Randy's place tomorrow morning, and I still have a buncha stuff to do...

I posted my PM805 in the classifieds for sale. It is a parts/basket case missing muffler coil pull starter and the screws. pics in the ad./ SOLD

Last edited:
I agree Brad. Scott (Chainsaw'r) is a good guy in addition to being a site sponsor. I'm not a big fan of Randy Duncan's ebay auctions (and he ain't a site sponsor).....although he does sometimes have stuff that others don't.

Thanks, Eccentric and DS, for your thoughts regarding parts sourcing. I can see the value/virtue in supporting the site sponsors as the info available here is just invaluable!! :msp_thumbsup:

I know Randy has had a few problems with auctions but he told me that he is very busy and he has hired more help . I am going to talk to him about being an AS sponsor also.:rock: Steve

I know Randy has had a few problems with auctions but he told me that he is very busy and he has hired more help . I am going to talk to him about being an AS sponsor also.:rock: Steve

Sounds good. While you're helping him improve things..........................................PLEASE convince him to post pics of the actual items for sale, instead of the IPL shots or (even worse) that damn pic of him in front of his Dodge...

Sounds good. While you're helping him improve things..........................................PLEASE convince him to post pics of the actual items for sale, instead of the IPL shots or (even worse) that damn pic of him in front of his Dodge...

:laugh:

Yea, I don't like seeing him in every Listing and no good pics
of the item for sale.
I have always got the parts right away from him.

:laugh:

Yea, I don't like seeing him in every Listing and no good pics
of the item for sale.
I have always got the parts right away from him.

I've never actually bought anything from him. The lack of pics,,,,,,,,,and sometimes the shipping costs have stopped me. He does have a LOT of NOS stuff for sale. I should give him the benefit of the doubt I guess. I hope he becomes a sponsor here.

I've never actually bought anything from him. The lack of pics,,,,,,,,,and sometimes the shipping costs have stopped me. He does have a LOT of NOS stuff for sale. I should give him the benefit of the doubt I guess. I hope he becomes a sponsor here.

Low shipping costs to me in New Zealand is one of the reason's i've bought from Randy, also helps he has most of the parts i've needed so ship as one lot.

I've used Randy when I can't find it cheaper and he is the only one with it. He always shipped fast and I never had an issue with anything from him. He does seem a bit higher but he always treated me fair.

But I do agree that picture of him and the dogs...lol

Latest posts

Back