McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this the proper time line bar for the CP70? This is a nos bar I have, the one that came on it was similar, but had a bunch of paint wear.... not sure if it said Mac 10?

IMG_7621.jpg

:beauty3:

I'm not a fan of them, I dont even consider those to be mcculloch. On the bright side though, they're very cheap to buy and they probably cut ok.

I'm no fan either. The last couple plasti-Macs I've opened looked to have made by Jenn Feng. Take a look at the coil, if it's got a big JF on it ...

Awesome 1-72! One of my all time favorites. Does it still have the Town & Country muffler?

Bypass the govenor and let that bad boy eat!

damn, learn something new everyday

My SP-81 has a fixed H-jet Walbro SDC like the one Joe pictured. IIRC it is an SDC52A. I have an SDC38A fully adjustable carb that I will swap on as soon as I can get myself to drill the carb box for the carb needle pass-through grommet. It does run pretty well with the current carb (as you've seen and heard) but I like to be able to adjust my carbs for different altitudes and other conditions.

It is funny that my SP-81 works fine both here and at the park we cut in (Bothe Napa Valley State Park), while my fully adjustable PM700 requires a retune when I go from one place to the other because of the elevation change. Tuned correctly at home, it's pig-rich at Bothe. Tuned right for Bothe, and it's very lean back at home. The SP-81 doesn't seem to care much other than seeming a tad too rich at park (on the H-side), but it needed a MAJOR retune on the L-side for it to run right at that elevation....

Thats one clean 1-72 Doug.
Great find.

Lee

I agree. That saw is CHERRY.:clap:

Comp is about 105psi. I did get a IPL thanks to the AS. Looks like I need a muffler, air filter and a carb kit.

I'm guessing these run a .404 chain, the distance between three rivets is 7/8ths.

Mine came with is solid nose 20" bar in reasonable shape and I can probably get another couple of sharpenings on the chain.

Regards,

Lee

PPS My 1-42 has an HL 87C carb, Tillotson don't list it in their kit list so I was wondering which kit I should use to rebuild. Feebay has many different HL kits for sale and I don't want to get the wrong one. Maybe they are almost the same don't know.

Lee

Finally here are some photos, enjoy!

Lee,

Ah the elusive Town and Country muffler. I believe Mark described the two settings as loud and LOUD.:D

As for the governor, it is an air vane type. The air vane arm (under the flywheel cover) has a spring that forces it towards the flywheel. The arm has a shaft that passes through the lower tank/carb box. On the end of that shaft is a forked arm that bears on a roller attached to the left side throttle shaft arm of the carb. Spring pressure on this governor hardware tries to open the throttle. The trigger has a strong spring that forces the trigger forward (which in turn pulls the throttle link back).

The throttle link attached to the trigger pulls back on the right side 'hooked' throttle arm of the carb because of this spring tension. The trigger spring is stronger than the governor spring, so the trigger 'wins' the 'tug of war' between the trigger and the governor. When you pull the trigger, the throttle link moves forward, allowing the throttle arm to move forward under governor spring pressure. Once the engine RPM's come up enough, the air vane is pushed away from the flywheel and the governor spring is overcome.....closing the throttle. When this happens, the hooked throttle arm rotates away from the throttle link.

Remove your flywheel cover, air filter cover, and air filter. Move the trigger and the air vane with your hand and watch everything to see how all the parts interact with each other. You'll understand it then. It's all a balancing act between two springs (trigger and governor) and the air vane.

On my saws, the governors were all disabled by prior owners cutting the vane off of the governor arm. The 'balancing act' between springs still happens (as the governor arm is still mostly intact, and still has its spring), but the governor arm no longer closes the throttle once the engine reaches a certain RPM as there's no vane to be pushed by the air coming off of the flywheel.

Last edited:
Back