McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
is there any pics of that , or is there another carb that is more desirable to replace ? Termite

On the left, get rid of the catch that slots in the fork of the air vane. On the right, swap out a linkage plate off of an HL63. Then, make up a linkage or rob one from any of the non-governed saws. 440, 740, 790, 795, 797, etc.

Just don't forget to adjust the tuning.

Another alternative to changing the linkage, etc. is just clip off the governor arm, or swap your good one with someone that has one clipped or broken off. The yoke and spring on the governor shaft will pull the throttle open and the original linkage will still pull it closed. Very, very easy to do and keeps everything except the actual governor arm OEM.

Mark

Any love for these old beasts? I understand it's based on a kart engine with a Tilly HL carb and obviously the RH recoil.

attachment.php

Is $95 too much for this rascal? Guy is being a bit difficult to read on his $95/OBO approach, seemingly hoping for more offers and sorta stringing me out.

Pm 570

Here are a few teasers of the PM570 project. I am sure this one came off e-bay but I don't remember when. After going through a few SP80/81/81E saws and the recent PM805 I decided it was time for this one. Oh yeah, I finally finished that 1-76/86 project so I thought I should be rewarded with something easier.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Notice how the shroud on this it one piece and all sheet metal. There are two missing screws that would normally hold the flywheel cover in place on this model compared to the SP/PM saws, that will be easier to see when I get the flywheel cover cleaned up and posted.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Also notice how thick the bottom flange on the intake boot is since this saw does not have the thicker cast plate on top of the cylinder.

attachment.php

It should be too wet to work in the yard Saturday so I expect I will have a chance to get this one back together. NOS piston (with rings) arrived today, as did a 42" roller nose cannon bar that should make an appearance at the GTG on 27 April.

Mark

It appears that the governor shaft from the fan has been disconnected, and they did some goobering with the linkage on the right , i'll have to clean that up a bit . But i'm working on getting the stuff to bring her up to speed. Thanks for the info guys Termite

hey fellas, new here. i got my dads mc 1-53 running. any leads on a bar and chain for it. would love a
24" bar. it has an oregon 18" 058 guage bar but no chain.... if this is in wrong place, sorry....

Well after waiting four long years with a training movie package off ebay i finally in the final stages cof getting these movies ready only got to add sound and Uncle Bob's ya man.

Heres the 3 movies i have spent all day scan and saving for the basics of the movies the record player is on its way from sydney so the sound tracks can be recorded and added again to these movies

The movies are

The Old Grey Mare

The story behind the spark

Power Package

Might be fortunate to have them complete by the end of next week just for all the old Mac Movie buffs out there

McBob

Last edited:
hey fellas, new here. i got my dads mc 1-53 running. any leads on a bar and chain for it. would love a
24" bar. it has an oregon 18" 058 guage bar but no chain.... if this is in wrong place, sorry....

If you want to find an original 24" (hardnose) bar, keep watching e-bay as they will come up with some frequency. You may find it is just a cost effective (i.e. cheap) to buy an entire saw that no one else it too interested in to get a bar. Chain will be no problem, just about anyone can make up a loop and even most Stihl dealers can get a loop of .404 chain with 77 DL.

If you want to update to a sprocket nose bar, customchainsawparts on e-bay has some 24" grey painted bars with McCulloch printed on them for $20-$30. These are not replaceable sprocket nose bars, more like a consumer bar but chances are you won't cut enough wood with the 1-53 to wear one out anyway unless you happen to be a genuine brute and love to endure hardships.

If all else fails, contact me as I have several well used 24" OEM type hardnose bars but Ted thinks my prices are too high...

Mark

Ohio chainsaw GTG

I started a thread in the firewood forum, but wanted to make a post here since this is often the only thread on AS I keep up with. I am having a GTG on June 8th in west central ohio. It is open to all but I would really like to see a good representation of old Macs.
On a related note, I just picked up these two saws off of a Toledo craigslist ad. The 1-53 starts good and seems to run good. the D36 (I've wanted one of the center pull Macs for awhile now) Is in excellent shape, it starts easy enough but seems to be terribly rich and the carb didn't seem to respond properly when I tried to adjust it. I am going to dump the gas it came with and try again with my fuel.
Mcc153_zps81bb3fbd.jpg

MccD36_zps1855d55f.jpg

The D36 gas cap seems to have something missing in it's center. There is a sintered brass breather on the side of the cap but the center is open. I don't have any other caps like it to see whats missing. Any insight?
MccD36gascap_zps79e2dff1.jpg

I don't find a parts breakdown of the fuel cap in any of my IPL's so what you see is what you get.

Mark

Thanks Mark! Now does any one have a spare like this? I have one spare cap but it is the unvented style.

If all else fails, contact me as I have several well used 24" OEM type hardnose bars but Ted thinks my prices are too high...

Mark

WAIT JUST A SECOND, YOUNG MAN ...

That 'blanket' statement is kind of misleading .... I've gotten parts from you on more than one occasion (Mac 35 carb kit / SP full-wrap / etc); always thought your prices to be fair and your packing innovative. Only on the bars did we reach an impasse.

:givebeer:

Finally got my PM60 running (Thanks Ted for the starter bushings) and it runs great. Until it warms up. Then can't adjust the idle down. Dam, figure it needs seals. Anyone got a lead on seals?
Okay it could be a hole in the fuel line but the line is new. Carb gasket?

pm me a price of a 24" bar with chain and i will see about the price... lol just trying to put a smile on my dads face to see this thing back n action.. it runs great after carb kit and cleaning. would i have to modify for the oil holes on ur bars...thanks greg

If you want to find an original 24" (hardnose) bar, keep watching e-bay as they will come up with some frequency. You may find it is just a cost effective (i.e. cheap) to buy an entire saw that no one else it too interested in to get a bar. Chain will be no problem, just about anyone can make up a loop and even most Stihl dealers can get a loop of .404 chain with 77 DL.

If you want to update to a sprocket nose bar, customchainsawparts on e-bay has some 24" grey painted bars with McCulloch printed on them for $20-$30. These are not replaceable sprocket nose bars, more like a consumer bar but chances are you won't cut enough wood with the 1-53 to wear one out anyway unless you happen to be a genuine brute and love to endure hardships.

Mark

I did finish up the PM570 saw today. I had the cylinder soaking in Berryman's for a few days so the baked on carbon and crud all cleaned off pretty easily. Unfortunately, when the locating pins came loose they nicked the cylinder pretty good. I have been looking around and have not seen anyone with the PM570 cylinder, I was able to find one NOS piston with rings. I decided I'd put it together for now and keep looking for a cylinder so I can change it out later on if something comes up. I won't run it a lot so I expect this piston and rings will still be good to go.

I only remembered to get one photo as it was going together but you can see some of differences between this model and the other PM anti-vibe saws. Since that sheet metal shroud wraps all the way around there is nothing for the two top/rear screws to attach to, so McCulloch simply plugged those two holes.

attachment.php

Finished saw looks used, no doubt it cut a lot of wood before it made its way to me.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mark

Latest posts

Back