McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know you're "doin' your part" with that post Ron... But there is a sticky thread in the chainsaw forum called "I saw it on ebay/CL" just for posts like that.

Keeps the rest of the forum "uncluttered"

Gary

I know you're "doin' your part" with that post Ron... But there is a sticky thread in the chainsaw forum called "I saw it on ebay/CL" just for posts like that.

Keeps the rest of the forum "uncluttered"

Gary

Oops! Almost posted a link to a real nice-looking S-44 here........:D

(I really was.)

Last edited:
The little guys are camera hams. They don't mind the McCullochs, the black took to pissin' on the only stihl I had, so I got rid of it.

They completely ignored the little blue saw and treated the 5-20 with caution.

Now that was funny, was worth a rep but I have to spread it first!

RandyMac, I am just trying to pay back some of the help I've gotten from the MACMen. By the way, I believe I am only a couple of more emails away from my own SP125C. Ron

ATVG - That 10 Series saw has an automatic oiler which rules out the smaller or older 10 Series models. I would expect it is a 10-10, but check the bore (you can simply pull the muffler and inserts something an measure it: the 54 cc saws (1-10, 2-10. 3-10, 4-10, 5-10, 10-10) are 1.75" bore, the 70 cc versions (6-10, 7-10, CP 70, etc.) are 2.00" bore.

Gary - Somewhere in a thread here I have some information on the 10 Series flat back (bullfrog) carburetors, biggest problems are finding a replacement for the little black duck bill valves. In the other thread I show how I modified the carburetor a little to accept the small red Homelite duck bill used in fuel caps. The little McCulloch carburetors are quite different in that you set the high speed mixture by adjusting the position of the throttle that causes the high speed mix needle be withdrawn (or not so much) from the orifice that passes fuel into the carburetor. I have some good information and one day when time allows I will try to put together a more detailed thread. See the attached for some additional information.

attachment.php

Ron - you may have hit something and not known it. I have run .375 pitch chain on 80 and 90 cc saws and the only chain I broke was completely worn out anyway.

Mark

During the past week I was in Council Bluffs (IA) anyway so I made the short drive over to Lincoln (NE) to see my pal Sprintcar.

Jerry had picked up a McCulloch model 47 saw and was holding it for me. Here it is at home, at last...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I am not sure what they made those mufflers out of, but I wish modern saw makers would take the hint as they all seem to last forever and look good too.

Thanks again to Jerry, I promise that this winter I will get one of the 47's running...

And by the way, he has a great collection of saws as well including McCullochs, Homelites, and Stihls to name a few.

Mark

In my quest to put together the entire McCulloch 600 Series with my older son Jeff, I saw this come up on e-bay last week. It arrived on Saturday and will need some work but I expect we can make it live again.

At this point we have the 605, 610, 650, Eager Beaver, Timber Bear, and Pro Mac 5700 and still looking for the 655 and the 600 Series Silver Eagle.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mark

attachment.php

mark- i came across a NOS 655 in a feed store in W. N.Y. a few months back while visiting friends. i tried to get a price from them but they are taking their time. i think the old price tag said $345 or so. if this interests you pm me and i'll give you their number and see if you can get their attention.

You need to find Mike Acres site, Chain Saw Collectors Corner.

If I were clever enough I would attach a link.

1970-72, 72 cc, gear drive (Acres site says it's convertable to direct drive). 1/2" pitch was standard, .404 optional.

I have a 7-10 which is the same bore & stroke, one of my favorite saws to run and what a BARK!.

Mark

Last edited:
During the past week I was in Council Bluffs (IA) anyway so I made the short drive over to Lincoln (NE) to see my pal Sprintcar.

Jerry had picked up a McCulloch model 47 saw and was holding it for me. Here it is at home, at last...

I am not sure what they made those mufflers out of, but I wish modern saw makers would take the hint as they all seem to last forever and look good too.

Thanks again to Jerry, I promise that this winter I will get one of the 47's running...

And by the way, he has a great collection of saws as well including McCullochs, Homelites, and Stihls to name a few.

Mark

Looks great Mark. Got the McCulloch 77 buttoned up tonight. That was an adventure. Letting the gasket sealer cure overnight. Gonna fire it up tomorrow. Need to get a bar nut and a couple of bolts for the handlebar, and that's it. It still could use a detail strip (down to the short block at least) and a good cleaning. The metering diaphragm is not in the best of shape, but isn't torn. Hopefuly you'll be able to find an NOS set of diaphragms and gaskets (or maybe have Joe S make repros) at some point. Assuming the carb system now works as it should (come on metering diaphragm...), you will soon have a bigger brother for those McCulloch 47's to look up to.....:cheers:

Last edited:
I put the 550 power head with a couple of chains and the spare grip in a box, need to get the bar packed separately at some point.

If you think of anything else that needs to go in the box let me know as I have not sealed it up yet. I have spare LH starters and parts if you are still looking anything.

Mark

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mark

Glad you got her home safe and sound. I've got a line on another McCulloch of unknown vintage and a line on a 650. Sorry, no 795's 797's but if it's yellow, I'm gonna go look. Now that ole 47 has a good home.

Throwin' my hat in the ring...

Glad you got her home safe and sound. I've got a line on another McCulloch of unknown vintage and a line on a 650. Sorry, no 795's 797's but if it's yellow, I'm gonna go look. Now that ole 47 has a good home.

I know I'd be very interested in a McCulloch 650 (that's if it's the 'old' style 650, and not of the 610 family like the Wards branded saw that Mark pictured above) if you want to part with it after you pick it up. Same for a 660...

Last edited:
Two Restoration Questions

I'm still looking for the ideal donor PM850. I'm watching one on EBay that has the worst paint blistering I have ever seen. What can I expect to find under the paint - a nightmare of pits or something I can sand smooth and repaint?

I'm getting ready to sell my DE80 to help pay for all the fun I am having. It has a chipped air filter cover and I have a replacement. How can I remove and reuse the decals off the chipped cover? Razor blade and some Goop Off? Thanks for all the help. Ron

Back