McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before I left I had packed a few old saws and sent them along to Mr. Bowsaw, perhaps one day we will get to see them after he has worked his magic on them...

Anyway, he (Cliff) is such a good guy, he sent me a couple of things in return. First up, a cut off attachment that will a fit most any of the large frame McCulloch saws. I will need to find a new belt and make up a cover to fit over the hub, but I should have one cut off saw finished and up on the shelf in a few days time.

239685d1338169086-dsc00762-jpg

That cutoff attachment looks familiar. Cliff posted a pic of it a while ago before he removed it from the Super 250 that I now have. One big family...:D

In addition, he sent me this nice looking 1-51. I don't have one up on the shelf yet, and this one looks like it will need very little to make it a runner and then I can scratch one more off the list.

239686d1338169090-dsc00758-jpg

Thanks Cliff, you are a real gentleman.

Mark

Cliff truely is a gentleman, and has helped me out more than a few times.:clap:

Do coils just go bad sitting on a shelf? it ran great when i last set it down. Wierd

Brian

I've seen that happen with electronic ign coils used in some late '70s/early '80s saws. Most notably the blue coils used in many Homelites (and some Partners).:bang:

Brian - I have not had real good luck with the electronic coils used in the Titan series saws, at least one failed with the saw setting on the shelf and another failed when it was off the saw!

Go figure...

I may have to check into Joey's note on the 10-10S coil fitting the Italian Macs, that would sure be an easy fixe.

Mark

Brian - I have not had real good luck with the electronic coils used in the Titan series saws, at least one failed with the saw setting on the shelf and another failed when it was off the saw!

Go figure...

I may have to check into Joey's note on the 10-10S coil fitting the Italian Macs, that would sure be an easy fixe.

Mark

you can see the 10-series coil and the titan coil. i used the lamination from the titan coil to make it work
attachment.php

attachment.php

this is on a 620 titan though, it is probably different compared to a 50/57 but i'm not sure about that
attachment.php

you can see the 10-series coil and the titan coil. i used the lamination from the titan coil to make it work
attachment.php

attachment.php

this is on a 620 titan though, it is probably different compared to a 50/57 but i'm not sure about that
attachment.php

I need the process explained a little, I guess. The laminations wear out or go bad?

I need the process explained a little, I guess. The laminations wear out or go bad?

There is a good thread on this....a while back...good luck finding it. When the coils go bad a different on can be slid over the poles. This is why I never turn down a free cheap poulan, those coils are near universal.

So the black coil is off the Titan? Thats where my problem, I guess, is, as I would have thought that was off the 10-10. The yellow one looks like one from a 600 series, which may well also work on a ten series.

So the black coil is off the Titan? Thats where my problem, I guess, is, as I would have thought that was off the 10-10. The yellow one looks like one from a 600 series, which may well also work on a ten series.

yes, the black coil is the Titan origainal, the lamination that i used is the Titan original as well.

the later model 10-10 saws used the same coil. you can see how short the wire is in the photo. if it were a 600 series, that wire would be much longer.

yes, the black coil is the Titan origainal, the lamination that i used is the Titan original as well.

the later model 10-10 saws used the same coil. you can see how short the wire is in the photo. if it were a 600 series, that wire would be much longer.

So they had a Ducatii (sp) coil. Thanks for helping a thick head through. I have replaced the wire in that yellow style coil, not fun, but doable.

Well another option would be on a saw that had an unobtainable electronic ignition is to fit a early coil providing it fits the mounting post and wire in one of those cheap modules

McBob.

I got back out to cut the other tree and excercise the pm1000 a little bit. I forgot to include the saw in my picture, but I did get a shot of the yellow tractor though.

Jeff

mcculloch 800 series question

the other day, i got boxed filled of Mcculloch chainsaws, all looks like 800 series, and I end up with few different style. Anyway, funny thing is that one says 850 had electric ignition with old type flywheel. I thought when they come with electric ignition, it always comes with new style flywheel ( with a lot of fins ) .

while searching some information, 850 had both style, but this is my 1st time to see this combination. Has anybody changed the flywheel / or coil ? Or they made that way ??????

I believe the first 850's had the same 'old' style flywheel as the SP-81E (last of the SP-81's..........and the only SP-80/81 saws to have electronic ign). A box filled with McCulloch chainsaws that all look to be 82cc? That's a whole lotta goodness right there.:cheers:

the other day, i got boxed filled of Mcculloch chainsaws, all looks like 800 series, and I end up with few different style. Anyway, funny thing is that one says 850 had electric ignition with old type flywheel. I thought when they come with electric ignition, it always comes with new style flywheel ( with a lot of fins ) .

while searching some information, 850 had both style, but this is my 1st time to see this combination. Has anybody changed the flywheel / or coil ? Or they made that way ??????

PM850s were all electronic ignition of one of two types (early two piece or later one piece). There appears to be three flywheels: two 12 fin and one 24 fin. The changes in flywheels don't seem to exactly coincide with the change in ignitions. I have replaced the old two piece ignition with the one piece and it works.

If you got any spares of the PM800 variety (dsp on side) that you want to part with please let me know.

Ron

I believe the first 850's had the same 'old' style flywheel as the SP-81E (last of the SP-81's..........and the only SP-80/81 saws to have electronic ign). A box filled with McCulloch chainsaws that all look to be 82cc? That's a whole lotta goodness right there.:cheers:

so, it did have that combination, then. One question solved, Thanks. I was scratching my head swapping the flywheels from one to the other. They fit, but because of the thickness, one will not work. Well then here is a new question, what's the difference between Sp81E and pro mac 850 ? just the name and some cosmetic diffenece ????

so, it did have that combination, then. One question solved, Thanks. I was scratching my head swapping the flywheels from one to the other. They fit, but because of the thickness, one will not work. Well then here is a new question, what's the difference between Sp81E and pro mac 850 ? just the name and some cosmetic diffenece ????

The cast lower handle brace of the SP-81 was replaced by the sheet alluminum "boot plate" and rear AV rubber mount (at tail of the rear handle, where the boot plate attaches) of the PM850. A few other minor differences too (such as the different tank/carb box/handle casting for the PM850, which incorporates the op-pres lever/throttle lock setup like what's seen on later 10-series saws).

The engines can be swapped between them. I have a replacement piston/cylinder/oil tank "kit" (with paperwork) from McCulloch for these saws. It states the kit is intended for SP-81 and PM850 saws. Ron, Joey33, and StinkBait are the guys here who've had the most 82cc Macs apart. Despite their resistance to the term, those three gentlemen are our 82cc series Mac experts. I can't help but be a bit jealous of your score (box of 82cc McGoodness). We eagerly watch to see if you're going to part with any of it (course thread PM800/805 DSP valves included). :D

Last edited:
Looks like a Super 44 or Super 44A (with a replacement muffler) that has been repainted. Can't put a value on it, since I know nothing of the internal condition. That sounds a bit steep to me though.

Back